L.R.S.4.52

Does anyone make there own airgun parts

Does anyone make there own bits , ie, have a toy shop ?Trigger.thumb.jpg.5e8d04b0d3bf87f140951bd4262799be.jpg

Did you make the stock as well as the action, Jeff?

Yes Dave , I wanted a bit of a different look , it kind of evolves along with everything else or the rifle . The action has a really special bolt ,the prod and bore seals run on the inner bolt which runs in an outer bolt which loads the action and totally opens the breach , my own design 😊

it has a 650mm polygonal barrel which has twin ports instead of a single port in the bottom ,i fire the air charge at each other to turn it 90 deg and it recharges the power , like clapping your hands the air that comes out the sides is travelling faster which means i can use less air and have the same power . 😊

20 hours ago, L.R.S.4.52 said:

it has a 650mm polygonal barrel which has twin ports instead of a single port in the bottom ,i fire the air charge at each other to turn it 90 deg and it recharges the power , like clapping your hands the air that comes out the sides is travelling faster which means i can use less air and have the same power . 😊

Great idea, Jon Harris who is on here used to make his own rifles and is hoping to get back to that at some time in the future...:grin:

Im building a rifle at the moment , mostly grade 5 titanium  and some 7075 ali  apart from the barrel 16mm  od  4.52mm poly bore . Ive got an idea for doing away with the bolt action in a way . 

Might finish number 23 one day, been on hold since end of March 2003.

I only do one offs down to the last screw no copies of anything, all has to be worked out.

Downturn to that twin transfer port is wasted energy and inefficiency behind the valve.

Never heard anyone say polygon barrels any good in sub 12 ft/lb might want to change.

For a sec thought Custom of Sheffield made that CS1000.

The Titan trigger can work ok but vast improvements can be made by making new sears, still wont turn it in to a two stage trigger.

Posted (edited)

wouldent pay that money , besides would rather make my own  , they probley wished they had have tho ,  . as fo
r the barrel  not even if you payed me to change it , and as for the ports   , 220 shots at 11.6 ftlds at the wiltshire shooting center ,  the pressure clock on the end of my barrel says different . and if the numbers are bigger than a single port that will do me ,  still working on the trigger its coming on , any way  im off to play in my toy shop   

20150927_201559 (1).jpg

Edited by L.R.S.4.52
pic doubled

Jon. do you have pictures of your builds on here ???

I havent 'made' any for 15 years. Previous to that digi cameras not around.

Best lathe ever had on the whole one of them 140's, could put a cut on.

I am heavy going on machinery scrapped it 8 years ago with all extras inc full set of change wheels, 11" 4 jaw, coolant etc.

Point is you will never know whats best twin transfer port or a single for various reasons over looked.

Wondered why you get some good and some bad ones, parts made exactly the same, its down to two things.

Is true best lathe mine metric have change gears for imperial , as for shootiee things its that combination of all the parts being matched together , pressures , volumes , flow , turbulence , length of barrel , ammo taking the time to learn what will give you the flattest line but having that bit of weight to hold the breeze abit , anyway  like the days of the old springers  people cutting barrels off .dident bother with sweep volumes ,port sizes , just whack a big spring in and some weight and hope the recoil dont make your scope part of your head , if you dont do the maths dont bother ,  giz the hacksaw im going to cut my barrel  here coz it looks cool ha ha ha , seen it all , 

Here Jon , you do know their are laws , about not making stuff when you have skills , i might have to report you to the shed engineering association . 

On 7/2/2018 at 10:39 PM, L.R.S.4.52 said:

wouldent pay that money , besides would rather make my own  , they probley wished they had have tho ,  . as fo
r the barrel  not even if you payed me to change it , and as for the ports   , 220 shots at 11.6 ftlds at the wiltshire shooting center ,  the pressure clock on the end of my barrel says different . and if the numbers are bigger than a single port that will do me ,  still working on the trigger its coming on , any way  im off to play in my toy shop   

20150927_201559 (1).jpg

Jon also has a 'toy shop' but considerably more swarf...:rolleyes:

I did do clean before pic , its now covered in lush gr5 titanium ,7075 ali , 316- 440 stainless , cz121 -cz125 brass you could eat your dinner off it ha ha ha 

Ive been a bit bizzy .20180715_172038.thumb.jpg.fdd1398ba6d60249b9d440bed027c3e1.jpg

All machined in line

20180715_184003.thumb.jpg.d9f5647234a24894a1c906fddec5496a.jpg

All grade 5 Titanium 

20180715_183001.thumb.jpg.67343bcc988cfb1af181cdc8e8ef6b1c.jpg

20180715_183127.thumb.jpg.01c5c7d2a4e5627f5dfae7af205b50a5.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmm

There you go last titanium cylinder done, reg and reg volume, seemless joint with quick fill.

Pressure test 350BAR Titanium 32mmdiaxM29.75mm0001.JPG

DSCN59850001JH PARDINI GPR1 PRO TOP No2.JPG

DSCN59840001JH Pardini RS0272.JPG

DSCN59760001JH Pardini RS0272.JPG

Dragged this out last week Number 2 from 1993, shocked still had air in it from 2005 Worlds.
Got the better of me partial strip down and front of reg, valve and transfer port o rings rock hard like plastic. That bad had to break them to get them off but still no leak.

Have a piccy in 2005, rest are last week not bad considering a hand made one off down to the last screw not a copy of anything all worked out.

Wont let me upload more than 512kb

See if this works number 2 from August 1993 all done with a toy lathe and no mill.

1st taken apart pre Worlds 2005.

2nd last week same reg used by many many others inc Anchutz, Walther, BSA, Mick Dawes, ISP and may more. Tested still works at 83bar untouched in 13 years.

3rd Trigger a proper 2 stage not a single stage easy to make item.

Harris No2 disassembly 2005 small.jpg

Harris Number 2 Disassembly July 2018 small.jpg

Harris Number 2 Trigger date Disassembly 2018 small.jpg

Nice work Mr Jon ,  what i find kind of spooky is we both have same initials ha ha ha ,  question ?  have you ever played with geared and cam triggers  instead of levers ,  I came up with this idea ages ago from my engine tuning days ,  spanner on the end of the crank .. big trigger .. and watching the valve gear rocker arm ,  I was thinking the tip of the rocker arm as hammer release , refined you know what i mean , looking for something different .   

Cam trigger was on number 6 a stainless steel G316 semi bullpup 1995 11" long one piece no linkages and proper 2 stage you could blow through 1st and 2nd stage. Took me ages to design and work out all the leverage ratios necessary. Thumb wheels for 1st and 2nd stage adjustment weight.

Its the only rifle i disown since it was butchered in 2000 by a supposed top name that couldnt figure the trigger, valve and hammer assembly. So crude it made me cringe no joke left with 1/4" blade creep at 2nd stage, told send it back.

Wouldnt be a decent trigger doing that way, 10 mile of creep and exactly like quality shotguns ultra primitive.

Number 2 i used to run that at 2.8mm stroke for 5 years then backed it off to 1/8". Only Feinwerkbau have come close to date at 3.5mm using similar hammer spring. Key is i used the valving to stop dumping air back in 92. Titan MS020 i got down to 1.4mm stroke for max power with no side effects, no one else to date has figured.

With all the R&D involved even back then at 50p/hr the Titan and first rifle made would owe me £30k labour only. The knowledge i'll take with me when people of today can only copy others work and get great praise.