Sign in to follow this  
Eaton Rifles

Ron Crawford Memorial Shoot...

This Sunday is Ron’s memorial shoot at Iceni and finally I’m managing to attend. Interesting format as you shoot the majority of the course with your normal FT rig. The twist is that for certain lanes a ‘classic’ rifle is provided to be used.

Should be fun as I’ve renovated my original SIrocco FT rifle from 1984 this week. Because it is a very early Theoben I couldn’t find any stripping guide so had to wing it getting apart. The only real problem was that the original engine oil that keeps the air ram sealed had solidified after 35 years, so out with the gunk and in with some Mobil 1 Power. I also took off the acres of gunk on the piston and replaced with graphite as a test. 

So the old girl is back spitting out .22 hobby’s at an astonishing 2fps variation.Complete with the original 4x40 I used back then it will be interesting to see what people think of shooting an original FT classic...👍

Posted (edited)

Not too sure what the committee has planned for this years - know that there is planned a rack of sillies to be shot with a weird and wonderful 'thing' (blame SC for that one:awink:)

Know that year before last, the Haenal .22 (5.56 mm) with a 3-7x20 didn't hit much:abiggrin:

Edited by SuffolkRifle

Of course back in t'day the long targets were no more than 35yds with the majority being around 25-30yds as most people used .22, so assuming that Steve bears this in mind anything is possible.

No telling what the course setters will have in mind - would suggest an open sight lane, but it seems that very few people can use that sort of sighting system now:awink: (hasn't got a cross in the middle)

56 minutes ago, SuffolkRifle said:

No telling what the course setters will have in mind - would suggest an open sight lane, but it seems that very few people can use that sort of sighting system now:awink: (hasn't got a cross in the middle)

Bring one of your rifles along and we'll have an open sight lane. :)

1 hour ago, SteveC200 said:

Bring one of your rifles along and we'll have an open sight lane. 😀

Call it the 'Moy' Lane...😀

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SteveC200 said:

Bring one of your rifles along and we'll have an open sight lane. :)

OK sounds good, but I've only 1x.177, (plenty of .22s) with 'proper' opens (all springers :awink:) - all got -covered in gore- horrible triggers :abiggrin:

Better bring some ammo for it as well, thinking about it - I'll dig one out

Edit You want me to drop John & Chris a pm about it, or do we just pick a lane after they've set it out?

Edited by SuffolkRifle

We’re also using my Sirocco so might be worth mentioning to them that we’ll need a lane with targets no more than 30-35yds as even with a 4x scope the kill looks tiny.

Open sights will have to be about 20yds lol....🤣

36 minutes ago, Eaton Rifles said:

We’re also using my Sirocco so might be worth mentioning to them that we’ll need a lane with targets no more than 30-35yds as even with a 4x scope the kill looks tiny.

Open sights will have to be about 20yds lol....🤣

They're all zeroed at over 20 yards (some at 25, others up to 35)! If you've a scope fitted, then out to about 40 will be good! :laugh:

Looking through the heap, picked out one that will do, fairly sure that I've some pellets for it (runs well with AA Fields 5.51) not overly powerful (will stick a string over the chrony today to make sure it's not dieseling), might be a bit 'loopy' for long shots though. 

That Sirocco of yours is nice, shoots well (managed to clear that lane 😁)

5 hours ago, SuffolkRifle said:

That Sirocco of yours is nice, shoots well (managed to clear that lane 😁)

Better than me, missed them both lol, though I did manage to get the long one on your lane with that open sighted springer.

I still think that the gas-ram system is superb as you have one moving part so simplicity at it's best. I think that gas-rams got a bad rep. because of losing air but as Ben Taylor told me when I picked it up in '83, just fire two shots through it every couple of weeks and it will be good as gold which it was right up until just a few years ago when it finally lost pressure.

When I stripped it, that was purely down to the engine oil in the spring finally solidifying after thirty years allowing air to get past the o ring.

Mobil 1 in the compression chamber, graphite lubing the piston and it's back better than new, 635/637fps over the chrono with 11.8gr Hobbys and there's not many spring guns as consistent as that.

