Sign in to follow this  
holly

Central winter league , round one . Carisbrooke .

No it is a slight S shape / i don't know how they navigate in the fog . as the radar image must be so close together . perhaps by depth ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

No it is a slight S shape / i don't know how they navigate in the fog . as the radar image must be so close together . perhaps by depth ??? HOLLY

You would think they'd have a small boy in the crows nest to look out for things like yachts especially as they probably shift around a bit depending on the tide.

46 minutes ago, Eaton Rifles said:

You would think they'd have a small boy in the crows nest to look out for things like yachts especially as they probably shift around a bit depending on the tide.

Crows nest was probably above fog.

Really should have asked Holly to talk at end of jetty.

45 minutes ago, AndyIoW said:

Crows nest was probably above fog.

Really should have asked Holly to talk at end of jetty.

I knew there was something missing, Holly could have easily talked them in...:grin:

I think it's about time the Red Pirates stopped giving out the rum ration as soon as they get in Rock Territorial waters, that would help.

Talking of pirates there was a guy talking on the radio yesterday who lives on the Island and was going on about the cost of the ferry, lack of competition etc, and ended up demanding a tunnel to the Rock.

I had to laugh....:rolleyes:

Tunnels have been mooted BUT that would mean all those essex Oiks coming over . can't have that can we ??? HOLLY

5 hours ago, Eaton Rifles said:

When you look at the google map image Rob posted it look like the ferry has to thread it's way through a mass of moorings to get to it's destination. Surely that's a bit flawed?

To be fair, didnt the Royal Navy "bump" into a bit of Australia a few years back?

24 minutes ago, dc1 said:

To be fair, didnt the Royal Navy "bump" into a bit of Australia a few years back?

I don't know about them hitting Aussie but certainly I remember the Navy pleb who thought he could turn his ship around in the Thames and ended up wedged against one of the bridges though all photos of the event seem to have disappeared on the net?

Could this be the new JFK conspiracy....:rolleyes:

...or maybe not.

The ship in question was HMS Jupiter and the ship's Captain was court-martialed for this as he apparently countermanded a pilot's advice, silly boy.

ims-scan-tele-01433282-f-1000x1000.jpg

Hms Nottingham 2002

3 minutes ago, dc1 said:

Hms Nottingham 2002

There you go, hit Wof Rock and ripped a 160' hole in the bottom.

The image below shows navy divers going down to see how bad the damage was.

539712177-612x612.jpg

That rock was the only rock for a thousand mile or so ??? HOLLY

18 hours ago, holly said:

That rock was the only rock for a thousand mile or so ??? HOLLY

Not quite but it was about 5 miles off the coast.

The Captain had just landed after attending a land jolly when it ran aground so the XO was in charge.

And now he is the cabin boy ??? HOLLY

22 hours ago, holly said:

And now he is the cabin boy ??? HOLLY

Apparently they decided that the 'Rock' was shown on the charts in the wrong place as they were using ones that were a century out of date.

just goes to show . a bit of fog can still sink em ??? HOLLY

Right, out today to have another go at the course, wind a lot stronger than last weekend.

Not all targets had strings as we had brought some in. So there was 34 targets. Clear for the first 9 targets, and first miss was on the Phoenix at 52yds, gave it outside edge as string blowing around needed none. Next miss was 6 targets later, a short kneelers jerked trigger missed low.

Moved to the lane that was the first in the comp. 55yd rat gave it outside edge went straight which was surprising. Got the next 2 missed the 43yd kneelers,  hit the plate which was better than last time.

Next miss was a 52yd one, gave about 1" outside kill and watched the pellet lane 4" out other side. Had another couple of shots at it and it moved anything from 0 to 2" -5" but strings seemed to be hardly moving.

Double dunked the next lane 35 25mm and a 49yd. Missed right on the 25mm and left on the long. Gave 2" outside edge landed about 1/4" outside left. Then cleared the next 3 lanes. Total missed 7 out of 32. 

Happy with most of shots apart from a couple. With the wind as strong as it was, surprised now little some targets took. More practice needed for North Oxon in two weeks time.

