AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Airgunforum, what future?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Super Admin
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio, building electronic equipment.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffordshire

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

Airgunforum.net is looking for a new owner.  Hopefully, one with fresh and new ideas.

It started life on 12 December 2001 thanks to Alf Wheeler.  I joined on 16th December.

Alf and I worked together through some difficult times and I think the hassle from other quarters grew too much for Alf, so he gave the forum to me.

We had lots of new ideas and it made this forum an interesting one for many, however, new ideas are soon copied by others, so it wasn’t long before staff on here ran out of ideas to enhance the board and keep it moving.

My own shooting was curtailed by eye problems and John B’s work demanded more of him, so involvement and interest in airgunning flagged for us both and ownership of the forum was taken by Ray (Raygun) for a short while.  Sadly, Ray developed lung cancer which was not diagnosed until quite late.  He seemed to have responded well to treatment, however, an attack of pneumonia proved too much for his weakened system and he passed away. He is greatly missed.

Since then, John B and I have maintained the forum as a going concern with John B hosting it on his personal webspace, but membership activity is very low and concentrated mainly in the FT, FT Hunter and SAR forum.  I visit the forum at least once per day to do any necessary admin., but there are no new ideas or stimuli to get things working again.

It’s decision time.  Either the reins of the forum are passed to another person – with full support from both John B and me or it closes down.  John and I will honour our promises, unlike some fly-by-nights, but that’s another story.

In May of this year, I registered the domain name for two years but the software is out of date and although I bought lifetime support from the authors; that seems to have gone to the wall.

So please feel free to post your comments on this thread and feel free to PM me if you have something positive to offer.

Failing a change of ownership, I propose closing the forum on or around its 16th anniversary.

Dave L

#2 holly

holly

holly

• 24,155 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

Hi up dave . forums are driven by there members of course . but a lot of interest is down to Adds . selling there gear and such . the BBS basically runs on it's power to buy and sell . how about a word with gareth . he is an ideas man ??? HOLLY

#3 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 594 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

58 views, one (now two) replies. That should give you a hint to how people feel about this forums future.

I think Holly should take ownership, then he can reply to his own notification emails.  :lol2:

#4 NeilMac

NeilMac
  • 2,980 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, horses, cycling, archery
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Somerset

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

I don't think the number of replies has any bearing on how much people enjoy visiting and contributing to this forum,

I suspect they are reading the post from Dave and taking in that the forum will either change hands again, or will be closed down.

That no one has visibly come forward to offer taking on the forum just reflects that people understand the time, commitment and knowledge needed.

#5 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,327 posts
  • Interests:Shooting,Fishing,and my family
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:essex

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

It would be a shame to lose this forum,it offers valuable information and good banter. Im a member on a few forums and none of them are as good as this one imo. Lets hope someone will take up the challenge and keep it going. As the biggest contributor I nominate Holly

#6 RN10

RN10
  • 666 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Se

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Holly on his way to 25000 post so it has to keep going.

#7 NatS

NatS
  • 1,095 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Suffolk

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

I'm all for keeping this forum going. Let me know if I can help.

#8 holly

holly

holly

• 24,155 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

What is wanted is constructive ideas . . i know there is not a million people on here but there is still more than on some of the one make forums . what it needs is more people on the general part of the forum .??? HOLLY 

#9 robF

robF
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:33 PM

Whatever the decision Dave, thanks for the space & time.

#10 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,327 posts
  • Interests:Shooting,Fishing,and my family
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:essex

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

Not interested Rob?

#11 robF

robF
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

Not interested Rob?

STB keeps me busy enough I'm afraid, and two forums would be just duplicating the workload.

#12 holly

holly

holly

• 24,155 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

Time for a young thrusting new owner maybe ??? HOLLY

#13 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:12 AM

Time for a young thrusting new owner maybe ??? HOLLY

You've got plenty of time on your hands young Holls? :grin:

#14 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 594 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

Serious question: What does this forum offer that others dont? Apart from a constant stream of off topic meandering bull poop.

#15 holly

holly

holly

• 24,155 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

What i know about computers and such you could write on a pin head ??? HOLLY

#16 holly

holly

holly

• 24,155 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

Serious question: What does this forum offer that others dont? Apart from a constant stream of off topic meandering bull poop.

