Sign in to follow this  
Eaton Rifles

ProSport Tinkering....

I must admit my knowledge of the dark arts i.e. boingers is limited to gas-rams but nonetheless one must tinker like the alchemists of old otherwise life is far too boring.

So I have a beautiful ProSort, one of the early ones obtain by Les Sproat for me from one of his forays to see his mate Bill at Air Arms towers.

It's always dieseled, not badly but enough to irritate me but I thought no matter it's new and eventually it will settle down. Well roll on 10 years and despite having about a tin through it it's still dieseling so after my (apparent) recent graphite success with the Anschutz I thought time to get stripping.

So dead simple to strip and I was presented with a gunky, awful mess that smelt like an old taxi, so degreased everything, then polished up the compression tube and finally added a squirt or three of graphite directly into the compression chamber. Fed the piston in and then worked everything up and down to get an even coverage. Put everything back together and dry-cocking everything seems nice and smooth so I go for a first shot over the chrono....777fps with no dieseling so I leave it there and go to bed....:rolleyes:

I'll try it up the range today if I get a chance but initial impressions are a lovely smooth cocking action and very fast firing cycle almost reminiscent of a gas-ram. Early days but so far I'm more than happy.

Be interesting to see how it gets on after a few hundred pellets down the barrel. Don’t be surprised if the fps goes up as the graphite starts to do its thing. 

Put a few hundred through it Sunday and since and it's still shooting sweet as a nut. It has a slightly strange firing cycle, more like a very sharp 'phut!' as I say very reminiscent of the quickness of a gas-ram but without the brutal. jaw-breaking recoil.

Put it over the chrono this morning after firing a few shots and we're now at a steady 780-785 with AA Fields though I tried with Snipers on Sunday and it seemed to love them though they are tight in the breech.

When I get a chance I'll strip down again and see how the graphite has distributed itself in the compression chamber.

Few weeks on and the old girl is still going strong. Now that everything has calmed down a bit I’ll take up the ground today and see how performance is at range.

Well, a couple of months on and everything is still good, no grinding noises on cocking just so smooth and sublime to shoot with a quick snappy shot cycle reminiscent of a gas-ram. After doing this and the Sirocco I really can’t recommend graphite enough as a piston lube as apart from the smoothness it seems much more consistent across different temperatures.