Eaton Rifles

Heavies....

You’ll be using them soon and we’ll all be doomed if we don’t use them lol 

No thanks . good but not for me ??? HOLLY

12 hours ago, holly said:

No thanks . good but not for me ??? HOLLY

There you go, Luddite...🤣

Stick with what you know , i say ??? HOLLY

You mean your scope is a -rubbish- rangefinder??? :)

No it is a good scope but i think for these you would need to get it right to the yard . sides i think it is just a Fad  , that will fade away ??? HOLLY

On 9/3/2018 at 4:10 PM, holly said:

No it is a good scope but i think for these you would need to get it right to the yard . sides i think it is just a Fad  , that will fade away ??? HOLLY

I don't think it's as critical as you think due to the scopes being higher in relation to the barrel.

I didn't see a massive difference in trajectory with my limited testing and Nat who has had a good go of these reckons the same, a few clicks at 55 at the most.

I must be running em low cos i was getting ten clicks . winter league coming . so no time to mess about ??? HOLLY

Ten clicks extra relative to the zero?

Ten clicks between 50 and 55 Nat's ??? HOLLY

PS quarter clicks .

4 hours ago, holly said:

Ten clicks between 50 and 55 Nat's ??? HOLLY

PS quarter clicks .

How high is the scope to the barrel?

four inches line of sight to line of flight ??? HOLLY

18 hours ago, holly said:

four inches line of sight to line of flight ??? HOLLY

Ehh?

Is that 4" from middle of scope to barrel centre or some other half-baked Rock measurement, no wonder you can't hit Jack...:grin:

your back in 1990 col . 4 inches is considered  low nowadays . no wonder you cannot hit anything ??? HOLLY:Spike

After another outing with the heavies, I'm fairly happy with carrying on with them.  Still got the odd small adjustments to make but generally they seem to be running nicely in my gun.  Not the same can be said for anyone else who's tried them down the club.. 😐

did they put the time in Nats to find out why . i have had shooters try some of my pellets and say after three shots . nope no good . it takes at least 5 5 shots for my barrel to get used to a pellet i find ??? HOLLY

Steve did some testing using my heavies earlier this year Holly. Used five different rifles, only ones I can remember are my Cricket, his Daystate, an FTP 900. I think I remember them dropping quite a lot out of his Daystate, producing a flyer every fifth shot from the FTP and mine? Well the Cricket is a given else I wouldn’t be using them.

Simon High tried them through his newly barrelled Steyr on the same day and couldn’t get a group.

Ive stated before although I can’t be sure, I think it’s got a lot to do with barrel choke and spin rate. I don’t know what the other rifles barrels are choked at or what their spin rate is but the Cricket barrel has minimal choke.

Having extolled the pellets virtues in the wind, I need to stop giving so much! I started giving outside edge yesterday when the wind picked up a little. I should’ve stopped doing that immediately! 🙄

I didn't!!!!!!!!

Your experience of extreme drop after 50 yards corresponds with Steve’s Daystate. In the Cricket the POI at 55 is hardly different from 8.44s. Although there are significant differences in trajectory (loop) on the way there. Strange I know but chatting with Nat yesterday she’s experiencing similar with a few clicks only difference.

They do have quite a high BC compared to the lighter pellets.

What ever works for you Barry . i got extremely good groups with them at 55 yards . as good as i have ever put in off a bench . but only if i loaded em in a particular way . so not for me .??? HOLLY

I’m sure with a bit of tweaking of the velocity/barrel tuner I could get heavies working in my rifle but the expresses are performing so well at the moment that I don’t see the need.

Bottom line is that the nut on the trigger needs more tuning than the pellets.

7.9s and strong wind don't mix Col ??? HOLLY

23 hours ago, Barry said:

Steve did some testing using my heavies earlier this year Holly. Used five different rifles, only ones I can remember are my Cricket, his Daystate, an FTP 900. I think I remember them dropping quite a lot out of his Daystate, producing a flyer every fifth shot from the FTP and mine? Well the Cricket is a given else I wouldn’t be using them.

Simon High tried them through his newly barrelled Steyr on the same day and couldn’t get a group.

Ive stated before although I can’t be sure, I think it’s got a lot to do with barrel choke and spin rate. I don’t know what the other rifles barrels are choked at or what their spin rate is but the Cricket barrel has minimal choke.

Having extolled the pellets virtues in the wind, I need to stop giving so much! I started giving outside edge yesterday when the wind picked up a little. I should’ve stopped doing that immediately! 🙄

I didn't!!!!!!!!

Your experience of extreme drop after 50 yards corresponds with Steve’s Daystate. In the Cricket the POI at 55 is hardly different from 8.44s. Although there are significant differences in trajectory (loop) on the way there. Strange I know but chatting with Nat yesterday she’s experiencing similar with a few clicks only difference.

They do have quite a high BC compared to the lighter pellets.

I did the same in that i came out of kill at the oaktree wafta shoot on sunday. Shouldve stayed inside edge :(

I gave Nats heavies a try in my Daystate again last sunday. They didnt even come close to decent grouping but I know my gun can be pellet fussy. The drop compared to 8.4s was 1 mildot (30x mag) at 35 yards, 3 mildots at 55 yards. The big suprise was they took far more wind than the 8.4s. 1-2 mildots at 55 yards with the 8.4s, twice that with the heavies. I dont think I'll bother trying them again.

Edited by SteveC200

Andrew was less than convinced too.  I guess I'm on my own then.  Sleeve incoming from intershoot... I'm doomed!!

just ordered 20 tins from Countryway Gunshop £167 posted

I’ll be ordering a sleeve too (come on Mr taxman....hurry up!!)

4 hours ago, DTM said:

just ordered 20 tins from Countryway Gunshop £167 posted

You must be pretty sure for that sort of dosh ??? HOLLY

my mk1 tx loves em :)

On 9/11/2018 at 10:15 AM, holly said:

7.9s and strong wind don't mix Col ??? HOLLY

You say that but I've found the JSB's don't behave like normal 7.9's, they laugh at the wind. I've missed more targets with them for giving too much wind, not too little....:grin: 

That is why i stopped using 7,9s colin . they just do not take dependable wind ??? HOLLY

PS winter league coming up . so we will see ??? HOLLY

14 hours ago, holly said:

That is why i stopped using 7,9s colin . they just do not take dependable wind ??? HOLLY

PS winter league coming up . so we will see ??? HOLLY

They do take dependable wind, it’s just that I’m not brave enough to not come out of kill and when I do I get hammered. The SF chicane is a good case in point, turning 90 degrees to the wind round the corner and my gut is to give the long one up the tree at least a kill out to the left as it’s 52 yards and blowing a Hooley.

The little voice in my head however is screaming to give it half that sohalf a kill, gut wins so a full kill is given and it splits at 9 o clock....🤔