holly

The Regional's .

17 minutes ago, Darron said:

The weather is always going to be or should be the prime consideration when setting courses. Another 5mph of wind on that course on Sunday and it would have been carnage. I spoke to Calps and he wasn’t happy with the length of the course. 

Andy? Wasnt it his work?

Yea but obviously he didn’t do it all on his own, I think he thought that the “helpers” had got a bit carried away.

On 10/04/2018 at 8:42 AM, robF said:

If you stick a target at 30 yards a good shooter can't hit any better than one that isn't so good.

The champs saw 140+ booked in. Think weather probably trimmed that down to 110. The 1st GP has 3 spaces left, the 2nd is filling up fast. 

I think everyone I spoke to there thought it was a really good weekend. Well organised, good atmosphere, some great shooting. 

Instead of looking at the scores at the top rob . have a look at the scores at the bottom om sunday . did they enjoy the shoot . did they have a good ride home . it is not all about the top shots . something for everybody . ??? HOLLY

So far I've not heard one single complaint.

Well when I say that I mean from the people that were actually there...

And good luck to em . hopefully they will all be back for more ??? HOLLY

I think they will Holls it was a superb event. As far as the money is concerned I think we get FT on the cheap.

3 hours ago, holly said:

Instead of looking at the scores at the top rob . have a look at the scores at the bottom om sunday . did they enjoy the shoot . did they have a good ride home . it is not all about the top shots . something for everybody . ??? HOLLY

Heres me thinking it was two competitions on two days to sort the men from the boys not a get together.

That s the easy get out clause, if its worth winning it has to be worth shooting. If other regions started doing what my regions done on its own bat i wonder how many B and above will be shooting in the near future. What that means is 19 out of our top 30 didnt do more than 3 shoots, ask em why and it aint clocks.

Yes i would agree with you about the saturday Jon . but the of the 15 men that used to make up the teams for the sunday  . 6 to 8 of those were just filling up places a lot of the time .  and how many double A shots are out there now ??? HOLLY

13 hours ago, holly said:

Yes i would agree with you about the saturday Jon . but the of the 15 men that used to make up the teams for the sunday  . 6 to 8 of those were just filling up places a lot of the time .  and how many double A shots are out there now ??? HOLLY

It doesn't matter what grade people are, just the scores. Top score for our team was shared by AA & A.

You might think 6-8 were making up numbers but you weren't in the region then so you don't know how strong the competition was for them, or proud people were to have won them.

I was trying to get across the idea that everybody is not a top shot and courses for the team event should  take that into account . it took me five years of trying to get into SEFTAs regional team . so don't try to tell me about proud Rob . and we won it that year . damn right  ??? HOLLY :thumb:

PS not that my score counted .:doh:

Just a load of pussies nowadays, chuck em out 90 degrees to a strong wind the skilled will hit, have sum fun for a change.

Mr calpin started the 90 degree bit on lanes . i think it takes away some of the skill and puts back an amount of luck Jon . if you have two targets in the same plane . there are two advantages to it . 1/ you don't lose time shuffling around on the bean bag to get to the second one . 2/ if you miss the first one for wind . a skilled competitor can if he has good follow through . see the pellets in the air and can adjust his aim for the second target . with two targets at 90 degrees . if you miss the first one , you then have no idea what to give the second . ??? HOLLY

PS But feel free to stick targets in as much wind as you can find Jon .

If you have no idea what to give the second then you have no idea what to give the first either.

Done wrongly affected other targets.
Still not with me, said 90 degrees to wind direction and dont shy away nothing about the stupidity

Thing is once a course is all 90 to the wind once you've got it you've got it, just a question of amplitude... lots of old style courses were like that, a line, maybe reverse down the other way, or a line change but all in a line... shooters get comfy with it then lose the ability to shoot courses which vary the exposure and angle and ask the shooter to read the wind for every target. 

One of the nice things about wales was that it wasn't super long, it just demanded you read each target. That way it was the shooter and not the kit that made the difference, much more of a leveller.

I lost the last target of the league that was 40 yards because it was slightly different to the shorter target in the same lane. That means my rig is no advantage but my skills are (or in that case, weren't)

I've got no real issue with splayed targets in a lane as long as it's a trick repeated not to often for the sake of it, and it doesn't slow the whole thing down. 

If you miss the first one for wind  and see the miss . then you have something to base your next shots windage on . all supposing they are somewhere near each other . if they are at 90 degrees . each shot is a best guess . experience , luck . what ever ??? HOLLY

Edited by holly

19 hours ago, holly said:

If you miss the first one for wind  and see the miss . then you have something to base your next shots windage on . all supposing they are somewhere near each other . if they are at 90 degrees . each shot is a best guess . experience , luck . what ever ??? HOLLY

Its skill not luck or guesswork that FT has become, merely poking and hoping.

Targets nowadays are just not put in positions that might just might catch any available wind. If no choice theyre chucked out 25 to 30 yards not 55 in the past the skilled would hit.

Not fond of straight line stuff either ala Millride last 18 months boring, not to mention the short ranges now thrown out for C graders and not using best part of the ground. In the past has been curves to sweeps, uphill, downhill and high shots, not any more just want it thrown out quick.

Then have the observation pick 5 weather reports and all tell porkies, cant even get the drift direction right - Just lamp the best course you can out the best will still win.

Jon stop thinking about it , just get your rifle . go down the club . chill out and shoot the course . relax . nothing better than a shoot to take your mind off the workaday worries and problems . then go home , walk the dog . down the pub . couple of pints . go home . a good curry . and then see if the missus is in a good mood . now that is a good day . ??? HOLLY:):thumb:

Thats why I like blaenau gwents ground, tricky wind and all kinds of angles. good test of skill.

That's not Blaneau Gwent. You're thinking of the GP venue that was on top of a hill. Think it was 2006 or 7 last shot there. Blaneau Gwent is on a side of a hill.

Oh right . dunno . i thought that was the one on top of the hill . top score there was 23 . i got 19 but shot one out of order . bainsee got i think 13 . same as dopper . i know they said there was another club at the bottom of the hill in the woods . why were we not shooting there i wonder. ??? HOLLY

PS still Jon would have loved it .

I thought Jon did it. Not sure.

I was there 1st or 2nd season of mine. It wasn't the one where it was won on low score, it was a hot day. 11 people DQ'd on the chrono if I remember correctly. I remember Rich Chasemore going straight over a rat's back on a kneeler such was the shift either on gun or scope. Almost 360 degrees around a hill farm.

BG is somewhere else. You should get up to the GP's hols. Get over the wet bit and there's usually a space in my motor. I'll either wear ear plugs or get the gaffa tape out, but the courses these days are evolving by the year and quite a few are not to be missed. Not easy, testing, not old school either, but they're there for the shooting. Some good shooting as well these days. Stand still in FT and go backwards very quickly, always been the same, still true.

Personally can't wait till Buccs get the parking sorted. We could do 3 GP's there in a year and none would be the same. So many possible lines through there it would be a hard job to exhaust the ground. Further down behind the plink has some monster areas for targets.

Gonna do three GPs . Springfield . East devon , Bisley . three GPs three rifles . open for me . looking forward to it . andy says he will do all of em ? had his Ripper serviced  and looking to move up the grades . and with some luck The Euros . ??? HOLLY

You can count on one hand number of GP's done including 2013.

Last welsh GP did was Evans joint 2012?

Last GP done Far Coley 2016, got it again this year out of turn.