Sign in to follow this  
holly

Air Chrony

Got myself a Air Chrony to replace the one grandad shot . needless to say he won't get a look at this one ??? HOLLY

Mug

Now now Jon, don’t burst his perfectly formed bubble. I was genuinely surprised just how close the BFTA Air Chrony was to the LabRadar at GP2.

Of course this one does have a dodgy pilot, but you never know if he sites it properly before he shoots it he might be ok...I still give it a week before he shoots out the front.

Posted (edited)

I have never put a chrony out of commish . close but they all worked  afterwards . this one was a good price and i have to have a chrono  of some sort . ??? HOLLY

Edited by holly

The BFTA don't use an Air Chony.

The Air Chrony is Czech.

The LMBR R2 the BFTA use is Polish.

They are not the same thing.

1 hour ago, robF said:

The Air Chrony is Czech.

Isn't one a copy of the other?

That is what i thought ??? HOLLY

19 hours ago, robF said:

The Air Chrony is Czech.

Funny I'm sure the GP2 chrono had 'Air Chrony' on the front in white lettering? 

14 minutes ago, Eaton Rifles said:

No it didn't :)

How it was explained to me was that the people who make Air Chrony used to sell the LMBR chronos. They then saw what was in them and decided to make another version for themselves to sell. At one point in the past they were all available from Air Chrony and now they're not. Read into that what you will.

There has been a little made of the sample and clock speeds of the differing units but when you get into the detail you'll see that can be a bit of smoke an mirrors.

I've been using LMBR for years and I've got a couple of units. We did have one that was 5-10 out but then so is one of our CED M2 IR's so when is a chrono right?

For me the LMBR has worked pretty well. It does need good alignment to not be fooled, but when I chrono I use a jig for the gun anyway if I'm getting really serious. I also tend to use more than one. And I've found it can be upset by vapour blast (as can any optical chrono) so I usually don't opt to stick the muzzle right in the thing if i can help it.

I was hoping for some good weather this weekend because Graham has lent me his Lab Radar and I want to see how it compares to all the other chronos we have... which may steer us as to what we want to use for the worlds.

Good weather hopefully Sunday/Monday Rob so you'll be able to do some tests.

I shall check my two against each other to see how they go ??? HOLLY

Have an LMBR R2A as well but certainly dont trust it, in fact i trust it more than an Air Chrony R3 i have never ever in 2years had a correct reading any where.

Sunday i was geared up for it chrono at a bonide RFD 8.45am said 780-782. Did say to partners whats the chances this thing will give me 758 or 762, i was right 757.8. Point being because BFTA in denial a shooter thinks rifles down on power, it aint its the friggin chrono used in uncontrolled conditions. So and have seen this done dozens of times a shooter chronos at a shoot the course chrono and sees a 'reported' power drop then ups the power. Take above actual 782 and see it register 24 ft/sec slower up power if can to a reported 782 which in reality is an actual 806.

First time ive seen this on a chrono start a newer Skan up and it tells you to fire from at least 10" back but told closer and closer muzzle up to chrono - idiots.

9 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

Yes and the Anschutz barrel mounted chrono  has combro in it. 

So what's the difference ? looks like a copy to me ??? HOLLY

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Have an LMBR R2A as well but certainly dont trust it, in fact i trust it more than an Air Chrony R3 i have never ever in 2years had a correct reading any where.

Sunday i was geared up for it chrono at a bonide RFD 8.45am said 780-782. Did say to partners whats the chances this thing will give me 758 or 762, i was right 757.8. Point being because BFTA in denial a shooter thinks rifles down on power, it aint its the friggin chrono used in uncontrolled conditions. So and have seen this done dozens of times a shooter chronos at a shoot the course chrono and sees a 'reported' power drop then ups the power. Take above actual 782 and see it register 24 ft/sec slower up power if can to a reported 782 which in reality is an actual 806.

First time ive seen this on a chrono start a newer Skan up and it tells you to fire from at least 10" back but told closer and closer muzzle up to chrono - idiots.

Ced says that in the manual. 

We were chronoing 38 and 44. Has to be about 6 foot back ;)

Well picked up chrony today , will see how it goes sunday and compare with any others down the club . needless to say . grandad does not get anywhere near it ??? HOLLY

2 hours ago, holly said:

Well picked up chrony today , will see how it goes sunday and compare with any others down the club . needless to say . grandad does not get anywhere near it ??? HOLLY

Does it work with launched barrels as well?   :rofl2:

CED manual is for centrefire.

7" is the absolute minimum to eradicate the errors in general, though dependant on external light entering indoors will affect the out come IR. If in doubt i wait till its pitch black and try then with no lights, if gives same readings its correct.

R2A i have to switch an extra set of lights on to bring it up 20ft/sec to match the CED M2 IR.

Caldwell and Skans just wouldnt register at any cost unless 3 feet back.

Best of the lot them Combros fire at one angle and see a correct ish 780ft/sec, change angle literally 10 degrees and see as much as 130 ft/sec read low but common to see 70 ft/sec low when rifles not.

AirChrony thats the ones that ripped off LMBR, the ones they sold they offer no support or guarantee, yet BFTA support them.

It worked where ever i put it . reading seemed the same ( 780 ish ) always gave a reading . clear , easy to use  , light . goes in my gun bag . so far , so good ??? HOLLY

17 minutes ago, holly said:

It worked where ever i put it . reading seemed the same ( 780 ish ) always gave a reading . clear , easy to use  , light . goes in my gun bag . so far , so good ??? HOLLY

Just try not to shoot it...👍

Believe me i was a bit nervous about it to start with ??? HOLLY

Just one session, one rifle and same light means nothing.

R3 proven to be incorrect by many used out doors.

True Jon . but it is what i can afford and i have to have something . you have to make the effort ??? HOLLY

On 5/27/2018 at 7:22 PM, Jon said:

AirChrony thats the ones that ripped off LMBR, the ones they sold they offer no support or guarantee, yet BFTA support them. 

They don't Jon. BFTA never used Air Chrony. They used the white things before the R2

Only time I've seen one at a BFTA shoot was a WAFTA shoot and that gave me a four figure speed before promptly dying.

I'm guessing the problems you see with the R2A are the wider gates.

Only time I've seen one at a BFTA shoot was a WAFTA shoot and that gave me a four figure speed before promptly dying.

Quarry, when it was a bit breezy

That’s the one Dave. 

Ive been dq’d twice for goIng over. Wales was one and Far Coley another. One pcp one spring. Both about 1/2- 2/3 around a course and one was a saviour for a bad score and another I was one down. 

Despite all all their faults I kind of think that if I fail a chrono I kind of did something in some way for it to happen. 

Well mine repeated the FPS from sunday today in the Mist . so far so good ??? HOLLY

even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day...