DTM

New Scope

well i can see that Mate . i have sent two back . and they were very good about it . ??? HOLLY 

I don't normally adopt early so I'm working on the (hope) that my last sightron was mega so this "should" be ok, I can work with the ret that so many hate and being fixed mag there's less to go wrong in them or effect performance... I "hope" 🙂 .

It snaps well and from my back garden checks is consistent so the 30 day scope out is good but I don't think 30 days will even test the scope, any scope only one winter and summer will surely give a sensible idea?

Either way best or worst grand I've spent haha 

get in the woods , nice dark target . test one . in the open bright yellow target / white target . try ranging on the string end . cracks in the paint . pellet marks . rust on the stand / bolts / nuts . tree bark . repeat each range finding three times . come in slow / fast . backwards forwards . how many of these repeated the range . you should be able to that in a weekend or a long day . all right that is not in the very hot or cold conditions . but it will give you a good idea . whether to keep or send it back .??? HOLLY

PS i fancy a 80 mag . that should compensate for my older eyes . EG brighter .

20 hours ago, GaryB said:

I don't normally adopt early so I'm working on the (hope) that my last sightron was mega so this "should" be ok, I can work with the ret that so many hate and being fixed mag there's less to go wrong in them or effect performance... I "hope" 🙂 .

It snaps well and from my back garden checks is consistent so the 30 day scope out is good but I don't think 30 days will even test the scope, any scope only one winter and summer will surely give a sensible idea?

Either way best or worst grand I've spent haha 

To accelerate the process set it up at the current temperature then seal in a plastic bag and stick in the fridge (or freezer) to get it cold and then test again and let it get back up to temp testing it as you go.

This will give you any advance warning of any bad vices in the cold. If it's like most modern scopes it will shift around the 6º mark and either range long or short, the question being by how much.

Well i spent some time with the scope today, i’m mixed emotions.  So it snaps like a snappy thing so much so that I can imagine in the depths of winter with cold hands it might take a few attempts to get the range.  Its clear, bright and beautiful in the optics.  However.  I’ve set this up once, I need to play but on a 4” wheel all my ranges are coming in within 60mm

of wheel!  This is 100% fine as it repeats AMAZINGLY.  But, this with the very snappy nature its a scope for good eyes and your discipline needs to be better than your shooting.   To coin a phrase its no plinkers scope.  Temp shift will be a lot to learn I think, might need a wiz bang duel pointer thinggy. 

Ref Moa and turns.  15 yards to 55 are all on one turn - ace.  10 is 2 turns and half, 12.5 is 1 and half.  I need to do all yards sub 15 whith this many clicks of adjustment, i just didn’t have time today.

i think the relationship will be long but not without its issues however I’m that confident my Leup has a buyer... worst case if it all goes belly up I’ll 0% a March lol.

My mate clarky had a what he described as the worlds most snappy scope ? ( lupe )  and it was really snappy . BUT ( always a but ) when the temp changed and the light changed . it snapped in somewhere else . he was gutted ??? HOLLY 

• Like 1

Gary how high is your scope?

8 minutes ago, DTM said:

Gary how high is your scope?

Umm not sure but its sat on high mounts, 30mm rail on LG110. 

hmm about 70mm then. Just wonderiing if you change scope hieght could you get everything in one turn?

Edited by DTM

Just home and measured , 70mm.  I have a longer cheek piece on its way so can then add my riser blocks too and test, but, I am pretty sure it won’t go on a turn and if it did it would be so high I sacrifice comfort and position.  Nice to have something to tinker with though..

Can you not use the bottom of the Ret in the scope , instead of dialing around . that is what i do with the march . works OK ??? HOLLY

15 hours ago, GaryB said:

Well i spent some time with the scope today, i’m mixed emotions.  So it snaps like a snappy thing so much so that I can imagine in the depths of winter with cold hands it might take a few attempts to get the range.  Its clear, bright and beautiful in the optics.  However.  I’ve set this up once, I need to play but on a 4” wheel all my ranges are coming in within 60mm

of wheel!  This is 100% fine as it repeats AMAZINGLY.  But, this with the very snappy nature its a scope for good eyes and your discipline needs to be better than your shooting.   To coin a phrase its no plinkers scope.  Temp shift will be a lot to learn I think, might need a wiz bang duel pointer thinggy. 

