Sign in to follow this  
holly

The Pellets ?

OK New pellets up for a try tomorrow . steyr / WL  ready to rock . interesting ??? HOLLY

You should see how they go out of the Anschutz as well.

Got one tin on it's way from the bay - as the £13.99 included postage, it's cheaper than a tin from Uttings (when they come into stock) - mind you, for me to swap over to them, they've got to give somewhere about 25% smaller groups:awink:

Personally my air arms pellets give me very good groups at range . no complaints there . what i would like is a slightly more consistent windage  .talking of which the  lad i was shooting with sunday . said he is in love with Exacts Shorts ? i never heard of em . said the short length meant better windage . having said that . i got more long uns than he did . so was he right . dunno . may have to try a tin . ??? HOLLY

They're the new 8.4's, that look like 7.9's...

Not tried them. But the Premiums looked short as well, and were 8.4... they appeared to drop more than 8.4's or 7.9's, but grouped really well. Down range we put about 20 through the chrono at 55yds (when I mean through, I mean though the bit you're supposed to) and we had less than 6ft/s variation. 

8 hours ago, holly said:

Personally my air arms pellets give me very good groups at range . no complaints there . what i would like is a slightly more consistent windage  .talking of which the  lad i was shooting with sunday . said he is in love with Exacts Shorts ? i never heard of em . said the short length meant better windage . having said that . i got more long uns than he did . so was he right . dunno . may have to try a tin . ??? HOLLY

I've been using the JSB 'shorts' i.e. the expresses for a few months now and find them very predictable out of the Anschutz at 795fps.

My problem is that I miss more for giving too much wind than too little but certainly they seem to take less wind than any other pellet I've tried and maybe the shortness is a factor in this.

maybe the shortness is a factor in this.

Using this theory, Steve and Nat should be an excellent choice.

What velocity would you suggest for them?😁

• Haha 1

Lol, seeing myself on video surrounded by you giants made me realise just what a short -bottom- I am.  Oh well... maybe I'll invest in some stilts!

Yep i watched that Vid . what struck me was the amount of top quality rifles and scopes there were there  . amazing when you think i few years ago . a pro target was considered top gun . and a BSA Platinum  top scope . you could buy the pair secondhand for £800 . Ohwer Mother ??? HOLLY

PS Nice though . love a quality outfit .

OK the Pellets . i set the steyr up at 775 fps . shot it in , then zeroed and started shooting at 50 yards . then 55 yards . to cut a long story short . these pellets were just not quite as good as the air arms in that barrel . slightly better windage when i tried em against the AAs . BUT the AAs  when the rifle had been set for the QYS pellets were ten feet per second slower . when the AAs were turned up top 780 . the windage and the groups were better . i think it is the head size  ( 4.50 ) that make the difference in this barrel . not gripping the barrel as well . same test tomorrow with the shutz .??? HOLLY

6 hours ago, NatS said:

Lol, seeing myself on video surrounded by you giants made me realise just what a short -bottom- I am.  Oh well... maybe I'll invest in some stilts!

Nat's All the Better . all those Big Beer Swilling , Macho , Strong  Men got there Asses handed to them on a plate . Oh yes . only one thing to Say . 

Get Out Of My Way Boy's The Nat's is  Coming Throughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 

??? HOLLY                           :amen::poster_oops::Grumpgramp::Spike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holly said:

OK the Pellets . i set the steyr up at 775 fps . shot it in , then zeroed and started shooting at 50 yards . then 55 yards . to cut a long story short . these pellets were just not quite as good as the air arms in that barrel . slightly better windage when i tried em against the AAs . BUT the AAs  when the rifle had been set for the QYS pellets were ten feet per second slower . when the AAs were turned up top 780 . the windage and the groups were better . i think it is the head size  ( 4.50 ) that make the difference in this barrel . not gripping the barrel as well . same test tomorrow with the shutz .??? HOLLY

Well some you win and some you lose.

Might have been worth trying the QYS at 785 and 760 as a test.

Still you never know they might be an absolute beast in the Anschutz tomorrow...👍

Bazza wants to try what is  left sunday as they may favour stainless barrels ??? HOLLY

PS i think cos they are faster for the same power than the AAs . that the head is not touching the barrel as tightly . bazza wants to try lube on em . i am not a lube person .

10 hours ago, holly said:

Bazza wants to try what is  left sunday as they may favour stainless barrels ??? HOLLY

PS i think cos they are faster for the same power than the AAs . that the head is not touching the barrel as tightly . bazza wants to try lube on em . i am not a lube person .

Funny I always thought you favoured a little light lube to get things moving...🤔

20 hours ago, dc1 said:

maybe the shortness is a factor in this.

Using this theory, Steve and Nat should be an excellent choice.

What velocity would you suggest for them?😁

Velocity isnt important. Being washed and lubed is though.

Steve I hope you've managed to sort important stuff out like 'a scope that works' before Sunday, just sayin'....:grin:

With AAs you don't have to wash or lube . just a quick inspection of the seats . load em and shoot em . ??? HOLLY

Right no luck today with the Pellets . windage was the same but the grouping was not as good as the AAs . as said i will hand over the ones left to Bazza  to try in a steyr stainless barrel  on Sunday . shame nice looking pellets  ??? HOLLY

13 hours ago, holly said:

Right no luck today with the Pellets . windage was the same but the grouping was not as good as the AAs . as said i will hand over the ones left to Bazza  to try in a steyr stainless barrel  on Sunday . shame nice looking pellets  ??? HOLLY

Thought Bazza was still shooting his Bizarre?

Nope Bazza is shooting the Steyr ( good one ) i told him when he got it strip it down . polish the internals . check it over the chrono for a string . check the locking grun screw for the power adjuster and if needed get the reg serviced ( only £35 ) . instead he went down the pub . thus his results so far . very accurate rifle ??? HOLY

1 hour ago, holly said:

Nope Bazza is shooting the Steyr ( good one ) i told him when he got it strip it down . polish the internals . check it over the chrono for a string . check the locking grun screw for the power adjuster and if needed get the reg serviced ( only £35 ) . instead he went down the pub . thus his results so far . very accurate rifle ??? HOLY

It really is a good job no one actually pays any attention to you....:grin:

And even less to you ??? HOLLY

Did someone say something?

Just now, holly said:

And even less to you ??? HOLLY

Who said that....:grin:

Well Done with the Pellets  DTM . thanks . the head size i think is wrong for my rifles . the ones i have left i will let the lads finish off sunday at the club . i will wait to see if they do a 4.52 . Cheers HOLLY

I was looking to buy a qty of new pellets and looked here   Note the heading ( on the left ) lead free come under!! "Unstable"  says a lot really :) 

Edited by DTM

Pax i think started this lead free lark  . they used to send sample batches down to the Club ( lea Valley ) they were useless . ??? HOLLY

21 hours ago, holly said:

Pax i think started this lead free lark  . they used to send sample batches down to the Club ( lea Valley ) they were useless . ??? HOLLY

Yep H&N pellets are a tin mix, nothing beats lead for flexibility except maybe depleted uranium....:grin:

Yep but with them col after a while you grow another head ? just look at Groucher ??? HOLLY

PS and it ain't pretty .:amen:

Well Pellets handed over to Bazza and i have to say in the steyr they were doing pretty well . he will test then further when the conditions are better , gusting 20 to 30 mph is not conducive to good reliable accuracy ??? HOLLY