Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brooker

RE, Front Rank

Guest Brooker

Would anybody be willing to draft and post on here a general letter that we can print off and send to our MP's. It would also be helpful to post the address where it has to be sent, ie

MP's name,

House of commons,

London. SW1A OAA.

This would help the people who cant put what they want to say into words.

Andy.

Guest PhilA

(Taken from here )

Dear <MP's name>

As a sporting shot I am very concerned over the future

of my sport in this country. We already have some of the most restrictive firearms legislation in Europe and I am beginning to wonder where it will all end.

I would be grateful if you could let me know what your position is regarding further controls over the private ownership of airguns in the UK? For instance, do you believe that further restrictive legislation is necessary or desirable?

Can you also let me know what positive effects you think there have been since the abolition of the private ownership of handguns?

Yours sincerely

HTH

Phil

Guest raygun

I do not think that it matters to M.P's if the letter that they receive is perfect in every way.  What does matter is that they get the letter. Unfortunately M.P's in the main do what they are told, and also vote the same way. What does concentrate their minds is the possible loss of votes at an approaching election. With the increasing numbers of airgunners and the help of the shooting orientated organisations it should be possible to put increasing pressure on any Government of the day. It will require each individual to take part in some way. Start in a small way with your own letter and lets see where it gets us.

Governments can eventually get the message.  :f  :f  :f

Guest JohnJo
What does concentrate their minds is the possible loss of votes at an approaching election. With the increasing numbers of airgunners and the help of the shooting orientated organisations it should be possible to put increasing pressure on any Government of the day. It will require each individual to take part in some way. Start in a small way with your own letter and lets see where it gets us.

Governments can eventually get the message

From the BASC guide to campaigning:

MP's count their letters and a dozen or so on any one subject will be regarded as important.

Makes you think eh? Also, during the pre-handgun ban battle I recall one minister saying (in print) "you don't know how close you (the shooters) came to winning that battle."

Guest raygun

Point of information when writing to your M.P. It will help if you ask him/her to find out the answer to a question you pose from the Minister concerned. This way your M.P. has also to write a letter and the relevant Minister has to reply.

This tactic is called 'making your presence known' or 'just see how much I can gum your works up'.