AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Leupols Service Centre - small update...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GaryB

GaryB
  • 62 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Surrey

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

I've recently had my x40 sent to Leupold (via Viking) for a service and it came back quickly and the scope is mega, they even gave me new turret covers I was missing - great service.  However Viking are having trouble with an export licence at the moment ( I have my x35 sat with them waiting to go back for a service ) and today they sent me an email saying that very shortly there will be a new German service centre who they can use as well as sending them off to the US of A.  They'll send mine off to Germany if they go live before they sort their licence.  Now I don't know what (if any) work Germany will do with the changing of rets etc but it does sound like a good sign at least :)

#2 GaryB

GaryB
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

And I do mean Leupold :poster_oops: 

#3 holly

holly

holly

• 24,155 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

Sounds good Garry ??? HOLLY

#4 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,327 posts
  • Interests:Shooting,Fishing,and my family
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:essex

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

Maybe they will fit one of their new iron cross rets

#5 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,845 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

Would be good if Germany could do a reticle change but usually the only change they do is to bin your premier reticle and stick in a standard Leupold reticle often against the express wishes of the scope owner.
My Mk.4 which was returned to the states after the titanic west London monsoon came back minus it's booster and reticle despite including a letter expressly stating that I wanted both the booster and reticle left in place.

#6 NeilMac

NeilMac
  • 2,980 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, horses, cycling, archery
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Somerset

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

Prior to my ownership, my Competition was sent to the previous Leupold service agent in Germany who installed a No.27 type reticle, so this could be very good news. 

#7 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

Prior to my ownership, my Competition was sent to the previous Leupold service agent in Germany who installed a No.27 type reticle, so this could be very good news.

Which is exactly what I have as well, if they can do that and the lifetime warranty then happy days indeed. Of course the way things are going we're probably going to need an export licence for Germany as well...:rolleyes:

#8 GaryB

GaryB
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

I have a No27 in my x35 and I had many emails back and forth with Viking / Leupold getting them to confirm that the only reason they'd take it out is if they broke it during the service and at that point I'd get a call / email asking what ret I wanted in it.  Hoping it doesn't break I assume they mean from their standard range of rets, cross or cross with dot.  I'll cross that bridge if I come to it but in fairness I like the target dot in my x40 so would probably just go with another.

#9 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

They don't 'break' the reticles as part of the service, they simply remove it and bin it as it's not their part. 

One of the reasons why they'd never get my scope after the fun and games with my Mk.4

#10 Monty

Monty
  • 7 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Hampshire, Southampton

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

Good to know that Germany will be up and running again, I really should send my comp with the sticky top turret off and hopefully it'll be Haralds old mob.  Should be a slicker turnaround as the issue with the US is the need to get an export licence for goods that are deemed 'prohibited for export' which can take a week or so as it's not a generic bit of paper but it references serial numbers and model and is specific for the individual scope.  Can't remember the exact criteria but pretty much every rifle scope over 6 mag (or summat like that) needs an export licence before it can be exported from the USA as they are deemed as being suitable for military use.  This even applies if you visit the USA, buy a scope and hand carry out it in your luggage.  If you get caught on the way out it can carry a prison sentence or fine but I think in most instances it's confiscated without compensation and you're sent on your way if it's for personal use.  I think it was Cabella that got caught out a few years ago with a big shipment without licences and got fined almost $1m and there are a few instances of Canadians nipping over the border to buy stuff and losing their new scopes on their return.

On the Prem boosts and rets it's been widely published elsewhere for years that Leupold honour warranties on scopes that have been changed by Premier but they will always return it 100% Leupold, i.e. without the Premier stuff but they will maintain a non standard Leupold ret only if it was fitted by Leupold (and has been recorded against the serial number) and is still available, so I'm always surprised it's a surprise.  I think this is pretty generous, for pretty much every other company I can think of this would invalidate the warranty.  I doubt that AA would provide full warranty support and provide a new replacement for an FTP900 that's had an ISP reg fitted or Anschutz replace a 12ft/lb non factory converted 9015 with the additional non factory work replicated or refitted?  Removing anti tamper usually invalidates a rifle warranty so to allow a 3rd party to do major rework on your scopes and still honour the warranty (albeit minus the 3rd party components which may no longer be available anyway and if they are could incur additional cost to Leupold for both for the parts and the non standard work/training etc. required to make sure they're done correctly) seems pretty reasonable. 

Just one of the perils of having kit modified by a 3rd party, you're usually stuck without comprehensive warranty cover.  The OEM warrants the kit as sold, the modifier warrants the work they perform (but not the base item) but this often invalidates the OEM warranty so all you now have is a warranty on about 10 new parts with a value of £200 on your £3k rifle or £2k scope. 

#11 holly

holly

holly

• 24,155 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

When i sent my 20=50 back after it was damaged . it came back as expected as a 8.5 to 25 long range . they had fitted a new body and erector mech . charge £ 93 dollars . cos of that i y was really a brand new scope . i got £ 600 for it . ??? HOLLY

PS only slightly less than for a good 20=50 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users