Sign in to follow this  
holly

Wind and Deep woods ?

Today brought home the problems with shooting in deep woods on a windy day . after a few lanes you start to get paranoid about what is happening on the lane you are on . in the end i kept to a rule . 1 / if you cannot detect what is happening . aim straight in the middle . 2. / if you think you have a clue . aim inside the kill to the edge you think it is .  3./ your sure you know where it is coming from . give it twice the wind  you think it is . . either way , you will end up with a headache ??? HOLLY

Had the same dilemma last Sunday. Sat down on a 52 yarder. Could feel the wind on the right side of my face,watched the fairies coming down at the target end left to right,aimed just inside left edge and it landed where I aimed. 5mm more to the left and it would’ve dinked. Could’ve got away with down the middle. Couple of minutes later wind changed,Dave aimed right edge and got blown way over to the left. 

life sure ain't easy for a field targeteer  ??? HOLLY

Newbury was always the one for wind in woods, especially going down either side of the hill.

Always used to amuse me when we had the Worlds there and people experienced the Newbury wind for the first time...:rofl2: 

I'll say it again Poking and Hoping aint FT and whats its become ruling skill out.

I remember those two american chaps sitting on the zero range at newbury , at my first worlds there  . one say's to the other " Boy he say's , if we can't get those twenty five yarders . were in trouble "? and they were ??? HOLLY

12 minutes ago, Jon said:

I'll say it again Poking and Hoping aint FT and whats its become ruling skill out.

Get your behind over here Jon . enough wind here to keep you happy ??? HOLLY

Remember Stu telling me he partnered one and said i guarantee i can group off the knee sub 1/4" at 55 yards, they looked at each other. He did it, there you go.

The other was we shoot to get the ranges to dial to, couldnt comprehend.

Too many useless gizmos, learn the ropes get on with it.

When Stu was at the top of his game , he was the man ??? HOLLY

11 hours ago, Jon said:

This was mid nineties Jon and if you thought you could poke n’ hope round Newbury you were in trouble.

Holly they were the group of Yanks who shot FT in a huge 100m bunker in Arizona so had never experienced the joys of wind on a course. I shot round with one and he honestly didn’t have a clue where to aim so throated most of them.

i would have offered him the benefit of my wealth of experience but as an ex colonial I didn’t want to lower myself...😉

quite so , quite so ??? HOLLY

Shot for Midlands first time the Regionals and Champs were held at Newbury 95 8th rings a bell, my score counted that enough!

I got complacent in 2011 1 down by lane 19.

13 hours ago, Jon said:

Shot for Midlands first time the Regionals and Champs were held at Newbury 95 8th rings a bell, my score counted that enough!

I got complacent in 2011 1 down by lane 19.

Shot many times at Newbury and would alway find that you generally had a good shoot up one side and at the top, then absolutely crashed and burned on the way down the other side...😳

On 6/17/2018 at 7:59 AM, Eaton Rifles said:

Shot many times at Newbury and would alway find that you generally had a good shoot up one side and at the top, then absolutely crashed and burned on the way down the other side...😳

Many a time just got the hang of the Newbury wind on the ridge only for it to go to pieces on the other side.

Sunday the wind was a bit gusty at the club and on more than 1 target it needed nothing despite bits of leaves moving briskly in the air. I mean a narrow 52yd target I gave just outside right edge of plate only to get air. Aimed in middle and down it went. Next lane a 40yd aim middle and it's off to the left about 50mm from centre.

The 52 yarder took two inches off the plate when i shot it ??? HOLLY

2 hours ago, holly said:

The 52 yarder took two inches off the plate when i shot it ??? HOLLY

You barrel is bent again...🤣

And you sir have shot your bolt ??? HOLLY

21 minutes ago, holly said:

And you sir have shot your bolt ??? HOLLY

William Tell is not my thing old boy...:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

You barrel is bent again...🤣

Yes probably been used as a pellet like he has done before.

I am looking forward to giving Holly grief tomorrow as off work for 5 days, some sort of festival happening which gives me commuting trouble.

Take time off no commute trouble.

Might even 'tinker' a little bit.

39 minutes ago, AndyIoW said:

Yes probably been used as a pellet like he has done before.

I am looking forward to giving Holly grief tomorrow as off work for 5 days, some sort of festival happening which gives me commuting trouble.

Take time off no commute trouble.

Might even 'tinker' a little bit.

Nothing like Tinkering and drinking while off from work Andy...:D

My barrel is intact . starting to get with the rifle more now as opposed to against it ??? HOLLY

16 hours ago, holly said:

My barrel is intact . starting to get with the rifle more now as opposed to against it ??? HOLLY

Always a good start. You have just over a week to prove you can get back in the mainstream....:rolleyes:

I think a winter league at least . still lots to try ??? HOLLY

11 minutes ago, holly said:

I think a winter league at least . still lots to try ??? HOLLY

Good job you have all day, every day then otherwise you'd be as -rubbish- as we are....:rolleyes:

Btw Amber my daughter is down on the Rock for the week with her school so behave yourself....😎

Not a hope in hell of that dear boy ? getting old disgracefully??? HOLLY

19 hours ago, holly said:

Not a hope in hell of that dear boy ? getting old disgracefully??? HOLLY

Luckily she got off the Rock unmolested...heading back to sunny Essex...:rolleyes:

I will bet she wants to come back . but her mean old dad , won't let her . boo boo .??? HOLLY 

PS park resorts do a 5 day deal , on caravans in sept . ferry thrown in  . so you don't have to tow yours 

Well she had a great time amazingly. Even went to Carrisbroke Castle, she doesn’t realise what a close shave that was....🤣

Yes but is her tight old man . bringing her back to the sceptered isle ??? HOLLY

Maybe but not this year, we’re off to sunny Norfolk in August...🤣