DTM

New Scope

Give me an hour and i can tell whether it usuable or not . even then if i don't think i can sell it at around the price i bought it for . then it is a no no . ??? HOLLY

On 10/4/2018 at 2:16 PM, holly said:

Give me an hour and i can tell whether it usuable or not . even then if i don't think i can sell it at around the price i bought it for . then it is a no no . ??? HOLLY

Problem is that until you set it up properly and use under a few differing conditions you can't tell much.

Yes you can tell if it's 'good' but that might be at that temperature and under those lighting conditions.

I reckon you need to give yourself a few days as some scopes are growers and some hoe-ers it's just a question of weeding them out....:grin:

Which is why i say . it is hard to beat a good 20+50 lupe ??? HOLLY

Mmm if you have a couple of years to learn it.

Rubbish Jon . you can get the basics on a 20+50 over the winter league easily . when you consider a FT learning phase should be around the three year mark . that is nothing ??? HOLLY

Basics aint good enough was going to sell it after 18 months.
That was a good one especially for me, in fact the very last scope Dick Thomas ever did June 2005. It only really started clicking in 2007 after learning its traits, some of which were a no go lump it. Did me alright in 2008 won the GP A series finished just behind you, starting botton of A and won MFTA Masters 2009 in pure style 2 shots clear of joint 2nd.

I have enjoyed all my lupes . from the 6.5 to 20 right up to the 20 =50 s . for the money there is nothing to touch em . what are you gonna get for £600 nowadays ??? HOLLY

PS Let me see . what have i had . 6.5 to 20 . 14=35 , 18=40 MK4 , comp X 35 mag . comp X 40 and 20=50 . nice .:Spike

On 10/6/2018 at 11:12 PM, holly said:

I have enjoyed all my lupes . from the 6.5 to 20 right up to the 20 =50 s . for the money there is nothing to touch em . what are you gonna get for £600 nowadays ??? HOLLY

PS Let me see . what have i had . 6.5 to 20 . 14=35 , 18=40 MK4 , comp X 35 mag . comp X 40 and 20=50 . nice .:Spike

I must say I agree with you.

Even though the March's, Kahles, Nikkos & Sightrons are ok, there's nothing to beat that crisp resolution, & huge, warm welcoming image that you get from Leupold glass.

Loved them ever since looking through my first EFR back in '91.

Which 40 mag Mark 4 was that, seen both and used Matts better one for a couple of months.

I do like the overall image of the Comp Series, EFR, Vari x 3, VX3 and genuine Mark 4's. In fact the Premier Ret Mark 4 i had was my preference to judge all other scopes against.

Did have a butchers last year in wales at the big Leup and could tell straight away like the Vari x 3, VX3 and Mark 4 it dont like blue light.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:43 PM, Jon said:

Which 40 mag Mark 4 was that, seen both and used Matts better one for a couple of months.

I do like the overall image of the Comp Series, EFR, Vari x 3, VX3 and genuine Mark 4's. In fact the Premier Ret Mark 4 i had was my preference to judge all other scopes against.

Did have a butchers last year in wales at the big Leup and could tell straight away like the Vari x 3, VX3 and Mark 4 it dont like blue light.

You mean that ’new’ Leupold that they’d already tried (and failed) selling in the US for $2k so decided to relaunch it in the UK at £2800?

Thank god for t’internet, stops this sort of rubbish right in it’s tracks.

I had a good gander at that scope and it was ok, nothing stellar and as you say markedly blue. It was at least a grand over-priced but hey we’re not called treasure island for nothing...👍

I forgot to put a comma between 18=40 and MK4 Jon . i did look through nicks 40 mag . and was dammed if i could see anything out of it ??? HOLLY

Nicks was bad, could have used at the time since i was used to Tascos.

Looking through was like the Dragon rets on a film negative, Matts is really a good scope and rare.

Which 18-40 there were various to 2005.

EFR no one liked to use.

Vari X 3 front focus 25 and 30mm tube!

Vari X 3 side focus from 1997

VX3 side focus from Jan 2004 till June 2005 only know of 5 that existed + 2 done under his son Feb 2006 will have standard ret.

Vari X 111 front focus of which i had 4 i think . only one was any good . graham has that one on his SR . silver . ??? HOLLY 

Biggest mistake you all made was not playing around with the actual scope. All are/were and performed differently and only the users could set it up. If didnt setup you were using it half cocked.

I just never really got on with it Jon . i never got any good results till i got my MK 4 . different league . ??? HOLLY

Have to play around with the scope and see what makes it tick. Some perform better set towards infinity, others perform better the lower you can keep it like my old PR VX3 and PR Mark 4 35 both set to 58 yards. Bit of practice you can range accurately 62 yards.

Point is without doing it your in no mans land and pot luck.

From the ones seen where Leupold set to 75 yards they turn out to be more like 150/175 yards.

Nah the downer was no side wheel .??? HOLLY

Still adjustable but no one ever did.

I remember when the EFR came out Jon . i was quite keen until i was told that they came with a note saying that you could expect a ten percent variation before you even started  . whoops ??? HOLLY

On 10/14/2018 at 11:46 PM, holly said:

I remember when the EFR came out Jon . i was quite keen until i was told that they came with a note saying that you could expect a ten percent variation before you even started  . whoops ??? HOLLY

10%, thaqt's good?

Cold it was a sweet as a nut, get it hot and you could only reliably range to 40yds then it just free focussed so could be any range.

Beautiful image though.

The best one i had belonged to northern Bob ( not a EFR )  . it was by far the best one ??? HOLLY

3 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

I think all the EFR’s were as bad as each other.

I’m borrowing one on Sunday for a try out.........

Just now, Barry said:

I’m borrowing one on Sunday for a try out.........

Lovely image quality, beautiful warm colours and great if you don't need to range anything above 45yds so pretty much perfect for bunny bashing.

7 minutes ago, Eaton Rifles said:

great if you don't need to range anything above 45yds

Hmmmmm.

Thats my difficulty. Only .2mrad between each of 45, 50 and 55 yards 🙄

You have been listening to Nat's . a 18=40 lover if i ever saw one . ??? HOLLY