I never miss a stander ??? HOLLY:thefinger:

Be interesting t see what Holly thinks on Weds.

From todays walkabout he believes that I have made it too hard, good for the big boys but the lower grades might struggle. 

However, I begged to differ as its a visual thing. Yes there does 'seem' to be loads of long targets but going by my eyeball I think there is only about 7-8 over 50yds but the rest have been placed to catch the wind.

It has the makings of a good course but not an easy one . there are some bitch shots in there . a lot depends on the wind on the day and of course how many leaves come off the trees between now and the comp . i say to any one coming . better bring your top game . cos this is no course for mugs ??? HOLLY

PS Andy has got a long ladder and he has been using it .:Spike

Edited by holly

On 26 September 2018 at 4:44 PM, holly said:

I believe i shall start a blog ? the Memoirs of an FT  God . i dropped two on the course today . oh yes . Stand Clear . I am Coming Throughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

??? HOLLY

hope you cleared it up holly

9 hours ago, holly said:

PS Andy has got a long ladder and he has been using it .:Spike

Sorry I never used the 'long' ladder yesterday. Only 9 higher targets i know off and some of those bring them up to gate high positions. 

It might use it next weekend?

In that case he has very long arms ??? HOLLY

You are my hero Holly........

A hero with feet of clay simon ??? HOLLY 

PS will do a test fire wednesday . Ohwerrrr Mother .

23 hours ago, AndyIoW said:

lower grades might struggle. 

However, I begged to differ as its a visual thing. Yes there does 'seem' to be loads of long targets but going by my eyeball I think there is only about 7-8 over 50yds but the rest have been placed to catch the wind.

If its a competition you have to sort the men from the boys not just hand out targets no one can miss where the average C graders score is not that much different to the winning AA score decided upon disciplines -rubbish-.

Major reason FT dont exist in this region any more, 7-9 sounds about right over 50 yards on a 40 shot and where they will catch the wind not avoid it.

So take out the disciplines 8 targets that leaves 24 for less than 50 yards.

5 or 6 small kills leaves 18.

5 or 6 47 to 50 yards leaves 12+

5 or 6 45 to 47 leaves 6+

Remainder below 45 even in to gimmee territory 40 yards. This is what the local clubs been doing for over 2 years all under 45 yards totally pointless and they think theyre good.

To give you some idea how ridiculous sub 45 yards is, in HFT they shoot up to 35mm kills on low mag, no ranging. Anyone should be able to visually guess within +/- 2 yards at 40 and thats only 20mm drop off aim point top of the kill, yet hft smaller targets would land lowish in that 35mm kill.

Also get the wind factor further out you go, not uncommon to pick up pellet well off the plate (1 1/2 kills off edge of kill) around 50 yards, last 5 yards see it veer wildly in - thats the skill thats been raped out of FT last 10 years.

Aside from that clubs or governing bodies should be making best use of available land and putting some thought in. For all i care land could be on a cricket pitch, as long as the courses are changed around weekly, not just altering some ranges - boredom sets in and massive reason amongst others why there was 19 out of our top 30/33 who didnt attend more than 3 shoots in last years winter league! Mentioned that and post was deleted, they dont like the truth.

If you are running an open comp Jon . then it is what it is , same for all . but the winter league is for all from that region . now say there are 40 competitors . 5 of those are probably really good shots . who are trying to win the series and keep there competition eye in for the GPs . that leaves 35 average shots . a hard 40 target course means scores for them in the middle twenties . which is probably right for this course as it stands . last year one was dropped as top score by woody . ( not much in the way of wind ) . if this course stands it will be interesting to see the scores  . as Andy says . it is not the distance in our wood that makes the course hard but where they are placed . there is one particular tree at the top of the course . where if you place a target . the wind defy's logic . any way the proof of the pudding is in the eating . me i am looking forward to it . even if i do not get a decent score . ??? HOLLY

Jon our ground is quite limited in size that we can use. About 25% is very boggy and difficult to get to. 

We use what we can and every year the course is different. We used some of the line planned for this year 2 years ago but it has been extended at one end. Areas that you think are sheltered sometimes are not because trees have fallen and open the area up.

Our zero range can have nothing up to 50yds then it moves or the indications show a l-r wind and it goes further left. Low targets take very little but get over 2ft up and it is very changeable.

Last year we had a 15mm at 24yds, a very light breeze ( forecast and the day before had been 10-15mph) but very little movement of the string yet you needed to give about 5-10mm left to knock it down. It was one that Simon Evans dropped as a visitor for the weekend.

Spot on its finally great to see someone at last taking some initiative.

Not about the length or ranges of the targets, it should be about making best use of available land.

If the mid people were scoring around 50% up here B to A they wouldnt attend again to walking off the course. Never a problem till lately despite others moaning, its what FT has become.

