AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Fit To Shoot .

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 holly

holly

holly

• 23,292 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:19 PM

As Rob has found in one of the other threads . carrying too much weight is not good for your shooting . so for me i am stepping up the rather meager amount of fitness training i do . so the half mile i do each night after dinner must now turn into a mile and a half . it has one quite steep climb on it . so a bit of everything . once i can do that reasonably well . it will be down to the front at Shanklin to then walk along by the sea and then up the cliff steps ( a right booger ) . which will increase the distance to two miles . that plus some cycling . some stretching and some weights will get me back up to scratch ??? HOLLY

PS Only snag is it passes a cafe on the cliffs that sells cider with ice in tall glasses . so you can sit outside and look out over the bay . very nice . can i resist it . don't tell colin .

#2 Darron

Darron
  • 1,076 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands, Walsall

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

Good luck to ya fella, I'm not sure I fancy ice cold cider out doors in December? Not before 10 am anyway.

#3 NatS

NatS
  • 1,013 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Suffolk

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

Keep trying to get my dad to come back shooting. He says he isn't fit enough, he's too old. I say if you want to do it you'll find a way, others do!

#4 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 10,994 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

Keep trying to get my dad to come back shooting. He says he isn't fit enough, he's too old. I say if you want to do it you'll find a way, others do!

If he doesn't think he's up to FT then he should try bench rest, still as tricky and it's still shooting.

#5 holly

holly

holly

• 23,292 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:39 PM

I think really with a bit of effort most can do open class . i can now . but i want to do the normal shoot if i can to try as ever to get into the regional team .  we will see ??? HOLLY

#6 robF

robF
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Looking forward to that Hols :)

#7 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:53 PM

I think really with a bit of effort most can do open class . i can now . but i want to do the normal shoot if i can to try as ever to get into the regional team .  we will see ??? HOLLY

While you're at it, book yourself into next year's Worlds and place a large bet on you winning it....:grin:

#8 Piemanlarger

Piemanlarger

Awesime

• 2,515 posts
  • Interests:Ft
    Railways
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:W.Glamorgan

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:03 PM

"carrying too much weight is not good for your shooting"

No one tell me!

#9 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

No one tell me!

No one tell me!

Rob was skinny, gave up Fags and put on weight, so his natural state is skinny.
You on the other hand would just be wrong skinny...somet things in nature just shouldn't be explained...:grin:

#10 Piemanlarger

Piemanlarger

Awesime

• 2,515 posts
  • Interests:Ft
    Railways
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:W.Glamorgan

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

​My ideal mountain biking weight was 13.5 stone. That was my fittest.

Trouble is being that lightweight you get blown about too much in Welsh Ft wind!

#11 holly

holly

holly

• 23,292 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

Well i put the hammer down tonight. passed two snails and a tortoise .Yeahhhh . we had a roast dinner tonight cos the kids are over . so punishment  was due . so i did the extra half mile . does not sound much but there is another cat one hill on it  . how do i define cat one ? you have to stop breathing through your nose and breath through your mouth . by the end my calves felt like steel rods and i was weaving slightly . we will get there , not the easy way. but the only way , the hard way  .??? HOLLY

#12 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

​My ideal mountain biking weight was 13.5 stone. That was my fittest.

Trouble is being that lightweight you get blown about too much in Welsh Ft wind!

Ah yes, but you also have to consider surface area that the wind blows on. See, even on standers you have to give yourself more windage...:grin:

#13 Matt

Matt
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

Thing I found difficult, apart from carrying a little too much extra weight around was the mental side of the game.

When I got back into competing a couple of years ago I struggled with getting my head back into it, think I posted on here about looking for a coach to help. Am faced with same situation again, had a year off and now looking to get back into it again and wondering where to start.

Luckily kit wise I have kept it all.

Need to get the old weights bench and bike out as a start I think.

Am re evaluating the gimp coat situation, tried one the other week, still feels like cheating, but guess majority use them now so why not.

Matt

#14 NatS

NatS
  • 1,013 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Suffolk

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

Even I succumbed to the gimp coat. Must say it's helped easing the after effects of shoots.

Edited by NatS, 13 September 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#15 NeilMac

NeilMac
  • 2,679 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, horses, cycling, archery
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Somerset

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

Walk, cycle or swim it really doesn't matter as long as you elevate you heart rate and breathing for extended periods.

