Sign in to follow this  
Eaton Rifles

Heavies....

So the Kent mob have been using them for a while with good results. I've tried them, two different batches now and both equally bad out of my barrel but remember I have a spiffy barrel tuner that needs careful setup for different pellets and at the moment I'm on the JSB Express bandwagon.

Question is, some people have been finding very favourable results with heavies, especially with windage so does this herald a move back to the era of the Bisley Mags and barraccucudas or is it just a fad and will the mid-weight 8.4's still reign supreme?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ??? HOLLY

Yep, the chubbies are coming, lock up your daughters...:grin:

They are not coming over here ??? HOLLY

PS Ness andy tries em .

well Andy , your pretty heavy . so it might be a match made in heaven ??? HOLLY

32 minutes ago, holly said:

well Andy , your pretty heavy . so it might be a match made in heaven ??? HOLLY

Pot, kettle, black...🤣

BC isnt as bad as Maggies but less favourable than the 8.4 and 7.9gr having same trajectory.

I think the BC is quoted at 0.031. Maybe that’s why when I tried them ,they were only about 5 clicks difference at 55 yards. 

I don't care what the BC is stan . all i know is they drop like a bomb at 50 yards and beyond . and in the open in a strong wind . you have no hope ??? HOLLY

Well I used them this year in the Worlds. They worked well in the swirling wind. Didnt come out of kill once. :)

And how many did you win by ??? HOLLY😎

16 hours ago, holly said:

More than you, now go and hoe your tomato patch or was it tomato patch your hoe, I can't remember....:grin:

I rate them. 10.3 JSBs.

Everything from 10 to 55 yards within 2.5 Mrad. That’s 1 over and 1.5 under the crosshair. Don’t know how many clicks that’s worth as I don’t dial. 

The trajectory is similar to the lighter pellet (8.4) but they hit harder.

Mind you, it’s been a while since I hit anything as far away as 55 yards unrested  🙄

Although I can hit 55 yard mini spinners on the zero range at the club from a seated position reasonably consistently, so I’m claiming misranging as the cause of my misses on the lanes.

In common with other cricket owners, I haven’t found anything better through this barrel.

heavies are a false god col . they promise much and deliver little for the average shot . maybe for a really talented shooter ? hmm maybe i should have a go ??? HOLLY:Spike

18 hours ago, holly said:

heavies are a false god col . they promise much and deliver little for the average shot . maybe for a really desperate shooter ? hmm maybe i should have a go ??? HOLLY:Spike

:rolleyes:

On 8/29/2018 at 12:10 AM, holly said:

Well I won a trophy for 1st and 8th 😄

Not bad , what for  ??? HOLLY

springer vet first and 8th overall. As I said, had a bad second day :(

• Like 1

Good Going . i thought you were jessing about when you said you won something ??? HOLLY 

PS gonna be harder next year though ?

15 hours ago, DTM said:

springer vet first and 8th overall. As I said, had a bad second day :(

Great shooting in very testing conditions...:thumb:

well you know i had to try the heavies . will they , won't they . that is the question . now what do we run em at . 850 fps sounds like a good round figure ??? HOLLY

So what do shooters run these at i wonder ? 723 is top whack . take five off . 718 for the BFTA . probably  700 fps then . we will see on mr steyr . LW barrel is not so far pellet fussy . shoots anything i have put through it  . sunday will tell ??? HOLLY

Best to run them around 710 to be on the safe side. I put them through mine and they were spitting them out at 728,too hot for my liking. Didn’t want to drop power as it’s only doing low 11’s with 8.4’s 

Mine is doing around 695 with them consistently.   Hadn't changed a things from the 8.4s which run at 780

Shot them at Springfield and they showed promise although too soon to say definitively. 

Heavies - the oh so slight windage advantage of about 1/8 kill over 8.4 at 50yds is heavily negated by the 47.5 yard and above need for absolute accuracy when rangefinding. 2 yds out at 50 + and it’s a defo dink. They drop like rocks.

Only way to tell is to try em . My range finding is OK but not spot on . i depend on a high mount to sort out the long uns . so they may not work for me . will let the lads at the club try em . who knows perhaps dan really does know what he is doing ??? HOLLY

I think 710 is too close to the BFTA limit Stan . that only gives you 8 fps to play with . 700 will do me ??? HOLLY

They seem to like around 690-700, though I remember Mr Dibben going over the LabRadar at Springfield at 713....👍 

tried em to day and i have to say that through a well used barrel that day i put in several groups that were superb . only down side is the amount of clicks between 50- and 55 yards . far to many for me . but i can see the attraction ??? HOLLY