Sign in to follow this  
AndyIoW

Tinkering and Practice

good to hear ??? HOLLY

Looks like you'll be doing a lot of both before East Devon, maybe give the fleece an airing as that drive home must have been windy with all the windows open...:rolleyes:

did two lanes without the fleece , missed two targets ??? HOLLY

12 hours ago, holly said:

The fleece is a crutch only, it can't offer anything apart from a gentle grilling in the heat....:rofl2:

No , not so . it is a mystical thing  . many do not understand the benefit's . ??? HOLLY

20 hours ago, holly said:

So we assume the other 8 were with the fleece on??

You missed more with it lol

• Haha 1

i missed 5 along the fence ( one a twitch of the finger ) the rest were from lane one . damn i could not get the wind right . thought i had dialled around . but no . just could not suss it ??? HOLLY

8 hours ago, holly said:

i missed 5 along the fence ( one a twitch of the finger ) the rest were from lane one . damn i could not get the wind right . thought i had dialled around . but no . just could not suss it ??? HOLLY

Judging by how bad your trigger was the wind was the least of your worries...🤣

That's a good trick... there was only 4! 😄

Was thinking same. Sun mist have gotten him and seeing 1 in a mirage.

Right getting back on track of the thread.

Positives from Bisley, I only missed 1 on fence, number 10 by the pole, never hit when there anyway. Technique getting better but more standing practice needed as only got 4/6 and 1/4 (standers then kneelers which are also standers for me).

Negatives still not getting my head round the wind at Bisley, of the misses 10 I saw either land on the edges. A mixture of inside right goes outside left. Outside right goes straight and on the occasional left edge or outside did  the same. Very frustrating and got into my head to much I think.

A bit of practice this weekend ready for the following one.

Posted (edited)

So... (work with me on this).... if you think you're reading the wind right....

inside right takes 40mm
Inside left takes nothing

If that's what you think should happen then I'd suggest turning your windage 20mm left. It depends on what distance you're seeing that 20mm... but for ease sake, 1 MOA at 50yds is 12.5mm, so I'd say dial your windage by 1.6 numbers left.... that's 6 clicks if your 1/4 MOA or 13 clicks 1/8th MOA.

That will put you roughly in the centre. Make a note (or set the turret on zero before moving it, if you can). See how you go on a course, if you don't like it, dial it back.

The problem is windage outdoors is difficult, almost impossible. Yeh yeh people say they can do it, but it's very difficult... then you get them indoors where there is no wind and they find they're out... take a trip to Donny to be sure. Unless you have conditions which are extremely still and are able to verify that all the way to the target then you are guessing... and really likely to be out to some degree. What a lot of people do is zero closer. But they can't see the effect of say a few clicks so they can be out.

My walther is 4mm left at 10yds. If I dial that out I need to move the turret 1.6 MOA. In other words you can dial a lot of clicks close in to move a tiny amount... it has far more effect down range. That 1.6 MOA puts me about 20mm out at 50 yds and I get the symptoms you're describing. I know this because recently I've been trying to get to the bottom of what I can do to solve it, but I don't want to touch my rig. So I know i'll be no more than 4mm out left. That's a lot less than 20mm out at 50yds.

I'm fortunate in that I have a range I can shoot in windless conditions and walk it all the way out to ensure it is, use flags, smoke, whatever and I can group through the same hole well enough to take mm measurements on my zero.

Edited by robF

Sounds like a bit of cross-over to be honest.

I think a lot of shooters would be surprised that their scopes and barrels aren't perfectly parallel. 

Rob, for me it seemed if I gave a target inside an edge it moved just enough to take it out the opposite edge ie i side right pellet landed outside left. If i did just outside right the pellet landed on aim point. 

It is just me not being able to 'read' it right and with the target direction changes on some lanes just made it worse.

Confident not crossover as checked a few weeks ago on a very still Sunday morning with wool indicators every 10 yes to 60 and pellets landing on aim points.

6 hours ago, robF said:

That's a good trick... there was only 4! 😄

That is from lane 7 where we started to lane 25 .  ? HOLLY 

Ah theres the problem, we thought you meant along the fence,but you meant along the fence

yeah that is what i thought . confusing innit ??? HOLLY

9 hours ago, holly said:

yeah that is what i thought . confusing innit ??? HOLLY

No, it’s just you...🤣

get a grip man ??? HOLLY

53 minutes ago, holly said:

get a grip man ??? HOLLY

My grip is fine, it's all sculptured and everything, pity it was made for Matt who has hands like shovels, but hey ho...:grin:

Then stop being tight and get some new ones that fit man ??? HOLLY

9 hours ago, holly said:

Then stop being tight and get some new ones that fit man ??? HOLLY

I have to suffer for my sport...:rolleyes:

Get a grip man ??? HOLLY

16 hours ago, holly said:

Get a grip man ??? HOLLY

Second sign of dementia is repeating yourself...:rolleyes:

get a grip man ??? HOLLY

4 hours ago, holly said:

get a grip man ??? HOLLY

:rofl2:

Seems it was purely operator errors at Bisley. Spent half an hour at club in a still wind checking windage and it good.

However after some seriously hot bridge destruction and partial rebuild yesterday with Holly being a work supervisor in a chair. I tried again but muscles twitching like mad and a rather wet shirt on, ideal practice for Devon, could not keep steady enough but happy with the morning session.

Holly has decided that his 'chrono' issues down to the rifle not bringing level when firing. Che ked it over his chrony and had about 10fps variation. Best he just ignore what the GP chrono says and just shoot next time.   

well it seems as if the rifle even with me not being able to hold the rifle properly ( due to back )  . it stayed withing what i would expect from an older rifle . 10 fps will make no difference down range . i did what i could on the bridge . every bit helps . gonna look good when finished and safe . big well done to alan the bridge . -excrement- shot But -excrement- hot bloke ??? HOLLY

3 hours ago, holly said:

well it seems as if the rifle even with me not being able to hold the rifle properly ( due to back )  . it stayed withing what i would expect from an older rifle . 10 fps will make no difference down range . i did what i could on the bridge . every bit helps . gonna look good when finished and safe . big well done to alan the bridge . -excrement- shot But -excrement- hot bloke ??? HOLLY

Sounds like a bit of man-love goin' on there Holls....:rofl2:

Good fella , can't shoot ??? HOLLY

Good fella , can't shoot ??? HOLLY

Ahhhhhh the ironing....:rolleyes: