itsray

Hatsan Gladius with noisy action

Hi,

Another problem to solve that is more of an annoyance than a fault.

Every time I shoot the Gladius I can hear quite loudly what appears to be the hammer striking the valve. The noise of it is louder than the muzzle report even with the shrouded barrel, but also with an additional moderator fitted too!

Can this be adjusted or modified?

Its just a base rifle with a massively heavy and monstrous long stroke hammer, your getting resonanance.

To cure credit to ISP who engineered the part solution back in 1993 and shown what to do to Bowkett who made a mint.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Jon said:

Its just a base rifle with a massively heavy and monstrous long stroke hammer, your getting resonanance.

To cure credit to ISP who engineered the part solution back in 1993 and shown what to do to Bowkett who made a mint.

Ah! Cheers muchly. That gives me hope then. Can you tell me just who ISP are and how they are contacted?  I shall then seek out ISP and see what is on offer. Any more info on them would help.

In the meantime I have stripped it and taken every rough and sharp edge out of the actions steel cylinder and wet and dry papered the internals so they too are smooth. Never seen the internals of any rifle I have owned, including the cheapo Chinese B2 with such a poor level of machined parts and synthetic mouldings! The barrel gives it credit and it is extremely accurate, that being its only saving grace. The design measurement tolerances can be seen by the naked eye without needing the use of a vernier gauge or micrometer.

I coated the inside before assembly with a thin coat of DriSlide. I polished the trigger components too just to make it a full job. It now operates far better but I will still sort out that hammer noise and tighten up the very loose links in the cocking system.

This Gladius rifle cost £100.00 more than my Walther Rotex RM8 and the quality level of that one is beyond criticism, its perfect. If Walther can do it then there is no excuse at all for Hatsan's exceptionally poor quality control!

Maybe I can give the hammer dimensions to a machine shop and have one made from a lighter material?

Edited by itsray

Posted (edited)

Ok, Just took advice and fitted a 'De-Pinger' exactly as instructed into the reservoir but it made no difference whatsoever. Only thing it can now be causing the impact noise is that heavy hammer, its stroke or the reservoir output valve spring itself being too strong.

One way or another I intend to solve this frustrating riddle. I might then contact Hatsan and advise them of how the problem they caused by poor design and workmanship was eventually solved!

Question - Does the AT44 also suffer this problem? If not that is strange when the Gladius virtually copied its design and made it a Bullpup.

Edited by itsray

Ok, No answers from Hatsan or the Importers so looks its down to me and anyone else who can help. So far today I have done the hammer spring adjustment and it has made no difference to the hammer noise at all which is what I expected. I have now returned the adjustment to its starting place and that was to develop 11.40ft/lb at 782fps which is just under the UK legal limit.
My next step looks to be a weakening of the rear hammer spring and perhaps a more powerful 'cushion' spring at the front of the hammer to relieve some of the mass velocity of the hammer strike. I think if I get this balance correct then the air valve will still open efficiently but without the hammer impact noise. Another solution might be to add a same diameter x 3mm nylon pad the front of the hammer then re-adjust the hammer spring tension to suit. I am still considering having a lighter weight hammer of the original dimensions made too.
Not exactly looking forward to the many strip down and rebuilds it might take though. At least if it works out I can post the method of 'how to' and let others Gladius shooters benefit from it.
Anyone know of a single shot adapter being sold for it? At present I am making do with the one I have for my Walther RM8 (not the Walther made one though).

Advice taken from GTA member! The synthetic PEEK material has arrived with which to adapt the original hammer's strike on the air valve. The lack of metal to metal impact should considerably reduce the 'hammer slap' noise and coupled with the de-burring and polishing of the action and trigger components make the rifle a lot more enjoyable to use.

I have still to take the sloppiness out of the cocking lever linkage which will be done by re-drilling and inserting larger diameter 'roll' pins into the hinges.

Edgar Brothers are sending to the RFD a used hammer for me because it is the only one available in the whole of the UK. I wonder why it is the only one available and if it indicates that there is a known poor quality problem with the hammers? For a component supposedly manufactured on a lathe why does mine appear as though it was CAST. It is that rough!