Moring session always over flowing for decades because they want the best of the weather. Not everyone has to get away some of these AM are there till the end! If they cant get in AM with max limit reached they wont turn up knowing they will be out of the running hence the moaning last year. Region bent the rules to allow rows of feed on lanes allowing more than 40 on at the same time, not to mention what the clubs voted on to use of clocks rapidly pulled at first W/L without the members say so and another personal decision. Your then left with 8 - 20 in the afternoon. Thats what your dealing with.

At the local club we dont have wind like we used to even 6 years ago, its sheltered.

Have a video some where of a W/L only a couple of years ish ago shot in a gail 60mph+. Shoots are now called off expecting 20mph 2 days prior, another nail in the coffin.

At least with HFT they relish proper wind like we used to up to 10 years ago, how things change.

an average wind here is 20 to 30 mph . not much of a problem in the summer . but in the real winter . it can get difficult , when there are no leaves on the trees .  but it does harden you up . you just have to suck up multiple misses and get on with it . ??? HOLLY

The wind was whistling through Springfield on Sunday like a knife through butter, Wardy's nerve was going a bit shooting but as I said to him you don't learn jack if there's no wind to spice things up a bit.

I was using my second windage dot for most targets (equates to edge of plate) even the sub 40yds it was blowing that hard. It did calm down a bit nearer to lunchtime but I was happy to only drop 5/40, one of them a stander the rest off the bag. First time I've seen the JSB expresses really move significantly in the wind, but they're very predictable.

The winter league will tell ??? HOLLY

Well course was inspected and few of the targets i thought might not be up to it . were found to be pretty good . there are at the mo i think 6 difficult targets in any sort of a wind . there are more than that , that look reasonable but can easily bite your bum .. so a few more to put out and you have the makings of a very good course . obviously you cannot control the weather . as it was ,i would say on a day like today . it is clearable by a very good shot ??? HOLLY

PS That is you out then Colin . errr ohh and me too .:Spike

10 hours ago, holly said:

Well course was inspected and few of the targets i thought might not be up to it . were found to be pretty good . there are at the mo i think 6 difficult targets in any sort of a wind . there are more than that , that look reasonable but can easily bite your bum .. so a few more to put out and you have the makings of a very good course . obviously you cannot control the weather . as it was ,i would say on a day like today . it is clearable by a very good shot ??? HOLLY

PS That is you out then Colin . errr ohh and me too .:Spike

Let’s hope the lads think so when you have your Winter League fixture there...👍

Don't worry about them colin . if i like it . they will like it .  we are birds of a feather ??? HOLLY

On 10/4/2018 at 9:23 AM, holly said:

Don't worry about them colin . if i like it . they will like it .  we are birds of a feather ??? HOLLY

In which case it's all about the cake available, not the course...:rolleyes:

Andy lays on tea and biscuits in the middle of the course . so yes you can have your cake and eat it ??? HOLLY

Think i am gonna have some real ale and drink it.

Andy what you reckon, Skinners, Ludlow Gold and Abbotts should go down well, they can stick the IPA.

in your case Jon , Red Barrel should be the tipple of choice ??? HOLLY

Abbots would be nice, not tried any of the others.

Had some Swannay Dark Munro Ale last week and was nice A dark Amber ale just about see through it when held up to the light.

Off the classic Buses and Beer Festival next Saturday, so not sure what time I will be there Sunday lol.

Its a good job we have now decided on the targets to use in 2 weeks times. Hoping for a dry day but slightly more wind than the last few days.

Course is clearable . by a good man on the right day ??? HOLLY

14 minutes ago, holly said:

Course is clearable . by a good man on the right day ??? HOLLY

Isnt every course?

Not if the wind comes up Dave . no it is not ??? HOLLY

13 hours ago, holly said:

Not if the wind comes up Dave . no it is not ??? HOLLY

Depends on the wind...:grin:

The IOW wind will sort anybody Col. including Jon ??? HOLLY

5 hours ago, holly said:

The IOW wind will sort anybody Col. including Jon ??? HOLLY

You never know it might even make Jon nostalgic for when wind was wind and having a testing course was as about making it to the end on all fours as trees uprooted never to be seen again as actually putting any targets down.

Ahhh the good old days when Hols had hair and teeth....:rolleyes:

Any course would sort me out, aint shot since around May 2016 due to the clubs dismal boring plinking courses.

Saying that did borrow a Steyr for HFT, quick run through the holders above 25 yards and on to their superb FT course. Couldnt see 7 way over the 210mm rule so took 5 extra standing. 27 won it only 3 more than me doing it HFT and only shot it once before and they think theyre good.

How things can get changed out of all proportion in no time by the clique. Still got a video from 2 years ago shot in a gail. Its only a matter of time the pussys will be doing FT indoors in climate controlled conditions.