29 minutes ago, Eaton Rifles said:

Better than me, missed them both lol, though I did manage to get the long one on your lane with that open sighted springer.

I still think that the gas-ram system is superb as you have one moving part so simplicity at it's best. I think that gas-rams got a bad rep. because of losing air but as Ben Taylor told me when I picked it up in '83, just fire two shots through it every couple of weeks and it will be good as gold which it was right up until just a few years ago when it finally lost pressure.

When I stripped it, that was purely down to the engine oil in the spring finally solidifying after thirty years allowing air to get past the o ring.

Mobil 1 in the compression chamber, graphite lubing the piston and it's back better than new, 635/637fps over the chrono with 11.8gr Hobbys and there's not many spring guns as consistent as that.

Better than me on the open sights, missed both, always the same - if I loan a gun out & whoever borrows it does better than I do! 

Hitting the long one with open sights was a pure fluke as the foresight was as wide as the whole plate, still a hit is a hit. I was disappointed to miss both with the Sirocco though but I guess it’s a case of trying too hard which doesn’t work with springers.

It was nice to see all the Crawford’s and I would say that young Jake has got the bug considering how he was badgering Helen to come back down for a shoot next week...👍

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Eaton Rifles said:

Hitting the long one with open sights was a pure fluke as the foresight was as wide as the whole plate, still a hit is a hit. I was disappointed to miss both with the Sirocco though but I guess it’s a case of trying too hard which doesn’t work with springers.

It was nice to see all the Crawford’s and I would say that young Jake has got the bug considering how he was badgering Helen to come back down for a shoot next week...👍

Yep shes booked the club gun 😉

Edited by NatS

blimey don't let Helen back in ??? HOLLY

PS the boys would not like it .

10 hours ago, holly said:

blimey don't let Helen back in ??? HOLLY

PS the boys would not like it .

Iceni has a proud tradition of ladies - how many other clubs feature a lady on their club logo? 😁

28 minutes ago, SuffolkRifle said:

Iceni has a proud tradition of ladies - how many other clubs feature a lady on their club logo? 😁

SEFTA has a tradition of featuring a lady on their logo as well...:grin:

Holly's just running scared because he knows that Helen would whoop his butt.

Some old granny off the street could whop my butt ??? HOLLY 

PS let us hope there none coming to Bisley GP . 

1 hour ago, holly said:

Some old granny off the street could whop my butt ??? HOLLY 

PS let us hope there none coming to Bisley GP . 

Good to see that the spirit of free love from the 60's is still running strong on the Rock...:rolleyes:

This old granny will be at Bisley 😉

1 hour ago, NatS said:

This old granny will be at Bisley 😉

:rofl2:

Ooops , thank god your not in Open . yeahhhhh . nope the only granny at bisley will be Colin . ?  i suppose i will have to listen in awe as to how he conquered the course . again . ??? HOLLY 

PS hang on though , i think allyson is going . right i will have to beat her .

18 hours ago, holly said:

Ooops , thank god your not in Open . yeahhhhh . nope the only granny at bisley will be Colin . ?  i suppose i will have to listen in awe as to how he conquered the course . again . ??? HOLLY 

PS hang on though , i think allyson is going . right i will have to beat her .

Gansta Granny, Oh yea....:rolleyes:

Don't cross that Dame Col ??? HOLLY 

PS Could be your last if you do . 

37 minutes ago, holly said:

Don't cross that Dame Col ??? HOLLY 

PS Could be your last if you do . 

You just worry about Nats as she's planning to chew gum and kick butt and she's plain out of gum...:grin:

She will have to put on a bit of weight first to kick my butt . anyway there is only 9 people in open ? so i am guaranteed a top ten place ??? HOLLY

PS i bet none of you lot get that . heh heh heh

3 hours ago, holly said:

She will have to put on a bit of weight first to kick my butt . anyway there is only 9 people in open ? so i am guaranteed a top ten place ??? HOLLY

PS i bet none of you lot get that . heh heh heh

Luckily taking that as an average guarantees no glory for you...😁

To Glory we sail ??? HOLLY

PS or not .

7 hours ago, holly said:

To Glory we sail ??? HOLLY

PS or not .

I think your boat spring a leak a while ago....🤣