Sign in to follow this  
Barry

JSB ‘Heavies’

Had a day to play around with the cricket again today. I started using JSB 10.3 heavies as soon as I bought the gun. I was given 5 tins of different pellets to try and the heavies grouped the best out of all of them.

Then I got persuaded that good old 4.53 8.44s was the way to go at the club.

So, I experimented today. There was a steady and gentle breeze which felt fairly consistent. The shots alternated between heavies and 8.44s, in today’s wind, the heavies were taking an inch less wind at 55 yards.

I set about setting the gun/scope up for the heavies again on the strength of that. I shot from 10 to 55 yards in 5 yard increments.  The old zero with 8.44s was 40 yards far and 15 yards close. It took 7 clicks (milrad scope) to zero the heavies to 40 yards far, the near zero changed to 10 yards. There were anomalies mid range with the pellet reaching TOT at 20 yards and a most other aim points changed to correspond with what I was expecting.

Now for the surprise! There was no change at all at 55 yards, none. 8.44s require 1.5 Mil hash holdover, and so do 10.3s! The BC of the heavies has been found to be .032. They certainly fly very nicely and group as good as the lighter pellets at 55 yards. The entire range from 10 to 55 yards is covered within 3 mil hash. 1.5 up for 20 yards and 1.5 down for 55 yards. The rifle chronos at 11.7 ftlbs. I know insufficient about ballistics to offer anything further than this, the evidence of my own eyes. The rifle was rested throughout. I’m using the heavies from now on in the Cricket.

Then I spent the rest of the day tracking a -covered in gore- Harris Hawk that had taken a crow and wouldn’t -covered in gore- come back to daddy. 3 hours, 25 degrees, filthy stinking landfill, errant bird. Not amused. She ate the whole crow and has a crop the size of my fist!

All in all, a good day all round.

Posted (edited)

So did you turn the power down on the heavies to 718 FPS .  ??? HOLLY

Edited by holly

They are a very well made and efficient pellet. I tried them in my Pro Target and was impressed with the groups I was getting and only 4 clicks difference compared to the 8.44’s. I didn’t gain anything wind wise which was my goal,so I stayed on 8.44’s. 

Yeah stan but did you turn the rifle down ? windage was the reason they died out ??? HOLLY

I’ll have to retract some of the above. My near zero is actually 14 yards!!

Damn my eyes!

Having said that, my 8.44 near zero was 15 yards, so the heavies have a very similar trajectory.

Yes holly, the rifle is legal and sub 12ftlbs. In fact, my first post gives the chrono reading.........🙄

11 hours ago, Barry said:

I’ll have to retract some of the above. My near zero is actually 14 yards!!

Damn my eyes!

Having said that, my 8.44 near zero was 15 yards, so the heavies have a very similar trajectory.

Yes holly, the rifle is legal and sub 12ftlbs. In fact, my first post gives the chrono reading.........🙄

Hols doesn’t worry about mere facts Barry...👍

so what speed are you running the 8.4s at ??? HOLLY

PS if you are running the 8.4s at 780 FPS , then i would have thought 10.03s would be running hot 

On 5/31/2018 at 11:49 PM, holly said:

Yeah stan but did you turn the rifle down ? windage was the reason they died out ??? HOLLY

I didn’t need to. Put it over chrono and it was 712 which what was told is where it needs to be. 

It is a fad but good luck if you think it will be good for you . go for it ??? HOLLY

For the purposes of testing I tried some JSB heavies on Sunday out of the Anschutz.

No idea of the velocity as I didn't change anything but my barrel definitely didn't like them certainly at the speed I tried them at.

May well be that with a tweak of the barrel tuner they might be persuaded to group but I'm not about to go there.

Hit point at 55yds was a good 75mm lower than with 8.4's or 7.9's, so it's safe to say that I'll stick with the mid to light pellets.

7 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

For the purposes of testing I tried some JSB heavies on Sunday out of the Anschutz.

No idea of the velocity as I didn't change anything but my barrel definitely didn't like them certainly at the speed I tried them at.

May well be that with a tweak of the barrel tuner they might be persuaded to group but I'm not about to go there.

Hit point at 55yds was a good 75mm lower than with 8.4's or 7.9's, so it's safe to say that I'll stick with the mid to light pellets.

The barrel in the Cricket seems to suit them Colin. Every owner I know of (through social media owners groups) favours the heavies in this rifle.

You’re right though, Simon High tried some of mine through his new barrel and they were hopeless.