Well you have access to a lot of knowledge , friendly advice and some moaning git from Iceni ??? HOLLY :cheers:

#17 Piemanlarger

Piemanlarger

Awesime

• 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Ft
    Railways
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:W.Glamorgan

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

Less off topic replies than you would get on STB ??? Perhaps not

#18 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

It keeps Holly busy and away from totalling his house in a gun related explosion...:grin:

#19 robF

robF
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

Saves STB from Holly :D

#20 holly

holly

holly

• 24,155 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

Nah . good forum STB but too much like BBS . can't have a chat on either of those . look what happened to simon with his . how do you miss with a EV2 ( answer easily ) no there should always be smaller more friendly forums like this one . ??? HOLLY 

#21 SuffolkRifle

SuffolkRifle
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

It seems that all forums are 'taking a hit' with memberships recently, also fewer people seem to post in general - I know that the forum I 'own' has just migrated to our own servers, though we have over 1,000 'active; members, probably 80% haven't yet logged into the new site and we moved in April!

As an Admin on another forum, that one is, basically, kept going by just 6 or so of the membership.

Is the day of the forum finished? Not sure, but face-ache groups seem to have taken over some of the 'trade', but that has the disadvantage of any knowledge/hints etc., disappearing over time, opposed to forums where the knowledge is held and able to be viewed.

It'd be a sad day if this forum went by the wayside, it was one of the first I found on the net, and one of the friendliest as well.

My thanks to the team that have kept it going.

#22 NeilMac

NeilMac
  • 2,980 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, horses, cycling, archery
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Somerset

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

I agree that this is a nice place to be, rather like meeting up with a few mates at the pub. Forums like StB are superb because of the depth of knowledge and level of expertise of the members, but there is always the danger that some smart arse keyboard warrior who 'knows someone who once saw a guy with a'... will pop up and throw a spanner in the spokes of a discussion, much like facebook.

#23 holly

holly

holly

• 24,155 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

What he said ??? HOLLY

#24 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 594 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

I agree that this is a nice place to be, rather like meeting up with a few mates at the pub. Forums like StB are superb because of the depth of knowledge and level of expertise of the members, but there is always the danger that some smart arse keyboard warrior who 'knows someone who once saw a guy with a'... will pop up and throw a spanner in the spokes of a discussion, much like facebook.

As I see it that is exactly why this forum is barely used; cliquey, doesnt stay on topic and any useful tech knowledge gets lost because it could appear in any thread at all, vaguely topic related or not, which makes it frustrating for for the casual user. Perhaps an easy option if this forum does close, is to create an Airgunforum replacement facebook page, it would be a very easy transition as this forum is effectively just one section, all the others are never used and basically redundant. Perhaps STB could archive Airgun forum in a read only format so nothing is lost?

#25 NatS

NatS
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

No no no... Facebook shows every like or post you make to everyone on their friends list, not everyone on facebook wants to read about shooting :)

I don't use STB really, but can see what it offers that here doesn't.  Many leagues, communities seem to use it to post their weekly scores up, that encourages new members to come along.  Also a for sale section which is very active, as well as a constantly updated shooting calendar of events around the country for easy access.  More recently it's the only place to get the official rolling 16 for FT regions.  That's before you even get onto the posting content.  Having said that, I've seen posts go off topic on every forum I've ever used, it's the nature of the beast.  There's little point this forum trying to do more of the same unless purely to give people a choice.

How do you measure a forums success?  Posts per day? members? member to post ratio?  This forum does in my opinion offer a relaxed (as neil said) chit chat pub atmosphere, and I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that.   A section for technical is there but people don't use it.  If it was a pure technical question, start by posting in the right sections ;) once you do that and it goes off topic, a moderator should be able to come along and clean the topic.

Lastly, the biggest forums (by users) tend to offer a service of some sort.  For example PBBans has so many users mainly due to the nature of online PC gaming x years ago.  It still has many users but because of things changing, no longer is required by so many and therefore has a limited time left.

Personally I am not sure what new ideas would help.  A portal always attracts more users then straight to forum boards, especially if it looks half decent.  Or you could just accept it is what it is and go from there.

#26 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 594 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

No no no... Facebook shows every like or post you make to everyone on their friends list, not everyone on facebook wants to read about shooting :)

Not if the page is set up correctly surely? I'm fairly certain that it can be set so that posts stay private within the group.

EDIT: Ive just checked, there is 'closed' and 'private' as privacy options.

Edited by SteveC200, 14 November 2017 - 08:45 AM.

#27 robF

robF
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

Try searching for something specific on FB. 

FB is ok for chat, but beyond that it wears a little thin.

#28 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 594 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

Perfect as a replacement for this forum then.

Edited by SteveC200, 14 November 2017 - 08:59 AM.

#29 Piemanlarger

Piemanlarger

Awesime

• 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Ft
    Railways
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:W.Glamorgan

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:37 AM

I come to that conclusion.

Even been thinking of digging H.D.Y.M. up again for my own records

lol

#30 NatS

NatS
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

A closed group will attract less users.

Edited by NatS, 14 November 2017 - 10:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users