Interesting day . very windy but the strings were lying on some lanes . went around without my shooting jacket to start with . dropped 8 . some were without strings but most were up . dunno how many in all . i missed three out of those for wobble and one for cold fingers . went around in my shooting jackets and shot all the ones i had missed . strangely enough . they all without exception needed dead straight . but the strings were all blowing to one side or another . most peculiar . i actually checked zero to if it was off . it may be me but the rifle seems to take slightly less wind with a couple of hundred shots through it without cleaning . must investigate this . either way it is deadly accurate . all i need to do is suss the wind better .??? HOLLY

PS it is obvious that i need to use a shooting jacket . but i cannot get a lot of warm clothes under it . not to bad today . but how about when it gets below zero i wonder . might get a cheap shooting jacket for the winter . that is bigger to get my gear under it . will see how i go .

Even in the coldest outings I just wear a full sleeved thermal top with a hoody on top then the shooting jacket.

I deliberately bought a slightly larger size in the jacket to make this possible.

I am gonna try my old SEFTA Hoody wednesday with two vests . to see how that goes . if you get to cold you stop caring what you score ??? HOLLY

Just now, holly said:

I am gonna try my old SEFTA Hoody wednesday with two vests . to see how that goes . if you get to cold you stop caring what you score ??? HOLLY

Yep I hate the cold!

12 minutes ago, holly said:

Still better off with a single decent thermal top under the hoody.

Too many layers actually makes you colder especially if you then have trouble squeezing into your jacket as it's the trapped air that insulates you not the material.

Something like this would be perfect for you:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heatwave®-Thermal-Underwear-Baselayer-Thermals/dp/B01LZO0LAY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540812846&sr=8-3&keywords=thermal+top

Problem i find is none are long enough in the back, always ride up and youre forever tucking yourself back in. Kind of solved it with a "onsie" type thing, but you do have to make sure you are ,errr, empty before donning it😁. Number ones are ok but number 2s a different kettle of fish.

What i use to keep things as snug as poss is to buy the longest tea shirts i can find , tuck em into my pants and wear braces to keep the tracksters i wear pulled well up . i don't like wearing too much . or carrying gear with me like waterproof over trousers . so wednesday i will wear just the bottoms of my jahti jakt waterproofs  these are fabric . very good quality ( no longer sold i think )  warm and sit high over the hips .quite heavy so you need braces to keep em up unless you have good big hips .then the SEFTA hoody and the jacket over that . pooh before you go so to speak . that way i hope i will be warm and dryish . although at buccs last year  i think it would have come through  anything .??? HOLLY 

PS . i don't find themals work for me colin  . rather have layers .i rarely  do the jacket up as the bit i need is across the shoulders . 

PS Nats halfords do hand warmers , that last year worked great and lasted around eight hours . i think they were a quid . i don't suffer from cold hands . i wear gore tex fabric boots . so they are good  . old ( well old bazza ) cannot feel his fingers to load on a cold day . 

Edited by holly

Silk thermals.

Just now, robF said:

Edited by dc1

1 hour ago, robF said:

Silk thermals.

Can you recommend a particular brand Rob?

I would have thought that silk would get some stellar static shocks as well...:grin:

No don't like silk . i find it strikes cold . brushed cotton . same as they used in the old green army thermal long johns . can't seem to get those nowadays .  if i had knew they were letting you do open at the euros . i might have got some at the fair . ??? HOLLY

3 hours ago, holly said:

brushed cotton . same as they used in the old green army thermal long johns . can't seem to get those nowadays . 

Yes Harold

As in Corbett

Have you noticed all Jons likenesses are all Old ones . does this tell us something i wonder ??? HOLLY 

PS OLD GIT .:Spike

Got a handwarmer might get another. Can't bear them getting cold.  Coldest shoot I've done was undoubtedly last years last wl round at Springfield.  Snow and biting wind.  I really couldn't have given a toss about the shooting and it showed! 

I have to say nat's as a long time shooter at springfield  . it is in winter the coldest ground i have ever shot at . the walk up the field afterwards is purgatory . seems like it will never end . when practicing . i used to do the course in two half's . from the toilets to the club hut . have a cuppa or two and then try to do the rest . on very rare occasions i could only do half the of the rest of it . sod it was the cry . let us have a warm up . yep when the wind is driving the snow along it is BRRRRRRRRRR ??? HOLLY