AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Membership culling policy

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 Hare's Ear

Hare's Ear
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(luddite @ Tue Feb 6 2007, 03:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the cull is a sensible move, I have a mate who is a member of all the known airgun forums but has never made a single post and seems to be unlikely to break his duck. I have absolutely no idea why he bothered to register. pyth.gif

Unlike your friend Luddite, I was one of the first members of this forum, and posted regularly. I did not visit for a while, and was deleted.

I still have a lot to learn about shooting and the guns we use. So I am making my customary 'keep my account open post'.

#62 BSFNUT

BSFNUT
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

Not been on here for ages - so I had better post rather than lose the resource

cheers Dave L

Roger ( who still has much to learn !!!)

Edited by BSFNUT, 23 September 2007 - 09:16 AM.

#63 Guest_Sabot_*

Guest_Sabot_*

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:14 PM

I don't see why members have to make posts if all their needs are satisfactorily met and ergo not having anything to say. Some members delight themselves in wasting space and incrementing their post count for qudos gains.

I always enjoy reading other members comments but am I forced to acknowledge every post I come across - me thinks not. If I have something to say then I will act accordingly.

I have shaved the back of my neck in anticipation the chop will be quick and painlessly executed .. RIP

#64 AirGunForum

AirGunForum

Forum Super Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,928 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Newcastle-under-Lyme

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

I'm sorry you find it difficult to either contribute or join in. Those who really object to this policy are saying they can't manage a single post per annum. If they can't, then all they have to do is re-register and log in just once in the first three months, then they're good for up to 13 months from registration. There's more work involved for admin in processing re-registrations than leaving the database alone to fill with dead bodies. It's not done to punish people, it's as the starter post says, it keeps the database tidy and provides a much more realistic count of members and hopefully encourages a "community", even if that annual post is confined to snapping at the hand that provides.

It DOES get rid of the passing trade who register but aren't interested. It also gets rid of the multiple registrations that some are prone to make and never use; hopefully it does encourage a bit of interaction. To my "tidy" mind, managing a database of 5k potentially interactive members is preferable to managing the same 5k plus a further 5 or 10k of "dead wood". If it were possible for admin to cull based on logins rather than posts, that would be preferable, but that tool does not exist.

Finally, Sabot, methinks you overstate your case when comparing making one post a year with the wild exaggeration of "acknowledging every post you come across".

DaveL

#65 Guest_Sabot_*

Guest_Sabot_*

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:15 PM

Hi DaveL

I admire your efforts in keeping the dead wood at a manageable level where warranted and I certainly don't envy you in attempting this arduous weeding out task.

You are right in that perhaps me doth protest too much and I didn't mean to offend the membership or the administrators and the laudable work they do on behalf of this forum.

As you say a login count would be more desirable than a post count but alas not available.

Unfortunately some of us are not vocal or gregarious and I readily admit I am one but don't necessarily feel handicapped. I agree with the spirit of contributing and the creation of a community and long may this succeed especially considering the numerous constraints placed upon law abiding air gun enthusiasts.

Happy shooting
Sabot

#66 Hare's Ear

Hare's Ear
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:44 PM

I still have a lot to learn.

#67 Guest_Copperjacket_*

Guest_Copperjacket_*

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

As a long term lurker I have undoubtedly learned more than I have contributed - not difficult given my post count!

It is always difficult when joining a forum to strike a balance between asking a question for the sake of it and attempting to make a positive contibution.

#68 J-B

J-B

Technical Support

• Super Admin
  • 2,925 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Grantham Lincs - Formerly from Leeds.

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

Test Bump

#69 arrows180

arrows180
  • 287 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:worcs

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:10 PM

Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Just remembered why i dont post too often. abiggrin.gif abiggrin.gif abiggrin.gif

#70 Hare's Ear

Hare's Ear
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

Still learning

#71 Hare's Ear

Hare's Ear
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

Learning even more.

#72 Don

Don

'The Squirrelbasher'

• Member.
  • 2,473 posts
  • Interests:Movies, computers, motorbikes (big & fast!), & airgun/rimfire hunting
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:New Forest, Hampshire

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:04 PM

I'm not going to join the Dodo yet!

Member No99, and proud of it!

Don

#73 Guest_Beanwood_*

Guest_Beanwood_*

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:07 PM

I've stopped lurking (12 months plus), but I'm still learning !

I've got thousands of questions I can ask (e.g. Does anyone know of a decent airgun shop or club in Bristol ? I'm keen to try a PCP before I buy one...), but in honesty little to contribute, as I've done so little shooting to date. I know it's a community (And I'm grateful to you all) but I don't want to be the virtual equivalent of the village idiot confused.gif

ATB
sign_help.gif

#74 Hare's Ear

Hare's Ear
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

Still reading, Still got plenty to learn

#75 Hare's Ear

Hare's Ear
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

Still Learning.

#76 AirGunForum

AirGunForum

Forum Super Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,928 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Newcastle-under-Lyme

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

Here's something that will please Hare's Ear!

A few months ago, I was able to change the way in which the cull was working. Now, it no longer relies on whether a member has posted or not.

For the last few months, the cull has removed members who have not logged in for over a year.

So, right now, I'm about to remove 228 members who haven't logged in since July 2008. Members who haven't logged in from earlier than July 2008 have already been culled

DaveL

#77 Guest_albob_*

Guest_albob_*

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(Beanwood @ Sat Nov 15 2008, 20:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've stopped lurking (12 months plus), but I'm still learning !

