Sign in to follow this  
holly

Groups ,On Paper or Metal ?

I was shooting yesterday on our zero range , at 55 yards . there was a board with paper on it and next to it a metal target . i must have fired at least 50 pellets between them . on the paper no decent groups were visible . just the odd shot touching . ( very tricky wind in our wood , half of it is on a hill , half flat with a open field behind it ) BUT on the metal target , which was at the same height and only two feet away . windage was mostly an inch right to left and the groups were mostly within an inch or better . i have noticed this before , which is why i don't often shoot at paper ( unless indoors or when the leaves are fully back on the trees ) . conclusion , Paper Lies , Metal Tells The Truth ??? HOLLY

Just need redictability and consistency who cares what it groups like to an extent.

I like groups Jon . they don't win anything in FT but if the rifle will not group . then proper zeroing is not possible , you will just be chasing the error . windage is more important . i am seriously considering retiring my old shutz and having the barrel machined to fit my steyr . ??? HOLLY

Wont fit

Pain to sleeve up and never ever look right.

Yep probably right , shame . damn good barrel that ??? HOLLY

I’ve noticed the same. I always check zero on a metal plate,you get a more pronounced mark compared to paper. 

Only fooling yourselves.

The splat on plate is much bigger than a hole in paper which is why people say they can't shoot paper but can plate. 

Paper. You want results, work at them, don't shy away from them. 

Depends on the paint . personally my accuracy test is to shoot for the quarter inch bolts that hold the target to the stand . if you can get those on out to 55 yards . you don''t have much to worry about ??? HOLLY

Unlikely they are 1/4”. 

The standard bolt head size for the thread that goes through a knockover is 13mm. Ie 1/2” ish. 

We use smaller bolts cos the standards  at Carisbrooke are higher rob ??? HOLLY:f2:

Rob's right, the splat on metal is deceptive as it is far bigger than a pellet sized hole in paper. Add in the curve of the pellet coming in like a mortar and it's not reliable at all.

By all means if you want to massage your ego shoot metal and imagine those overlapping splats are a nice tight group, but if you want to see truth then shoot to a point on paper and offset your scope so that it is a true point.

foolish boy . FT is all about confidence . you won't get that shooting paper . as said shoot for the bolts that hold the target to the stand . if you can hit those . you don't have to worry ??? HOLLY

7 hours ago, holly said:

foolish boy . FT is all about confidence . you won't get that shooting paper . as said shoot for the bolts that hold the target to the stand . if you can hit those . you don't have to worry ??? HOLLY

Just remember not to do that in a competition....ah actually that sounds like a great idea for you.....:rolleyes:

15 hours ago, holly said:

You will get confidence once your groups are good. If you're pretending they're good by clipping something with a splat and pretending that's just as tight then you're kidding yourself and you'll know that. Nothing matters for anyone else but plate hides evidence of problems that paper reveals. It's the difference between knowing what's happening and believing what's happening.

Couldnt care less what it does on paper, its whether its predictable on the target going at.

Didnt do me any harm some people just cant shoot paper within 1/2" at 30 yds, yet chuck a 15mm at 40+ its gone proper wind or not.

Well we have plenty of wind and rain today Jon . just waiting to see if it will stop ??? HOLLY

8 minutes ago, holly said:

Well we have plenty of wind and rain today Jon . just waiting to see if it will stop ??? HOLLY

No, tomorrow is better with the weekend best of all.

Just have a day tweaking then treat Chris to pie and chips at the pie shop...:rolleyes:

Fully tweaked and i think egg and bacon ??? HOLLY

2 hours ago, holly said:

Fully tweaked and i think egg and bacon ??? HOLLY

I see the die-T is going well...:rolleyes: