Sign in to follow this  
holly

Grandad ?

Grandad goes home tomorrow , my advice is to make sure you lock up your chrono's ??? HOLLY

4 hours ago, holly said:

Grandad goes home tomorrow , my advice is to make sure you lock up your chrono's ??? HOLLY

Deep joy, the LabRadar is at the SEFTA GP tomorrow so hopefully he won't shoot that...:rolleyes:

Gran dad is coming to a chrono near you . SOON ??? HOLLY

Luckily both chronos survived Grandad on Sunday mainly because he didn't have his rifle....:rolleyes:

Spending a lot of time monitoring the chrono with Ozzie  and Stan in the morning two things become apparent.

Firstly that most people were quite low, i.e. 760's with no one going over, certainly in the morning and secondly it was surprising just how close the two chronos were. I saw quite a few with exactly the same readings, most were within 2 -5fps of each other with the BFTA chrono usually reading slightly lower than the LAbRadar.

Everyone who hadn't seen the LabRadar before were impressed by both it and the fact of just how close the BFTA chrono is, so from that point of view it does give people confidence that it is reading reasonably accurately, so hopefully that will give chrono marshals an easier time in the future.

Whowerrrr , has Jon Read This Col ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Whowerrrr , has Jon Read This Col ??? HOLLY

Probably not but I'm afraid there is no disputing cold hard facts.

Bottom line is that the LabRadar is accurate and as the BFTA chrono, or certainly the one there Sunday was almost as accurate then that is good enough.

What did amaze me was the amount of people coming through at 750fps. Lowest was 703 which was Neil Dibben with his heavies, highest I saw was 791 first shot with a second shot at 786.

I had two shots through the chrono only because I was interested in what the Labradar said but it was not switched on when I got there. Went through at 772fps 1st time and 768fps second. With the second the Labradar gave me a reading of 774fps.

Took a picture and recalculated the bc for my rifle which came to 0.0181.

So are our chronos reading fast . or is the BFTA chrono reading Slow ??? HOLLY

8 hours ago, AndyIoW said:

I had two shots through the chrono only because I was interested in what the Labradar said but it was not switched on when I got there. Went through at 772fps 1st time and 768fps second. With the second the Labradar gave me a reading of 774fps.

Took a picture and recalculated the bc for my rifle which came to 0.0181.

And it was 0.0210, i.e. the ChairGun standard GA profile before?

What sort of difference did that give you at 55yards out of interest?

Have you also precisely measured your scope height at the objective to barrel position?

Load of piffel . just put some pellets down range and find out what is doing . not what it should be doing ??? HOLLY

7 hours ago, holly said:

Load of piffel . just put some pellets down range and find out what is doing . not what it should be doing ??? HOLLY

You Sir are a Luddite of the first order. 

Instead of fumbling around in the dark, hoping that it’s right, these programs need careful input otherwise it’s junk in, junk out, sound familiar? 🤔

Do you think that they worked out artillery tables by ‘chucking a few shells’ down-range and trying to work it out from there?

Nay, heathsayer it was all carefully worked out in theory first and then applied to the guns.

Piffel and smoker and mirrors . robin hood never had a -covered in gore- computer . he practiced shooting not typing . get too it my man ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Piffel and smoker and mirrors . robin hood never had a -covered in gore- computer . he practiced shooting not typing . get too it my man ??? HOLLY

Robin Hood was a B Grade Bandit, fact.

13 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

And it was 0.0210, i.e. the ChairGun standard GA profile before?

What sort of difference did that give you at 55yards out of interest?

Have you also precisely measured your scope height at the objective to barrel position?

Not yet a job for one evening maybe or a weekend one.

10 minutes ago, AndyIoW said:

Not yet a job for one evening maybe or a weekend one.

Ok Andy but you need that precise figure to make it accurate. If you have calipers it's a 2 minute job, measure o/d of barrel & scope objective housing to find a centre, measure gap between objective housing and barrel, put the kettle on with a round of toast, then add radius of scope/barrel to gap and you have your true scope height. PSsst! you do realise that under no circumstances should this information ever find it's way to a certain Rock chimp as he has offended Ballistic programs on a Worldwide basis. 

Posted (edited)

I find the programs very accurate,as colin says,you’ve got to be precise with what you put in. I found the most important was the scope height. I measure it from the middle of the mounts to the centre of the barrel and it works for me. I have played around with BC’s in the past and to be honest at airgun ranges it didn’t seem that much of a difference to make any difference,the wind would probably affect it more. I put in velocity,BC,scope height and how many clicks the turret does in one full rotation,write it down and then mark up the turret at home. Then when down the club I zero for 35 yards then reposition the turret and all the ranges a spot on. This is the one I use. http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php

its not as detailed as chairgin quite basic really but it does what I want.  

Edited by springboy

6 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

PSsst! you do realise that under no circumstances should this information ever find it's way to a certain Rock chimp as he has offended Ballistic programs on a Worldwide basis. 

It takes just the mention of cake an he forgets everything.

Besides ballistic technology stuff is more confusing to him than how to take a rifle apart or which barrel goes furthest.

Waiting to hear what today's episode of his club visit will be.

Hahahaa Andy you know him too well.

Doubtless it will involve many cups of tea to ruminate over which bit went wrong when...:rofl2:

Piffle and Balderdash ??? HOLLY

13 hours ago, holly said:

13 hours ago, holly said:

Talking of Grandad it was good to see him looking so well and talking about getting behind a rifle again and maybe even doing a few Winter Leagues. Not bad as he must be at least 85 now...😉

81 i think ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

81 i think ??? HOLLY

Strange as I'm sure when I shot with Peter Junior he said he was doing well for 83...:)

Maybe he doesn't want his true age out there in case someone calls his number?

I’d like to be shooting at his age. He was laying down today with his HFT rig. Very impressive 

14 hours ago, springboy said:

I’d like to be shooting at his age. He was laying down today with his HFT rig. Very impressive 

Agreed, now that they've sorted a new pace-maker he was looking very well at the GP, I bet he wished he'd brought his rifle but I think in the end Graham was probably relieved he didn't...😀

I didn’t think he was as old as that though.