Ref Moa and turns.  15 yards to 55 are all on one turn - ace.  10 is 2 turns and half, 12.5 is 1 and half.  I need to do all yards sub 15 whith this many clicks of adjustment, i just didn’t have time today.

i think the relationship will be long but not without its issues however I’m that confident my Leup has a buyer... worst case if it all goes belly up I’ll 0% a March lol.

Early days mate, the main things are it's snappy and repeatable, everything else can be worked around.

Get yourself a Maestro adjustable pointer as it sounds like you will need it.

Sounds very leup-like in it's ranging which can only be good. In which case you adopt the leup-snatch technique i.e. you come upto the target quickly and leave it. Trying to rock backwards and forwards will only confuse you.

Just come up and stop, no twiddling, that's the range.

A thought, have you properly set up the eye-piece against the sky and have you tested this by focussing on something and then done a head-bob to make sure the reticle doesn't move?

Pity it doesn't have a mil-hash as you'd be able to use the lowest hash for 10 yards without dialling from zero (probably).

Dont listen to him Gary ----- hes a weirdo.

54 minutes ago, Jon said:

"Don't tell him Pike!"

7 hours ago, Jon said:

true Jon . Colin is a bit strange ??? HOLLY

7 hours ago, Jon said:

Posted at same time, that was for you Holls.

We luv you really

255735_529766987085845_917976859_n.jpg

now that is a happy Dog . reminds me of my old cross bred alsation , rottweiler . i was walking him on the lead one night . i thought he is behaving himself for once . looked down at him and he had a whole cooked chicken in his mouth ? where for goodness sake he got that , i don't know ??? HOLLY

Shot the Bisley 30 target comp today.  5 degrees  when arrived, scope moved 2 yards max, repeated great and went back to norm at 10 degrees.  Clear, crisp, march users and old hats alike thought it was great (if you like fixed 45 and target dot).

scope is100% a keeper.  Anyone wana buy a prem ret Leup ?!? 

Don't be in too much of a rush gary . my old Comp X used to go out 8 yards when it got cold . and leups don't make the dosh they used too ??? HOLLY

23 hours ago, GaryB said:

Shot the Bisley 30 target comp today.  5 degrees  when arrived, scope moved 2 yards max, repeated great and went back to norm at 10 degrees.  Clear, crisp, march users and old hats alike thought it was great (if you like fixed 45 and target dot).

scope is100% a keeper.  Anyone wana buy a prem ret Leup ?!? 

Good to hear the new scope works for you.

As Holly says don't be in a rush to out the Leup just yet unless you need the dosh, they've stopped making the x35/x40 flavours.

I think I will wait for the new Falcon. That should be a good scope and should have a decent reticle 😄

Be a first if it is . yes they are better than the hawk . but really not a lot better .??? HOLLY

I can show you one Dave if your up this way shortly, just called the X50 so far, may change when released.

I hope many will be suprised by it. Me included :)

I am on Falcons waiting list for the new one 😄

From what i have seen of scopes of late . i would not buy one that i could not send back if it was not up to scratch . what a lot of them do is produce good quality ones to start with . then after a hundred or so . they let the quality control slip and you get a pile of pooh ??? HOLLY

13 hours ago, holly said:

From what i have seen of scopes of late . i would not buy one that i could not send back if it was not up to scratch . what a lot of them do is produce good quality ones to start with . then after a hundred or so . they let the quality control slip and you get a pile of pooh ??? HOLLY

Hate to break it to you but manufacturers have been doing that since day one, it’s called ‘streamlining’ or in common parlance, making more profit out of the great unwashed.

Try before buy , don't cry ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Try before buy , don't cry ??? HOLLY

Yea except with scopes you need a bit of time to realise they're actually rubbish and by then it's too late.

I hate to think of the amount of money I've wasted on duff scopes over the years.