Sign in to follow this  
Eaton Rifles

Pellet weight and the black arts...

Yes, that biggest can of worms after barrels and velocity...:rolleyes:

Old school used to be Bisley mags and Barracucudadas, usually around 10.5g in weight and we used these in the 80's and 90's basically because there wasn't a lot of choice like we have now.

I mention this as there seems to be three distinct shooters, those that use heavies and get the scores, those that use lightweights and get the scores and those that use mediums i.e. 8.4's who always seem to occupy the mid-ground on scoring (unless your name is Steve and you like Daystates). 

Now the thing to really do your noodle is are the high scorers either end of the pellet spectrum able to get the same performance with any weight of pellet or is their preferred pellet weight a distinct advantage to them?

Obviously wind is a large factor in our sport so maybe this goes some way to explaining the split but bear in mind that while heavies 'may' not be affected as badly by the wind as lightweights there will always be some deflection. 

Of course the other side of the coin for heavies vs lightweights is that your range estimation haas to be perfect as the pellet trajectory of a heavy at 55 is akin to a lobbed mortar round.

The other factor is pellet form i.e. size and time so one benefit of the lights is a smaller cross section against the wind and less time in the air being affected by wind.

All interesting stuff wouldn't you agree....:thumb: 

Pick the pellet that groups best. Only if you have a choice then do you start deliberating the finer points.

And when I mean grouping I mean putting them through target paper at 55yds and seeing which groups best. If you find that difficult ask yourself why, and 10mm splats on plate is not the answer.

7 hours ago, robF said:

Pick the pellet that groups best. Only if you have a choice then do you start deliberating the finer points.

And when I mean grouping I mean putting them through target paper at 55yds and seeing which groups best. If you find that difficult ask yourself why, and 10mm splats on plate is not the answer.

...Holly loves his metal splats though, joins them up and calls it pellet on pellet.

Up until recently I had AA Fields that grouped spectacularly at 55yds but only in still conditions. Snipers at the same range were double the groups but took more predictable wind, would you still stay with the Fields Rob?  👍

Exactly what i told you a year ago colin . remember groups are great BUT wind wins . ??? HOLLY

I’ve pretty much tried them all but always come back to JSB 8.4 . From the testing I’ve done I think the 7.9s are definitely more affected by the wind past 45 yds. I found at 55yds if I gave 20mm with 8.4 I had to give double that with 7.9. I couldn’t live with the trajectory of the heavies but felt that they took 25% less wind at 55 yards than my 8.4 and 60% less wind than the 7.9s. It wasn’t scientific but that’s what I found.

My LW match barrel like both JSBs and AAs , both in 8.4 . it is the only barrel i have that does . all the rest prefer AAs . ??? HOLLY

4 hours ago, holly said:

Exactly what i told you a year ago colin . remember groups are great BUT wind wins . ??? HOLLY

Have to reluctantly agree with you, though I has a cunning plan....:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Darron said:

I’ve pretty much tried them all but always come back to JSB 8.4 . From the testing I’ve done I think the 7.9s are definitely more affected by the wind past 45 yds. I found at 55yds if I gave 20mm with 8.4 I had to give double that with 7.9. I couldn’t live with the trajectory of the heavies but felt that they took 25% less wind at 55 yards than my 8.4 and 60% less wind than the 7.9s. It wasn’t scientific but that’s what I found.

Interesting Daz as I've always found the same with 7.9's promising much out to 45yds but then ultimately failing to deliver when the wind gets up, but that was with the FTP. Because of my experiences with 7.9's with that rifle I never bothered trying in the Anschutz and went 8.4's all the way.

However, at GP2 I was shooting what I thought was Exacts 8.4's as I'd tried the previous week and found them very promising. So I shoot the GP and apart from doing the usual with wind did ok for me. Afterwards I tried to find these 'short' exacts from the 2014 tin and drew a complete blank until I decided to weigh them and found out they were actually 7.9's....:rofl2:

Surprising isn't it how you get so set that even when the obvious is staring at you in the face you still blindly keep with your original assumption.

So now I'm completely flummoxed as I have 7.9's that are extremely accurate right out to 55 and yet don't seem to suffer like the AA Expresses of old. So apart from a bit more testing hopefully in a bit more windy conditions than GP2 I just need to get hold of these damn pellets....:rolleyes:

They have not done my Mate Neil any harm Colin ??? HOLLY

On 5/24/2018 at 10:23 PM, Eaton Rifles said:

...Holly loves his metal splats though, joins them up and calls it pellet on pellet.

Up until recently I had AA Fields that grouped spectacularly at 55yds but only in still conditions. Snipers at the same range were double the groups but took more predictable wind, would you still stay with the Fields Rob?  👍

i'd definitely stay with the fields. Because why would accept something with twice as much error as a baseline?

I would agree with you my experiences with the Fields is that they tend to wander past 45 in my barrel whereas the snipers tend not to.

Both though were outclassed by the JSB Expresses which due to their shorter length seem to like my barrel.

Probably batch. Seeing a lot of variation these days. If you're happy with your batch buy as much as you can. 

I've got batches which shoot well for 95% but will drop you out of the kill for 5% at 55yds. At the nefta it had me querying my rangefinding, then assuming the gun was on the fritz, leading to a whole afternoon of some severe fault finding only to find that the batch wasn't as good as I'd thought over big groups. 

I've got 10-20 tins of this other batch.

Seen same on other guns... 

To get the good gear you have to do the work these days.

In any day Rob . if you want the best . you have to work for it . you cannot buy good scores ??? HOLLY

I must admit that since I’ve been properly sizing all my competition pellets I haven’t seen the random hits high or low that I used to get. Most of my misses are usually for giving too much wind these days; I really must go with my gut instinct a bit more and not my stupid brain...😉

Its down to the batch nothing more.

Call em what you like AA, JSB, Cometa and so on theyre all the same just the die is different.

Imported 2 batches of Express in 2009  luckilly a relatively windy day.

One batch grouped tremendous but anything above a breeze (wind to you lot) became unpredictable. At 55 yards drift was 4 to 5" + height diference = 2" groups.

Other batch didnt group well (flat in the skirts Rob) about 1/2" at only 30 yards but were very very predictable and took way less wind drift at 55 yards like 3/4" movement grouped within 1/2".

Much the same with Exact and testing that Labrador last year pre Worlds the BC of JSB made Exacts/AA etc was vast. Good BC pellet at 30 yards drops 30-50 ft/sec yet world shooters were using some that dropped as much as 160 ft/sec at only 30 yards.

A good slug you wont need to size or weigh, just use straight from tin.

Problem is getting that good slug...👍

I just shoot my AAs straight from the tin and win ( well maybe ) ??? HOLLY

12 hours ago, holly said:

I just shoot my AAs straight from the tin and win ( well maybe ) ??? HOLLY

Explains a lot but hey ho whatever works got you.

It certainly works for me, especially at Bisley...👍

A Optimist you always were Col ??? HOLLY

20 hours ago, holly said:

A Optimist you always were Col ??? HOLLY

My middle moniker, ‘optimist’ Eaton, has to be with this silly game...🤣