AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Barrel manufacturing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DTM

DTM
  • 152 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dyfed

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

I decided to replace a .22 barrel with a .177 item. I have some spare barrels so decided to give them a bit of a polish to remove surface -rubbish-.

When cleaning up the ends of one of the barrels ( an old 24" BSA item) I noticed that the rifling seems to be contained in a thin barrel (8mm) and extra steel put around it to make the thin barrel up to 16mm.  Hammer forge marks are visible on the outer. Is this normal? i have a 19.5" weirauch and a 28" walther barrel and they seem to be made of one peice of steel. No sign of inserts. Can anyone enlighten me? 

#2 hmangphilly

hmangphilly
  • 11 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dorset

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:35 AM

fad05b5cfd6210b4a22fe8739e8dec9b.png

#3 DTM

DTM
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

That's the one :) Mine's harder to discern the join, more a discolouration but still noticeable. 

#4 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Super Admin
  • 4,176 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio, building electronic equipment.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffordshire

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:12 PM

I bet Jon will have the answer!

DaveL

#5 Jon

Jon
  • 5,824 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffs

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:48 AM

That's the ones with a liner people vigorously say don't exist on a certain forum and your slammed.

Some rifles you can groove/part and the outer in to the liner and it will come away ie Steyr. Never heard of a presentable barrel for accuracy.

Was this sold as a blank from either of two shops the last 5 years labelled as BSA barrels.  

No idea whether these are fitted to current rifles or recently changed back to, proper BSA are made in Brum but no idea whether there was a break.

Face the end off and will always see the join, the liners put inside a tube and essentially crimped leaving the cold hammer forge shallow markings around 2 thou deep . There may be areas where little or no crimping contacting the liner over its length, had one could hear the liner rattle inside outer mid way.

#6 DTM

DTM
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

I got the barrel from john Bowkett, he was clearing out some "old stock".  Pushing a pellet through seems smooth enough except the last ½ inch where the choke is. Going to be interesting to see what the accuracy is like :)

Edited by DTM, 12 October 2016 - 01:26 PM.

#7 Jon

Jon
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:36 PM

To clear things up some one who is not a member on here has asked the question direct.

I have seen the email and the response from BSA is that the above barrel was never made that way.

#8 hmangphilly

hmangphilly
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

To clear things up some one who is not a member on here has asked the question direct.

I have seen the email and the response from BSA is that the above barrel was never made that way.

whassat Jon ? 

The barrel in my  pic ? 

bsa are saying it,s not one of theirs ?

#9 Jon

Jon
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:33 PM

Correct.

Shops sold as BSA when apparently not.

#10 Darron

Darron
  • 1,026 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands, Walsall

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

That's a CZ barrell

#11 Jon

Jon
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:37 PM

CZ are from solid not two piece as picky above.

Looks like a groove there will be another the other end as well, thought I was seeing things first time seen one some years back. Faced it off and the lookalike groove got larger, start parting off down to 8mm diameter and the outer tube comes away. Its a liner inside an outer tube crimped/cold hammer forged together no more than 2 thou, tubes not that accurate so will have areas of no crimping along the length. From memory the liners around 8mm dia and above picky looks about that.

#12 hmangphilly

hmangphilly
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

Correct.

Shops sold as BSA when apparently not.

cheeky .!!!!

last time i looked they had stopped doing them 

f85f2a1ce47aa5145d44a486b01699aa.png

#13 hmangphilly

hmangphilly
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

That's a CZ barrell

Bought 2 as bsa Darron 

Mildly miffed if Jon is correct . ( suspect he is )   :(

#14 Jon

Jon
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

I don't want to post up on an open forum an email that was not directly sent to me.

The blanks don't come with any markings like 2nd post above, that would be for or off a finished rifle and removed.

Unless things have changed the last few years the only markings seen on any blanks from all producers has been at one end only showing the direction. Match grade and selected will have additional markings on muzzle anything from two to five letters.

Hmang ask what Conor thinks he has a knock off for a Steyr. The one he won the Worlds 2011 was a genuine BSA.

Received another email today from a reputable established person now retired and it ties in nicely about the time these inferior two piece barrels came out.

Bottom line these shops/people selling as BSA when its denied by the producer they ever produced this way. Have my own thoughts what they are and could be a grey area going back nearly 6 years when first encountered. Theyre also longer than genuine BSA barrel blanks I used to have the .174's.

#15 hmangphilly

hmangphilly
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:17 PM

I don't want to post up on an open forum an email that was not directly sent to me.

The blanks don't come with any markings like 2nd post above, that would be for or off a finished rifle and removed.

Unless things have changed the last few years the only markings seen on any blanks from all producers has been at one end only showing the direction. Match grade and selected will have additional markings on muzzle anything from two to five letters.

Hmang ask what Conor thinks he has a knock off for a Steyr. The one he won the Worlds 2011 was a genuine BSA.

Received another email today from a reputable established person now retired and it ties in nicely about the time these inferior two piece barrels came out.

Bottom line these shops/people selling as BSA when its denied by the producer they ever produced this way. Have my own thoughts what they are and could be a grey area going back nearly 6 years when first encountered. Theyre also longer than genuine BSA barrel blanks I used to have the .174's.

jon , both pics above were of the same blank .

1 of 2 blanks bought as bsa blanks 600mm 

they were deffo not a finished barrel off a rifle  as you can see in the first pic , that is the choked end and would have been the crown .

there's a discussion over on stb about bsa barrel QC ............but surely they wouldn't have let that out as a finished crown 

#16 Jon

Jon
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

I hoped it wouldn't be the case someones telling porkies.

Can confirm some genuine should we say, one piece from solid have had BSA stamped on them as a blank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users