Sign in to follow this  
AndyIoW

Day off work, so that means tinkering time.

I had a day booked off today and so knowing I would be the only one at the club I knew I could get some work done.

Now course building is something I really enjoy doing, trying to catch out those that will be attending, not by putting loads of long targets (makes for a boring course) but using the ground as best we can. Using the terrain, trees and shrubs that can move and switch the wind direction whilst also making it interesting but not a chore.

So I did some tinkering yesterday after Holly had headed home, and today I did some more.

One of my bug bears which is crossing strings, nothing worse than seeing the orange string going up and down across the kill of the target aiming at.

Still got a couple that cross but they can be kept out of the way.

So I moved about 6 targets into some new positions yesterday and today, and a dozen taken down ready for Winter League cleaning and servicing, 

Also moved couple of the longer targets as from our trials we had 11 over 50yds which is to many.

Now I have now doubt that Holly will make his opinion know when I see him again on Sunday. 

There are quite a few leaves now dropping off the trees so of the moved ones might get affected by it or not.

Only problem is I have now sat down, the muscles in my legs have decided that 2 days of work they are now going to do any more.

I think a nice real ale is in order.

I shall most certainly let andy know on wednesday my Thoughts ??? HOLLY 

PS hope that is diet real ale ?

Nope Holly, the full fat version. Need all the vitamins and minerals as it was rather warm out there today.

There are quite a few targets still to put out, you will need to keep an eye on the strings.

Its mainly on the right side as you go in that I have tweaked for the moment. Your long stander has a target on it as well.

ahh yes the 55 yard stander ? mere Bagatell to us top shots ??? HOLLY 

PS Good work Andy . you may have two sips of real ale .

It's ladder time Sunday to remove the few up the trees and replace them with serviced ones.

Dropping some more round to Melv tonight which might come back Sunday to get put out again. Also take down another half dozen for servicing.

well we certainly have the ladder for the job ??? HOLLY

Yes but limited by tree swing. Can not have moving targets. Besides had a thought this afternoon and will put into action on Sunday.

well that makes a change ? Andy normally thinks of . Work , real ale and the Italian restaurant at Carisbrooke . in that order ??? HOLLY

On 9/18/2018 at 5:50 PM, AndyIoW said:

Yes but limited by tree swing. Can not have moving targets. Besides had a thought this afternoon and will put into action on Sunday.

Thought having a target on top of a swinging sapling was all part of the fun at Carrisbroke...:rolleyes:

Nope Bisley is king when it comes to moving targets . ambush em . personally i love em . back forwards , back forwards . become mesmeric after a while . like listening to colins excuses for missing ??? HOLLY

12 hours ago, holly said:

like listening to colins excuses for missing ??? HOLLY

Learnt from the master himself...😉

Sneaking a day off yesterday I could see even the larger trunks moving about a foot. It's luck when they move and not really 'cricket' as they say. 

He got a shock Weds when he came across on of the newly placed 15mm targets. Got a few more ideas to try Sunday weather permitting.

We let Holly loose on his new standing lane yesterday and he manages to clear the undergrowth to the wrong gate. Then once correct, unwound the string to the wrong gate.

After he left I corrected it and added it partner. 1 lane with its newly positioned target is being changed from a sitter to a kneeling one. So over the next few weeks the final positions are being decided on. 

The mk1 eyeball ranging I think is giving just under 40yd course average. Just wish the brambles would die back.

Yep the temp course we use before we put out the main course had a couple of dodgy 15 mils . one of em in a wind was -covered in gore- hard to get .and illegal . too far up a tree .  personally i like a target that moves a bit . bit of ambushing . adds to the challenge . should be interesting when bazza gets back . he has his ideas . andy has his ideas . might end up with two courses . and hats off to old melv on the brush cutter . took him nearly an hour to cut that lane through the brambles . that is really wicked stuff . you always come out bleeding . when you think of it . there are two old geezers over 70 and andy who is no ballerina to do the work . ( excused chairs )  i think i need a compass and a boat when cutting brush in the swamp ??? HOLLY

Yep the rules on 15's are a pain and really limit things in my opinion. They don't need to be crazy but at the moment they're severely restricted and given their max range and the rules about targets closer than 20yds being perpendicular to the line they don't leave many options.

Looking forward to round 1... :)

We had a 15 mil up a tree last year . a lot of people missed it ( including me ) i would have sworn there was no wind on it . well there was . simon the pie man missed it and went back afterwards to shoot it again . cos he would not believe there was any wind present . now those are the targets you remember ??? HOLLY

With all the wind I am wondering if there may be unplanned changes needed due to tree movements. 

Anyway ladders and trees this weekend hopefully and the hillside will be persuaded to do what I ant it to do. 

Might even remember to get a teaser picture or two.

I am excused ladders Andy ??? HOLLY

11 hours ago, holly said:

I am excused ladders Andy ??? HOLLY

You’re far better off being used as the immovable lump hanging onto the ladder base anyways....😉

I suspect anybody foolish enough to climb a ladder sunday . may not be on it long ??? HOLLY