DTM

New Scope

8 minutes ago, holly said:

You will regret it . cos then you are gonna want one ??? HOLLY

I doubt it, but if I do I'll get you to buy one first then get it off you when you get bored with it after a week....:grin:

You never get bored with a good scope . you lust after one maybe that is out of reach . today i was shooting  one of the lads rifles with a Mk111 nikko on top  . on going back to the march it was like chalk and cheese . despite me thinking that mine is darkish . . i mostly use mine to shoot on 20 . now that is superb . would be nice to have a illum ret though . like i say . looking through grandads will be expensive . you will get a pain in the wallet ??? HOLLY

18 hours ago, holly said:

You never get bored with a good scope . you lust after one maybe that is out of reach . today i was shooting  one of the lads rifles with a Mk111 nikko on top  . on going back to the march it was like chalk and cheese . despite me thinking that mine is darkish . . i mostly use mine to shoot on 20 . now that is superb . would be nice to have a illum ret though . like i say . looking through grandads will be expensive . you will get a pain in the wallet ??? HOLLY

Always been a scope man and I've owned some nice models over the years, but I always get drawn back to a nice Leupold.

Best image I've ever seen for sheer clarity and vibrance was a Hensoldt I had for a while, second was Pete Stickings Hi-Master before it was sent back.

Best scope I ever looked through from a clarity point of view was something called a Hertel & Reuss or something like that?

oh and I use a March 80x 

Edited by Darron

Had a go of Wardy's new Comp x40 with the TMR reticle Sunday, a very nice scope indeed.

1 hour ago, Eaton Rifles said:

Had a go of Wardy's new Comp x40 with the TMR reticle Sunday, a very nice scope indeed.

Wots its drop rating?? Hip height or just cushion?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, dc1 said:

Wots its drop rating?? Hip height or just cushion?

Ahhhhhhh nasty....:rolleyes:

Well considering that allegedly Dan looked at the rifle and it jumped off the bag I'd leave that one right there...:grin:

well ive got a S&B FT mk1 coming so that should be game for a laugh :)

2 hours ago, DTM said:

Need a pointer dan think this will be just the job https://www.chrisandsons.co.uk/eldos-afro-wooden-comb-hcb022.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JXiBRCpARIsAGqF8wWrUcwBmQIyb23Q5MgwYPI0UE-H3lb4prlsMQ7rzIvHXwbXxwBvWYYaAobHEALw_wcB

15 hours ago, DTM said:

I'd get onto Maestro as you're going to need one of his 5 pointer scope indicators....:grin:

got the S&B. This pos is going back :(

1 hour ago, DTM said:

got the S&B. This pos is going back :(

Hahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhahaha...🤣

At least give it an hour and a half so you can really see how -rubbish- it is...😉

Anyone using the sightron 45x45for FT yet?

2 hours ago, DTM said:

Anyone using the sightron 45x45for FT yet?

NeilMac tested one and found it very good but Iultimately I think he preferred his Comp. scopes which are also fixed mag.

I tried a comp but it was 35mag. I found between 50-55 was too much hard work so gave up on it. Cant get a 45 or 40 for ♥ nor £ :(

Edited by DTM

Just now, DTM said:

I tried a comp but it was 35mag. I found between 50-55 was too much hard work so gave up on it. Cant get a 45 or 40 for ♥ nor £ :(

I've had all three flavours over the years and keep coming back to the x40 as the best all-rounder for ranging consistency, brightness and view around the target.

The x45 ranged 'slightly' better but was considerably darker and in the one I had it had a fine reticle with target dot so in dappled woodland was a nightmare.

My current x40 is quite special in that it has the fabled no.27 reticle and is parallax corrected to give me 9.5 - 75yds with no adapter.

If you do see one up for sale snap it up as they are becoming rarer.

only ones i see come up are the 35's others seem to be sold via word of mouth which is a pain. Ive seen 36 mag scopes but am not willing to take a chance on them

Edited by DTM

On 2/8/2019 at 12:10 PM, DTM said:

only ones i see come up are the 35's others seem to be sold via word of mouth which is a pain. Ive seen 36 mag scopes but am not willing to take a chance on them

The x40’s do pop up every now and then, but as you say most get sold within clubs or regions and tend to go as soon as.

Maybe post up on a few ‘wanted’ sections and see what response you get?

it took me a year of waiting and asking the right people then 3 cane up all within a shot space of time so I bought them all.  I’m sure most good Leupolds hide in Wales, thats where my hint started and finished

• Haha 1

Oh and after all that I sold them all and now have the x45 sightron which is amazing!  

12 hours ago, GaryB said:

Oh and after all that I sold them all and now have the x45 sightron which is amazing!  