Nice to have the option to use the lighter pellet if I ever feel the need, but I’ll stick with the heavies, they group as well, fly a very similar trajectory out of my barrel and at my guns power setting, and I believe, certainly the other day at least, they take a little less wind. For my purposes, just the job 😉

I have quite a tight twist in my barrel which favours mid to light pellets, you’ll probably find the heavies like a slower twist. I bet your cricket barrel is something like 1:19, either way if they work then happy days as the heavies are certainly better for what you want at range...👍

The cricket barrel is said to be a CZ . mine and now bazzas cricket was and is very accurate . he uses it for HFT ??? HOLLY

PS does it kneeling . got a 44 last time out .

3 hours ago, holly said:

The cricket barrel is said to be a CZ . mine and now bazzas cricket was and is very accurate . he uses it for HFT ??? HOLLY

PS does it kneeling . got a 44 last time out .

Strange how the shape of the heavies are like the Snipers, though I wouldn't say they were particularly wind-beating from my limited experience.

Looking at the spread-sheet for GP2 the only people using heavies are the Kent Hill Mob and Andras. The majority were on 8.4's which surprised me to be honest. 

Dan has found a pellet to suit his rifle and style of shooting . good luck . needless to say he will be grist to my mill at Bisley . ( err allegedly ) ??? HOLLY

Not sure what the twist rate is Colin (they are CZ barrels). I do know there’s barely any choke in them. I don’t know if that has a bearing or not.

12 hours ago, Barry said:

Not sure what the twist rate is Colin (they are CZ barrels). I do know there’s barely any choke in them. I don’t know if that has a bearing or not.

I think that if your impact point didn’t change between mediums and heavies then there probably isn’t any choke at all. 

I was surprised at the 75mm drop at 55yds I must admit as I can swap between lights and mediums and the impact point is identical at range.

Main thing for you is that they’re accurate and hit like a train at max. Range...👍

On 6/5/2018 at 6:57 PM, Barry said:

Which CZ? CZ is a collective of companies. We found differences between the 16 & 15mm, one of which had a choke so tight you could not rod a pellet though without using a metal rod and small hammer. And that isn’t an exaggeration. 

55 minutes ago, robF said:

Which CZ? CZ is a collective of companies. We found differences between the 16 & 15mm, one of which had a choke so tight you could not rod a pellet though without using a metal rod and small hammer. And that isn’t an exaggeration. 

Sounds like the old manufacturer of the Jerry 'Squeeze gun'; fires a projectile that is way too big for the bore so consequently gets a higher velocity when it bogs down at the muzzle. I reckon those old soldiers must have wondered when the barrel was going to let go, not if...😁

The barrel in the cricket i had was very good indeed and bazza who bought it off me continues to do well with it . i am still waiting to find out what match barrel means in terms of the description . how do you define one ??? HOLLY

On 6/5/2018 at 2:31 PM, Eaton Rifles said:

Strange how the shape of the heavies are like the Snipers, though I wouldn't say they were particularly wind-beating from my limited experience.

Looking at the spread-sheet for GP2 the only people using heavies are the Kent Hill Mob and Andras. The majority were on 8.4's which surprised me to be honest. 

Andras has been using them for years. I shot round with him at a GP and he got about 3-4 splits and they all went down,pretty rare occurrence with 8.4’s. I remember with the Bisley Mags the splits would result in a kill more often than not 

11 hours ago, springboy said:

Andras has been using them for years. I shot round with him at a GP and he got about 3-4 splits and they all went down,pretty rare occurrence with 8.4’s. I remember with the Bisley Mags the splits would result in a kill more often than not 

Swing and roundabouts though as I'd say that the splits were more likely due to the more curved trajectory of the heavies anyways.

Could be. I always had it down to the fact that even when split there’s still more weight behind it than an 8.4

Nasty things , urgggh ??? HOLLY

Had a go with Barry's Cricket today. Sporting a lovely Stryker scope and synthetic scope, quite possibly the best Bull-pup I have shot, even managed to hit the 55yd spinner standing...:thumb:

They are surprisingly good . but the trigger and the mag put me off ??? HOLLY

10 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

Had a go with Barry's Cricket today. Sporting a lovely Stryker scope and synthetic scope, quite possibly the best Bull-pup I have shot, even managed to hit the 55yd spinner standing...:thumb:

You should have come to Wales, the standers were no where near as long as that and I managed to miss 4 of them...

Oh the shame Rob . i have not missed a stander in weeks ? mind you that could be cos i have not done any ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, robF said:

You should have come to Wales, the standers were no where near as long as that and I managed to miss 4 of them...

That's my usual trick, have I been giving you tips?  :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

I wish the scope was the 'Stryker' Colin.

Mine's the 4.5-14 'Titanium'. 🙂

I know what you mean about the mag system Holly. I had the side plate altered on mine to hold the central pin back whilst changing mags. But for use at the club, I sourced a single shot loader. Bazza got one too. Pretty unrefined but they work very well.

I don’t have an issue with the trigger, but then I’m not shooting competitions. I’ve certainly shot full size rifles with worse triggers.

Edited by Barry