I've got thousands of questions I can ask (e.g. Does anyone know of a decent airgun shop or club in Bristol ? I'm keen to try a PCP before I buy one...), but in honesty little to contribute, as I've done so little shooting to date. I know it's a community (And I'm grateful to you all) but I don't want to be the virtual equivalent of the village idiot confused.gif

ATB
sign_help.gif

nobody is an idiot that asks a question.
if you never ask,you never find out or learn.
took me a while before i posted and some questions i asked seemed silly but,i learned and that is what matters.
nobody knows all and all of us have had to start somewhere and there is nowhere better than at the beginning. smile.gif
al

#78 Hare's Ear

Hare's Ear
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

Guess What?
I'm still learning. biggrin.gif

#79 Webby

Webby
  • 23 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Gloucester

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

Hares Ear

Clever that cool.gif

#80 sg1

sg1

Early Morning Admin(yawn!!)

• 1,940 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight Sporting Rifle Competition Shooting,Clay Pigeon Shooting(ESP),Collecting Swords/Knives, Cooking , Computer Repairs and of course my Partner and our 3 kids.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South coast, west sussex

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE(Hare's Ear @ Wed Aug 11 2010, 20:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guess What?
I'm still learning. biggrin.gif

Well I think you may wanna try 'special needs learning' cos at less than 4 posts a year- you aint quite grasped the concept of active forum participation yet!!! thefinger2.gif

atvb

sg1

#81 Villiers

Villiers
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Any thing with wheels or guns
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:London

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

Wind how to deal with , all answers on a post card. smile.gif

#82 Brian Again

Brian Again

Motorcycle Abuser

• Member.
  • 1,115 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in Sea Fishing, Shooting, Amateur Engineering and all thinks Gadgety.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:North Kent

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(Villiers @ Thu Aug 12 2010, 09:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wind how to deal with , all answers on a post card. smile.gif

Activated Charcoal Underpants. Guaranteed.

#83 Hare's Ear

Hare's Ear
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE(sg1 @ Thu Aug 12 2010, 08:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I think you may wanna try 'special needs learning' cos at less than 4 posts a year- you aint quite grasped the concept of active forum participation yet!!! thefinger2.gif

atvb

sg1

I am so awfully sorry, I had no idea I had to participate as well as read and learn.

#84 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Super Admin
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio, building electronic equipment.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffordshire

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

To save anyone the trouble of returning to this thread's starter post, here's what it says. I have taken the liberty of highlighting something it seems our readers may have missed, lest it be thought it had not been said.

Membership of this Forum has always been intended to be an act of participation, of sharing knowledge and experiences, of exploring a common interest that has brought us together as a community.

The Forum is now over two years old an I've noticed quite a lot of early registrations that have never made even a single post.

I can only assume that these were registrations made out of curiosity or that interests have moved on. There are quite probably a number of registrations where passwords were forgotten and so another registration was made.

As we're not gripped by the number of registrations on the board, I propose culling the dead wood. My apologies in advance to anyone who's been a long-term watcher and non-contributor who gets chopped, but the solution is to simply re-register and
participate.

Addendum June 2005
The cull policy has now been in use for 18 months and appears to be working well. Membership figures are around the 2k mark and registrations are approaching 7k.

Addendum August 2009
The cull policy was changed a few months ago, and is working as intended. The cull now removes people who have not [b]logged on[b] to the forum for 12 months or more. The cull is now no longer based on whether a member has posted or not. That policy removed members who looked in, but did not contribute (post).

I hope and trust that resolves any questions about participating. smile.gif

DaveL

#85 raygun

raygun
  • Administrators
  • 8,567 posts
  • Interests:Airgunning
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Bolton

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hi Robin,
To be honest I don't think Jim will know how much you contribute to shooting and also Dog handling.
It's rather easy for us that do know you personally to understand that you not that bad abiggrin.gif

A quiet, retiring Countryman would perhaps be an apt description Wheeze.gif

ATB
Ray.

#86 sg1

sg1

Early Morning Admin(yawn!!)

• 1,940 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight Sporting Rifle Competition Shooting,Clay Pigeon Shooting(ESP),Collecting Swords/Knives, Cooking , Computer Repairs and of course my Partner and our 3 kids.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South coast, west sussex

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

My comment was intended mostly in jest!! , however Wiki's explanation/definition seems to sum it up quite nicely smile.gif .

ATVB

sg1

ps: if this were the R.C.D.H.F (Retired Countryman Dog Handling Forum)then I wouldn't have a leg to stand on biggrin.gif
pps: cheekkiss.gif

#87 riggers2647

riggers2647
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Fishing and reading good factual and outdoor pursuit books.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Gloucestershire

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

I must say I have been a forum member for a while and have only made eight posts so far. Its not because of lack of interest, its because I spent most of my time on a similar forum with a lot more members?? Only problem with that was a fair proportion of them were either semi-illiterate, couldn't be bothered to reply to posts or pm's or didn't have a clue about most things. I will be logging onto this forum more from now on, so look out, I just love a heated debate!!! furious.gif

#88 spottydog

spottydog
  • 9 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Sleaford/Lincs/UK

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzz - erm huh, grunt -rub eyes, scratch bits - check!

Coooool, who'da thought it - wakey, wakey time.......

Or is it time for 40 winks?

#89 Hare's Ear

Hare's Ear
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(raygun @ Fri Aug 13 2010, 21:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Robin,
To be honest I don't think Jim will know how much you contribute to shooting and also Dog handling.
It's rather easy for us that do know you personally to understand that you not that bad abiggrin.gif

A quiet, retiring Countryman would perhaps be an apt description Wheeze.gif

ATB
Ray.

I'm still lurking. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users