Sign in to follow this  
holly

Target Colours

Myself i think it is time to go back to painting the targets Black again ., with a white or yellow kill . i cannot see the point in painting em yellow . finding  , range finding and hitting the target is part of the skill . yellow targets dumb the sport down ??? HOLLY

Always liked black and easier to paint.
Next best white with black kills but hardest to paint and use more of it.

Not keen on yellow plates, tend to camo in sun light and greenery and be as bad as painting green.

59 minutes ago, holly said:

Myself i think it is time to go back to painting the targets Black again ., with a white or yellow kill . i cannot see the point in painting em yellow . finding  , range finding and hitting the target is part of the skill . yellow targets dumb the sport down ??? HOLLY

Still can just most choose not to

Blame etl lol, everyone else in the region was black with white or yellow kills the etl found a big tin of yellow pint and a brush. The rest is history unfortunately

1 hour ago, dc1 said:

Still can just most choose not to

Blame etl lol, everyone else in the region was black with white or yellow kills the etl found a big tin of yellow pint and a brush. The rest is history unfortunately

I rather like yellow with black kills, stands out nicely and stops the old school confusion about where the hell the targets are....:D

When Carisbrooke do the Winter League we use alternate yellow and white faceplates on lanes or lane 1 both are yellow lane 2 both white etc. Yes it is more work but being able to set things during the year help.

The lighter faceplate help target location especially for those new to sport. To many times I have been timed out because a black faceplate in shadow just dissappeared.

We still use black targets with white kills.  

Totally the opposite Col with yellow its cammo in sun light undergrowth and foliage might as well paint green.

Should be pulling the string to see where they are and follow it in. Hence why some people are beyond slow just standing there like lemmons.

Finding the targets is part of the skill . adds to the pressure . at this rate lazer range finders will be allowed  ??? HOLLY 

35 minutes ago, holly said:

Finding the targets is part of the skill . adds to the pressure . at this rate lazer range finders will be allowed  ??? HOLLY 

You mean you didn’t vote for them?

Black Is Back Col ??? HOLLY

Doesn't really matter to me, a target is there to be hit - so long as its location can be spotted or deduced (by pulling the strings) I don't care what colour the faceplate is, just so long as the paddle is of a contrasting colour so that it can be picked out and shot at, wouldn't bother me if the faceplates were camo'd and the paddle florescent pink (or the other way round) 

The only thing with different colours is that it does make a difference to ranging.

stick up two targets one with yellow facing, the other black at the same range and you will make them different ranges parallaxing, which is why I tend to also bracket the long ones if I have enough time.

That's why ranging on the faceplate is the last resort.

1 hour ago, robF said:

Yep, just trying to give our Rock Chimp some FT insight before his great come-back at Bisley.

It counts as care in the Community....:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, robF said:

Not if it is black ??? HOLLY

Face plates are harder to resolve detail on because they are lower contrast that other items. Contrast is what the brain uses to determine focus. Just like a digital camera the eye struggles and can misfocus in low light or low contrast conditions. There is usually a better subject to focus on than the faceplate.

now summer is probably here do you reset up your scope for the brighter light conditions?

Yes with a lupe . no with a march . just use a higher mag on the march for range finding ??? HOLLY

10 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

The only thing with different colours is that it does make a difference to ranging.

stick up two targets one with yellow facing, the other black at the same range and you will make them different ranges parallaxing, which is why I tend to also bracket the long ones if I have enough time.

No Colin, I don't range on the faceplate, never have done as I've never been able to find something on it 'sharp' enough to focus on. 

44 minutes ago, holly said:

Yes with a lupe . no with a march . just use a higher mag on the march for range finding ??? HOLLY

I just got a march and its perfect up to 50 yds hits its marks everytime. 50- 55 though im having a problem. but i was using yellow and white faceplates in bright sunlight. So I will find something different to focus on. Any recomendations?

I have a 80x March but range on 40x . Don’t range on face plates it’s far to good for that use the strings! At 40 mag you can make out the twines in the string so use that. You have to find the detail and more than 40 yds the face plate is twonk 

With the march . i do use face plates sometimes . maybe not at GPs , cos they tend to scrape all the old paint off . which removes the ripples in it . rust is good . bolt threads if you can see em . bark . string ends . target edges . target stands . at our club we have bike chains on each target as re-setters  . they are excellent .  go with the flow , think on your feet ( bum ) > ??? HOLLY :)

2 hours ago, Darron said:

I have a 80x March but range on 40x . Don’t range on face plates it’s far to good for that use the strings! At 40 mag you can make out the twines in the string so use that. You have to find the detail and more than 40 yds the face plate is twonk 

Even at 32x the strings are clear (even on my old scope) best is when the twines have separated out at the knot so that you have the individual threads to focus on

On 5/22/2018 at 1:13 PM, holly said:

Toataly agree with that and also use paint that stops range finders being used.

I don't think there is such a thing Kev ??? HOLLY 

Remember the spray that was supposed to stop your number plate being flashed ?

Always remember shooting some competitions back in t'day where someone had painted all the targets in their natural colours so rabbits were realistically painted. They looked fantastic to start with though a bit battered after a while. Even the kills were blended in so you had to try and gauge where the kill was which with 4x power scopes made things interesting to say the least.

I did a version of this at ETL but with realistically coloured targets, i.e. brown for a rabbit, grey for a pigeon etc. and hid them along a stretch of course. The reset cord was fishing line so you couldn't pull to see where the target was. Basically you were RO'd in the stretch of course and had three minutes to find and shoot as many targets as possible of which there were twelve total.

The only shooter to see and shoot all twelve was Matt Knock and that with my .22 Sirocco that he'd never shot before, goes to show the boy had talent.   

4 hours ago, holly said:

I don't think there is such a thing Kev ??? HOLLY 

Remember the spray that was supposed to stop your number plate being flashed ?

Did have the ex mod vehicle paint (black and green) worked a treat ans still does on some targets.

Another one was a body kill zone but all painted the same coloue except for a yellow circle on the head. I got a few new names that day.

I surprised a few names never got you after that one Kev ??? HOLLY

Done that a few times Kev.

Cant get away with it now with all the rule abiders and SS.

Always gone off the face plates works every time, theres always some over spray or something that pops out guarantee within a yard all year round. Do prefer the G clamp acme thread 1st choice.

If it’s on a tree I use bark. If it’s on a post I use the post,I find my eyes can focus better on those surfaces. As for colour. I’d like to see blue with yellow kill.