Start off slowly with short efforts and build up as quickly as you feel able, as you start to push things harder don't forget to give your body time to heal. I used to train and teach martial arts five nights a week, in between I'd be running with a bergen full of bricks or mountain biking over the Mendips, I was young, fit, stupid and weighed next to nothing. Now I am older I have to give myself a couple of days between cycle rides, your body will dictate the pace.

Exercise is only part of it, rest and food are as important, but not too much of either and alcohol is very high in sugar, so cut back on that too.

#16 RN10

RN10
  • 636 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Se

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

Holly no over doing it as if you do to much and have to slow up on not walk for a while you will be back to square one. I have got my turbo trainer back out to night to try to find a bit more speed and fitness for a last attempt at keeping up on club rides but not sure if this will help shooting if I ever get round to doing any more.

#17 holly

holly

holly

• 23,292 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:33 PM

I spent 22 years in the TA . came out when i was 47 . i was running running three times a week . badminton . circuit training and so on . for me i have to push or nothing will happen . there has to be something at the end to keep you to it . but once going habit will help . bad weather , good weather go . ??? HOLLY 

PS  Matt . with your record of bad backs . if i were you . i would get one of those elasticated support belts . 

#18 RN10

RN10
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

A big cake at the end or any where in your training route will keep you going I bet.

#19 holly

holly

holly

• 23,292 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

Cheese Puffs actually ??? HOLLY

#20 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Cheese Puffs actually ??? HOLLY

How fitting...:grin:

#21 holly

holly

holly

• 23,292 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

Suffered for last night tonight , oh yes , holly

#22 RN10

RN10
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

I tried a new app for the turbo trainer tonight and the ftp test nearly killed me.,

#23 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

Matt, aside from the obvious support to your back a gimp coat helps get you into the zone mentally much like putting on a suit for the office.

#24 NeilMac

NeilMac
  • 2,679 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, horses, cycling, archery
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Somerset

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:05 AM

I tried a new app for the turbo trainer tonight and the ftp test nearly killed me.,

Turbo training is definitely harder that normal riding, I have to put towels everywhere as with me it is a sweat fest.

I did a 25 miler yesterday, I had set out to do 30 but the wind was a bit brutal, just under 1000ft of climbing, again a bit less than planned. I think I'll manage one more ride before the Worlds.

#25 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Turbo training is definitely harder that normal riding, I have to put towels everywhere as with me it is a sweat fest.

I did a 25 miler yesterday, I had set out to do 30 but the wind was a bit brutal, just under 1000ft of climbing, again a bit less than planned. I think I'll manage one more ride before the Worlds.

I had a hard session last night as well, took me at least two minutes to find a fresh bottle of Port and open it as the foil was a right cow-sun.

Not quite a sweat-fest but it was close...:rolleyes:

#26 Matt

Matt
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

Matt, aside from the obvious support to your back a gimp coat helps get you into the zone mentally much like putting on a suit for the office.

Will see how I go over winter with it, hopefully will have my jh 9015 to use as well.

Matt

#27 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Will see how I go over winter with it, hopefully will have my jh 9015 to use as well.

Matt

What's up with the rifle, surely you will be taking to the Worlds?

#28 Matt

Matt
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

[quote name="Eaton Rifles" post="462605" timestamp="1505463497"]

[quote name="Matt" post="462604" timestamp="1505463390"]

[quote name="Eaton Rifles" post="462599" timestamp="1505458111"]
Matt, aside from the obvious support to your back a gimp coat helps get you into the zone mentally much like putting on a suit for the office.[/quote]

Matt
 [/quote]

What's up with the rifle, surely you will be taking to the Worlds?[/quote]

My gun was used as a bit of a donor rifle, when the teams were being setup (to ensure members could get up and running asap).

It's been with Jon past few months to get it back up and running, but jons been so busy with other people's guns (to be fair I ain't been chasing him as I want the gun to be right), also I've been testing and using the factory ft rifle.

So at the world's will be the factory ft rifle on a stand and hopefully I may be able to pick mine back up after the world's to reset back up.

Matt

#29 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

Sounds good Matt, will the factory FT rifle be available for a little testing on the plinking range? :grin:

#30 Matt

Matt
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

Sounds good Matt, will the factory FT rifle be available for a little testing on the plinking range? :grin:

I'm not sure what or where the marquee is in relation to the plinking range...so can't answer this.

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users