Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike

"North West Tonight" Programme

Guest Mike

At 6:30 and again at 10:00 on Wednesday 5th there was an item on the North-West TV sparked by a surgeon - Mr May from Alder Hey Children's hospital in Liverpool - saying that the possession of airguns in public shouled be banned.

He cited 200 injuries to children treated at the hospital with airgun injuries, and produced X-Rays to show pellets embedded in heads and necks of children.

I was interviewed for balance, and I made the point that in the North-West - which includes Liverpool and Manchester, there have probably been even more - and far more serious injuries and even deaths - caused by HANDGUNS, which had been banned since 1998, Banning doesn't work, and in any case, shooting children is already a criminal offence.

If we ban airguns, only the law-abiding will suffer, the criminals will continue to shoot people - it's what they do !

Mike

But surely Mike,

Shooting airguns in public/public places has always been banned. aconfused.gif

Rod

Guest Mike

Rod,

Shooting airguns in public places has NOT been banned - thankfully. The definition of a public place under the Firearms Acts is a place where the public have admittance at the materiel time, whether on payment or not - this would include field target open shoots and the like, then there are fairground rifle ranges, scout shoots, etc etc.

I appreciate what you mean about it always having been banned, BUT possessing an air rifle in a public place without reasonable excuse is NOW an offence, and shooting people has always been an offence - something I made clear - I hope.

All the best !

Mike