Sign in to follow this  
holly

Progress ?

New rifle ( steyr ) , new stock GC . new ideas time . in other words progress . the same old , same old will not cut it any more i have found . you can either give up or try harder . i am trying harder. searching for methods that can help me get back to where i was B H ? before hip . A grade is where i should be . the body is obviously not as good as it was . can't use the tripod effect of two feet on the deck and two elbows on the thighs any more . so how to counteract the wobble that comes with a unstable position . one of the ways is ambush the kill , within the movement . as you wobble past the kill . not good on the steyr , it needs good trigger tech . so what i came up with was to mag down to 20 mag , to shoot on , to get that steadyness . sitting on a lane on my second circuit of the course . it came to me that if 20 mag was steady , maybe 15 mag would be better still . or maybe ten mag ( i was told old tim findus . shot on 8 mag on his burris )  so nothing ventured nothing gained . i tried it . seemed to work quite well . will try it seriously tomorrow if it does not rain ??? HOLLY 

Posted (edited)

Well done

Edited by dc1

Or you can take the same approach as Barry McGraw. He kneels with a large bag between his legs and has a fancy attachment to his rifle that pushes into the groin area,so it’s sort of kneeling but aided. It looks very comfortable and it seems to help him. Grandad could fabricate the stock extension. 

Got one stan . it is a crutch . don't try , don't know ??? HOLLY

Luckily the BFTA haven't banned thigh rests yet so maybe think along this line of development.

Banned in WFTF.

25 minutes ago, robF said:

Banned in WFTF.

Yep but I don't think Holly is likely to do any shoots, apparently all the Johnny Foreigners put him off...:rolleyes: 

Is that why he didn't do Nelson?

34 minutes ago, robF said:

Is that why he didn't do Nelson?

Probably, either that or he ran out of time to get a rifle and scope back in one piece for the shoot...:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

Probably, either that or he ran out of time to get a rifle and scope back in one piece for the shoot...:rolleyes:

You forgot the pellets and stock in that list as well.

17 minutes ago, AndyIoW said:

You forgot the pellets and stock in that list as well.

I thought Holly went bareback these days and taking a leaf out of Calpin's book only used random pellets he could pick up from t'zero range at the shoot itself?  :grin: 

I tried the thigh rest , as said it is a crutch . if anybody else needs one . i still have it . they do work if desperate . no point in doing nelson . still trying to get to grips with the steyr . what it really needs is a winter league under it's belt . 

Progress was made of a sort today in that wind . working on the if it does not kill you . it makes you stronger way of thinking . as usual it was a case of some times being too clever by half . andy will be pleased cos i have painted some of the targets black for him . he will like that sunday ??? HOLLY

11 minutes ago, holly said:

I tried the thigh rest , as said it is a crutch . if anybody else needs one . i still have it . they do work if desperate . no point in doing nelson . still trying to get to grips with the steyr . what it really needs is a winter league under it's belt . 

Progress was made of a sort today in that wind . working on the if it does not kill you . it makes you stronger way of thinking . as usual it was a case of some times being too clever by half . andy will be pleased cos i have painted some of the targets black for him . he will like that sunday ??? HOLLY

I thought desperation was your mantra these days, but no matter....:grin:

I'm sure Andy will be having flashbacks to Nelson as soon as he sees what you've done with the targets. I hope you at least painted the kills a contrasting colour?  :grin:

58 minutes ago, Eaton Rifles said:

I thought desperation was your mantra these days, but no matter....:grin:

I'm sure Andy will be having flashbacks to Nelson as soon as he sees what you've done with the targets. I hope you at least painted the kills a contrasting colour?  :grin:

This is Holly Colin when he paints everything is painted, himself included.

I was going to paint some black myself as I need to find a way to stop it happening again.

41 minutes ago, AndyIoW said:

This is Holly Colin when he paints everything is painted, himself included.

I was going to paint some black myself as I need to find a way to stop it happening again.

Get a scope with an illuminated reticle?  :grin:

illum ret is NOT the way to do it Col . great for aiming , no good for ranging . you need to either get a good quality scope or range on something else near the target that you can see . lupes love black targets . the definition of pellet marks is spot on . Andy is earning good money now . so no excuse . get a modern rifle and scope if you want to get in to the show down Andy ??? HOLLY

I disagree, a mild illuminated reticle AFTER you've ranged is perfect for those silhouetted dark targets in a murky wood...:thumb:

if you need an illum ret ? you should have bought a better scope ??? HOLLY

That i would have to agree with Holls.

The only times i ever had trouble was looking in to dense underr growth from afar in a field with the sun behind after it rained on the lenses with 1/8" DOT. Thats near on the size of a Leup Comp DOT.

Funny things scopes , one mans meat is another's poison . my march is the scope of choice in the summer when it is hot/bright .  the colours through it are flat , which helps my eyes . the lupe is the scope of choice in the winter . light bright and spot on in the cold weather . looking through the march , i sometimes struggle to find a target . the lupe i go straight to the targets , why , dunno . the march i can now happily shoot it on 15 mag . the lupe 40 mag  .??? HOLLY

Either way I’m not worried as I have possibly the best x40 Comp in the World with clarity that sears your eyeballs. I’d let you have a look at Bisley but bring sunglasses to protect your retinas...👍

I shall be to busy demolishing the course ??? HOLLY

38 minutes ago, holly said:

I’ve heard the only courses you’ve ever demolished involve a knife and fork.

Right Darron goes to the top of my list . Hmmmm now where did i put that damn list ??? HOLLY

6 hours ago, holly said:

Giving you a strimmer are they? 😂

20 hours ago, Darron said:

I’ve heard the only courses you’ve ever demolished involve a knife and fork.

14 hours ago, springboy said:

Giving you a strimmer are they? 😂

Good ones boys we’ve got the measure of this old boy before Bisley...🤣

since you boys are among the chattering classes , i expect no more . my self i  shall be driving myself on towards perfection ??? HOLLY

19 minutes ago, holly said:

since you boys are among the chattering classes , i expect no more . my self i  shall be driving myself on towards perfection ??? HOLLY

That drive home from Bisley is all you need to worry about, penniless and wondering where it all went wrong mate...👍

this is to be seen mustapha . it is all about ying and yang . i will be in , you will yang . and ell deserved too ??? HOLLY

On 6/17/2018 at 11:39 PM, holly said:

this is to be seen mustapha . it is all about ying and yang . i will be in , you will yang . and ell deserved too ??? HOLLY

:grin: hmmm, where have we heard all this before?