Sign in to follow this  
AndyIoW

Tinkering and Practice

Seeing as there is some sort of big music festival on the weekend over here, with about 4 bands I have heard of, I have a few extra days off work.

So off to the club I went to have a tinker with the course and some practice. Tinkering was sorting put some strings as some do not actually go straight there but wonder around first. I then added a new lane after a bit of brush clearing. Not long but have the potential for an interesting couple of targets. 

After some tea drinking and some Holly baiting I headed out to practice. With a total of 41 targets out that could be seen, the others hidden by leaves, ferns or nettles, wind was a bit gusty and changing in directions. I started at the top of the hill  were the first 6 lanes are and then worked my way down.on the next six. On the first 6 I  missed only 1, a black faceplate which I missed due to giving the wrong side for wind. It was the longer and the pellet moved about 2" right compared to the majority on the previous lanes going about 1-1.5" left.

The next 6 lanes are about 90 deg from the first 6 lanes and I missed 2 a near 35yd 25mm reducer and then a few lanes on a 24yd 15mm. Both me due to moving, bad technique as they went high. So 24 target shot and 3 misses, 4 standers in there and all down. The last 17 targets are on the flatter part of the ground, 2 standers, one on each lane as the others covered, here as well. Did not miss a single one here so finished on a 38/41. Pleased that the light running I am doing 3 times a week seems to be helping. 

Talking to Holly afterwards the the ones I missed he got but I got the ones he missed, not sure how many he dropped at the end. Wind was definately moving direction on each lane with the trees and bushes in full leaf making it difficult to read at time. Had a few that I gave just inside edge to see the pellet land there even with strings and bits of leaves indicating otherwise.

Think on Sunday might have to have a bit of a challenge by having a 90 seconds on a lane. After I have moved a couple of the targets of course. 

All in all happy with the day and hoping it will continue for Bisley.

Yes I think andy was being a bit too nice with the new lane . the mini is a bit close and the long one , well not long enough . when i sat down to shoot the mini . i had a look at the trees and the back of the swamp . very deceptive range wise . by eye it is " your joking " by scope , it is , can't be . interesting . the hard bit will be skirting the swamp to get to the tree . you don't mess with our swamp . sunday i think we can sort it ??? HOLLY

PS yes andy did well for the conditions . i need a fraction more stability . 

As with all the lanes Holly they are all up for change at some point. Most if the lanes need some trimming again on Sunday probably, might even get the paint out so we can find them easier.

From memory there are

8 between 50-55

7 between 40-50

7 between 30-40

24, 33, 21, 32 25mm

16, 24 15mm reducers

Standers 37, 26, 22, 36, 26, 37(can not see), 15, 32

And a couple of shorter ones. Will make notes on the course later as there are 22 lanes at the moment so plenty of choices to make.

WHAT is carisbrooke going soft ? paint , surely not . oil is what they need i think . ??? HOLLY

Just paddle not the rest of it. Of course taking the oil as well for that bit of maintenance.

57 minutes ago, AndyIoW said:

Just paddle not the rest of it. Of course taking the oil as well for that bit of maintenance.

I'm sure Holly has a few hundred gallons left over from his foray into BMW bike maintenance.

Not unless he left the engine oil in the gearbox of course....:grin:

I still have the old engine oil in a container . so will try to bring it along HOLLY

14 hours ago, holly said:

I still have the old engine oil in a container . so will try to bring it along HOLLY

Lovely, I’m sure Andy will appreciate getting covered in that...🤣

Yes a slippery customer is our Andy ??? HOLLY

More tinkering done.

Firstly shot the course with one target moved from the lane put in on Thursday. Missed 5 out of the first 6 lanes. Double dinked the first lane and the 3th(standers) and also missed the 2 targrt on new lane. The other 2 misses were another sander and the next 42yd one, first me second not enough wind.

After tea changed the new lane from a 25 reducer with a full size and them to kneeling lane. Reducer moved on a few lanes. Also tweaked another lane by moving one target. Had a quick go and this moved target seems to take a bit more wind.

Anyway good practice so feeling ready for Bisley.

Yes lane one or woody's end as i call it . we have another bitch shot called robs end .  . course is starting to be interesting . needs tweaking of course . some digging required to level a couple of lanes and some tree roots have appeared . so will have to alter those . well done to andy putting out the longer one on the new lane . he had to brave some parts of the swamp to get it there but well worth it as it is a deceiver . at least for range ,. we took the lane standing . did i mention i hit it first time ? no well i did . the new strap does work on the standers . it does not make me more accurate . but it allows me more time in the aim before i have to come down . ready for bisley ? dunno . but go we will ??? HOLLY

All I can say at least I did not get bitten today by whatever bit me Thursday. Back of my right hand is still slightly swollen. Thinking it might have been a horse fly cause it was a big bugfer that I saw on the knuckles.

3 doses of insect repellent with deet kept them clear, had to respray as sweating like in a sauna in the woods.

22 lanes out at the moment scope measured ranges and got

50+ x8

45+ x6

40+ x2

35+ x4

25+ x10

10+ x4

Plus 6 standers and 4 keepers.

Results were 7 dropped, missed 3 standers and 2 45+ and 2 50+ targets through wind, split equally for not giving enough and to much. Quite difficult to read today as even some of those I got were close to missing.

Did i mention i got the long stander ??? HOLLY

12 hours ago, holly said:

Did i mention i got the long stander ??? HOLLY

That's all your luck used up for Bisley....:grin:

Col it is going to be sheer skill the whole way . no luck involved . now where did i put my lucky horse shoe , my four leaf clover and my lock of nick jenkinsons hair . ??? HOLLY

Judging by the results for worlds 2017 I wouldn’t bother with the lock of Jenks hair lol

1 hour ago, Darron said:

Judging by the results for worlds 2017 I wouldn’t bother with the lock of Jenks hair lol

Sir Nick beat me by one target in Wales, all I needed was two more targets and glory would have been mine.

Then all I would have needed was a time machine to go back to Fareham ‘92 toclaim my rightful prize after the roasting on that damn field...👍🏆🥇

Sir nick was just warming up lads ??? HOLLY

I used to shoot regularly with Sir Nick back in the day and he sure was the man to beat but you can’t just blow the dust off your kit after how many years and get straight back at it. I know. Also if your going to hamstring yourself with a Hawke then your just going to make the job harder. It was nice to see him again though but it did make me feel old lol

I must admit I was surprised at the Hawke but I guess if you’re sponsored by them, sticking your Leupold on in the competition wouldn’t go down well. Plus as Holly says he was only warming up, hopefully we’ll see him 2019...👍

Top man , win or lose ??? HOLLY

3 hours ago, holly said:

Top man , win or lose ??? HOLLY

Aye, been there done it three times so nothing to prove.

Always an entertaining chat with Nick surprising how much he remembers.

Remembers ? who are you . where am i and what am i doing ??? HOLLY

12 hours ago, holly said:

Remembers ? who are you . where am i and what am i doing ??? HOLLY

Just drink your coco and try and remember to practice squeezing pellets...🤣

I thought it was just SEFTA did that ??? HOLLY

5 hours ago, holly said:

I thought it was just SEFTA did that ??? HOLLY

Such slanerous slurs Sir.

Everyone knows that you’re not called ‘ball-crusher’ for nothing....🤣

Or Colin's Cannon ??? HOLLY

22 hours ago, holly said:

Or Colin's Cannon ??? HOLLY