The funny thing is that the Sightron is supposedly a copy of the Competition scope.

might pick up one with a discount at the show :)

@GaryB is it usable for BR and FT or just BR as the reticle is very thin? 

14 hours ago, DTM said:

might pick up one with a discount at the show :)

@GaryB is it usable for BR and FT or just BR as the reticle is very thin? 

Neil mentioned that the reticle was slightly thicker than the Leupold one, so it just depends on your eyes.

Over the years I have had nearly every scope deemed good for FT , big Nikkos , pm11 s , comp series , 20 -50 , big bsa , Sightron ,March 10-60 , in my opinion by far the best rangefinders are the S&B , the PM11 are slightly better than the FT and move a bit less , but hey they all move , used some good 8-80 March and used ones that were terrible same with 10-60 March ,mine was a dog , moved nearly as much as the S&B and iffy Optics ,hated it but a pal has a good one I could use, just , I have had 3 Pm11s and used plenty each one is the same as the other as with the FT  really consistant in optics and build quality ,yes they move further than some people go on holiday but when you learn them they are the best of the super scopes IMO .The PM11 snaps better than Nikkos and have great glass , I have looked through a couple if Khales and the seem to differ but never had one to adjust to my eyes so won't comment further , again looked through other people's Delta and whilst they seem good have not played long enough to comment , I now use a S&B FT and know what it does , learn them and they are as good if not better than anything out there in my opinion , despite the jokes regarding the pointers  spend the time and be methodical setting it up and it will reward you , you cannot have an opinion on one on a short time bit like an old 20-50 you are learning all the time , if you wat a bolt on and shoot just buy a Nikko but difficult to look through after using better glass 😀

PS 

a good comp series would come next but hate fixed mag so not an option for me 

Fixed power scopes are fine, in truth they're my favourites as they tend to be both brighter and lighter than comparable scopes.

The problem comes with people who get anxious about 'losing' the target and getting timed out.

I would say that if you're not pulling the rifle up directly on the target then your position is wrong, so move until it is.

• Thanks 1

Never lost targets with comp series, just did not like shooting on high mag , suits some not others , I would like to think my technique is OK after all these years 😉

Ive noticed the sightron is in my opinion a tiny bit clearer than the Leups ive had.  The big benefit for me (might not be for others) is that all ranges on a 4” side wheel are in around 2” of wheel space!  This would be rubbish if it was a poor range finder but it snaps in the normal good sightron way and its been set up in 17 degree temp and I’d say light not bright conditions and ive shot in 2 degree temp and mid 20’s and the shift is 2 yards below consistently outside of setting up conditions.  Obviously i may learn more as time goes on.  

ref the ret.  if you can’t work with a leup target dot you cant with this.  I love the ret but i will say you need good eyes for the long dark targets, nothing new there though.

• Thanks 1

I must admit I liked my Sightron SIII, had the infinity model so no silly topping out at 70yds.

I don't think I noticed any temperature shift over a couple of winters and summers, great rangefinder and very clear optics.

22 hours ago, CAC said:

Over the years I have had nearly every scope deemed good for FT , big Nikkos , pm11 s , comp series , 20 -50 , big bsa , Sightron ,March 10-60 , in my opinion by far the best rangefinders are the S&B , the PM11 are slightly better than the FT and move a bit less , but hey they all move , used some good 8-80 March and used ones that were terrible same with 10-60 March ,mine was a dog , moved nearly as much as the S&B and iffy Optics ,hated it but a pal has a good one I could use, just , I have had 3 Pm11s and used plenty each one is the same as the other as with the FT  really consistant in optics and build quality ,yes they move further than some people go on holiday but when you learn them they are the best of the super scopes IMO .The PM11 snaps better than Nikkos and have great glass , I have looked through a couple if Khales and the seem to differ but never had one to adjust to my eyes so won't comment further , again looked through other people's Delta and whilst they seem good have not played long enough to comment , I now use a S&B FT and know what it does , learn them and they are as good if not better than anything out there in my opinion , despite the jokes regarding the pointers  spend the time and be methodical setting it up and it will reward you , you cannot have an opinion on one on a short time bit like an old 20-50 you are learning all the time , if you wat a bolt on and shoot just buy a Nikko but difficult to look through after using better glass 😀

PS 

a good comp series would come next but hate fixed mag so not an option for me 

Forgot to add probably the most underrated scope I used , and the only one I never really saw move in temp and at £200 the cheapest , a Deben 10-50 , superb for the money and used until the turrets checked out, that was a blow , upsides and downsides to them was not the greatest optics ( when in direct comparison to good glass) and variable in quality control , 2 different lens coatings green / blue  one was better , think green , but memory may be playing tricks. At the money best entry level scope by a mile.