Sign in to follow this  
Eaton Rifles

So...revisited heavies today.

So yet another has been seduced by the Heavies Hey .  Fools gold ??? HOLLY

Been using them since end Aug so not a recent thing holly.

Yes i remember you saying so Nat's . to be fair . what works , works . my problem with em is two fold . range finding has to really good ( yes the sightron is the scope  for em )  but in strong wind out in the open ? . i am not sure they are the all round pellets Nat's . maybe for the experience shot . maybe not . after christmas . i will buy another tin and run em through my shutz  , when i get it back . who knows i may have to eat my words ??? HOLLY

9 hours ago, holly said:

Yes i remember you saying so Nat's . to be fair . what works , works . my problem with em is two fold . range finding has to really good ( yes the sightron is the scope  for em )  but in strong wind out in the open ? . i am not sure they are the all round pellets Nat's . maybe for the experience shot . maybe not . after christmas . i will buy another tin and run em through my shutz  , when i get it back . who knows i may have to eat my words ??? HOLLY

the old pellets, bisley match, baracuddadadas etc. were all heavies and I don't remember too many problems with ranging them.

It wasn't until one of the Worlds that the other lightweight flavours came along.

The 8.4 does a good all round Job Col . ys if there is a sneaky wind about , you can end up in trouble . as said i have a  lot of 8.4s . so on we go ??? HOLLY

Sounds like there is fool's gold at both ends of your rainbow....:grin:

Some you win Col , some you lose ??? HOLLY 

With the five minutes I managed to try Saturday with the heavies they definitely have merit.

The trajectory is way different from Expresses as you’d expect being over three grains heavier. I punched some details into ChairGun before I went so I knew the key clicks.

Fifty five was spot on at 61 clicks (up 20 from 7.9’s) but everything else was not even close, so ChairGun can’t seem to resolve the smoother parabola of the heavies as it was trying to apply the more pronounced drop off of mid/lighter pellets.

All this means is that the only way to set these up reliably is old Skool with shooting every distance and manually adjusting.

And of course that is what i have been telling you for years Col . Suck It And See ??? HOLLY

5 hours ago, holly said:

And of course that is what i have been telling you for years Col . Suck It And See ??? HOLLY

Yep, I think in the case of heavies they don't follow the usual rules.

Still saying that the expresses behaved yesterday, I just had one of those days where I didn't second guess the inner-chimp and mostly it paid off.

The heavies definitely don’t fly like the heavies of yesteryear. They have a high BC factor for .177 somewhere in the region of 0.032 so they will fly flatter than the old barracudas. 

Stan the reason Grandad beat your ass ( and daves ) sunday . was he does not use Chairgun ??? HOLLY

13 hours ago, springboy said:

The heavies definitely don’t fly like the heavies of yesteryear. They have a high BC factor for .177 somewhere in the region of 0.032 so they will fly flatter than the old barracudas. 

In theory they should do being 3 grains heavier but with the same frontal area, but I couldn’t find a BC for them where did you get that figure from Satan?

I saw it on web site can’t remember. I think it was on chairgun. 

I'll have  a look mate as guessed at about 0.0270 and that was clearly wrong based on actually shooting them Saturday.

I generally find that Chairgun gives a good starting point, just needing a few tweaks here and there when trying against real distances.

19 hours ago, springboy said:

Found a real world test Cloverleaf did on AGF with an NJR:

"I think this theory is backed up to some extent by the comparison of bc values for the pellets - my bc values for the three lighter (and more stable) pellets are within 5% of most published figures, while the value of .022 for the JSB Heavy is significantly down on the more common value of 0.30 found for this pellet on the 'net - having investigated further, the source of many of the higher figures come from America and Europe; where these pellets are being launched at much higher velocities (850-950ft/s). Their ability to stabalise at these higher velocities adds weight to the idea that they are not being spun fast enough by the rifling at UK-legal velocities."

So he's saying that he found the JSB heavy had a real world BC out of his rifle of 0.022, it is the US shooters running them higher that generally quote BC's of 0.032

If I get a chance I'll do a BC test at Springfield out of my rifle as it will vary according to the barrel.

Just did a simple test on Chairgun, I know that it takes 61 clicks for 55yds @ 705fps as I tested for that on Saturday. So I just wound the BC back until the trajectory bisected 61 clicks and it was 0.0221 so pretty close to his real world findings.

I had CG on default BC for the heavies so no wonder it was out.

What you need is Graham’s labradoodle to save time. 

20 hours ago, holly said:

Stan the reason Grandad beat your ass ( and daves ) sunday . was he does not use Chairgun ??? HOLLY

I don’t use chairgun anymore too fiddly. I use this one. http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php

Ive found the most important thing to get right is the scope height,get that spot on and it’s accurate. All my ranges are spot on,the only misses I got was wind and where they did land was spot on in elivation. 

Time to get a shutz Stan ??? HOLLY

4 hours ago, holly said:

Time to get a shutz Stan ??? HOLLY

Nonsense, Stan does just fine with that ProTarget.

When we had the 52yd standing in a stiff wind challenge Stan put it down with his first shot.

Of course he quit while he was ahead but the point was made.

Well I've got enough heavies to last me a while.  Just need to learn how to shoot now lol.

Interesting Nat's , will this be a good decision or a bad one . will your scores go up or down . takes quite a long time to learn a pellet . i would say the complete winter league . i think i will stick with what i know . really just because of the high mount and the close one ??? HOLLY

8 hours ago, NatS said:

Well I've got enough heavies to last me a while.  Just need to learn how to shoot now lol.

Your shooting is fine, you’ve adapted well to the heavies, you just need from now until August to get ready for the Worlds....👍

I counsel caution Nat's ??? HOLLY

PS Buy another 9015 for AAs .and cut down too 4 bottles of wine a day .:Spike

I wouldn’t listen to this slurious slur Nat otherwise you might find yourself washed up on a dodgy island anchored in the Channel.

Iceni all go to Maldon for there holidays to get some sea air ??? HOLLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Iceni all go to Maldon for there holidays to get some sea air ??? HOLLY

Considering Nat is already in deepest Ipswich I'm guessing she gets more than enough sea air...:grin:

nope they go to burnham on sea ??? HOLLY

20 hours ago, holly said:

nope they go to burnham on sea ??? HOLLY

I think you'll fine the Caribbean is spelt differently these days...:rolleyes:

Terrible . what is  a matter with Clacton and Butlins ??? HOLLY