AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Important Announcement!

The Christmas theme is now active.
If you do not see any changes simply scroll to the very bottom of the page and look for Change Theme, located very bottom left. Click on that link and select the Christmas theme.

Photo

Airgunforum, what future?

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#271 mad mike

• 3,435 posts
  • Interests:Real Ale.Airguns.Lusting.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Derbyshire

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:31 PM

And their lays part of the problem...you have interpreted my actions as anti...you don't know me either so how do YOU know I haven't offered any help..i'm NOT having a "snipe" from the side-lines so your observations are wrong.

IF you are a contributor to another forum & it's successful why not offer a little time to help this one out...it cost's nowt only your time/knowledge...out of interest what forum do you run..?

#272 NatS

• 1,111 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Suffolk

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

He's not just a contributor, he runs it and has already explained it's rather time consuming.

#273 mad mike

• 3,435 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

He's not just a contributor, he runs it and has already explained it's rather time consuming.

What is..it...Nat....?

I'm guessing Rob also run's another forum..?

Between you all can you co run this one...please..?

#274 SteveC200

• 607 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

What is..it...Nat....?

I'm guessing Rob also run's another forum..?

Between you all can you co run this one...please..?

What it is doesnt matter, his time is taken up with his forum so no time for this one.

I dont know why you are so bothered about this forum ending, apart from the recent bout of posts on this thread you haven't posted anything since May and before that February. So you are hardly the life and soul of this forum you so desperately want to keep going. Its like moaning about your local pub closing because of it making a loss when you haven't been inside it for 6 months.

#275 mad mike

• 3,435 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

Believe me I do my bit for the local pubs...

Is it just me that thinks a fair few posters (except me) seem happy that this forum closes/fails...I would have thought positive thoughts & posts would be better than negative ones like yours...so far on this thread you have had guys willing to chip in with possible funding/tec help & moderation..the owner wants to pass it on & is willing to help with transition..you are berating my input & suggesting other's have the knowledge but are too busy..do you have an answer.?

My efforts are genuine & wanting to help whether I have 3,000+ posts or 600 like yourself...

#276 SteveC200

• 607 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

are berating my input & suggesting other's have the knowledge but are too busy..do you have an answer.?

My efforts are genuine & wanting to help whether I have 3,000+ posts or 600 like yourself...

You dont appear to have done anything useful though. Much like myself. The difference being that I'm not really bothered if this forum closes whereas you appear to be but won't or can't do anything about it apart from suggest that someone else should do something.

#277 mad mike

• 3,435 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:56 AM

are berating my input & suggesting other's have the knowledge but are too busy..do you have an answer.?

You dont appear to have done anything useful though. Much like myself. The difference being that I'm not really bothered if this forum closes whereas you appear to be but won't or can't do anything about it apart from suggest that someone else should do something.

There's the difference..I do care..I've offered help with possible funding...that's the limit of my capabilities..that's not my fault i'm from a different era of technology (old f@rt)& don't have the tec knowledge.

#278 SuffolkRifle

• 1,154 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

There's the difference..I do care..I've offered help with possible funding...that's the limit of my capabilities..that's not my fault i'm from a different era of technology (old f@rt)& don't have the tec knowledge.

Here's a 'positive thought & post'

GET OFF YOUR DUFF AND TAKE IT ON! 

Know nothing about running a forum? LEARN!

I did - the hard way - by setting up a forum & learning by my mistakes - 9+ years on and it's now got over 1,200 active members (one of the Admin takes the 'non-active' members out, otherwise we'd have over 12,000 members 'on the books'), 1/4 million posts, 20,000+ topics (bit on the 'low' side, but we use auto-prune on some sections of the forum so if nothing is posted to the topic for 2/3 months the topic goes).

Age is NOT a reason not to learn - several of the mods & Admins on 'my' forum are 70+, they've learnt & do a -covered in gore- good job, in fact, often a better job than some youngsters especially in dispute situations, as they have life experience. Yes, our 'Tech Admin' is a young chap, but I believe that DaveL & John B has offered tech support, so you need not worry about that side of things. So long as you can read the screen & work a keyboard, have a bit of common sense, a fairly thick skin & don't take offence easily, see others points of view, able to accept criticism and not let it get under your skin, anyone can do it - if they have a few hours a day (helps a lot if you have a 'good team' round you as well though)

#279 mad mike

• 3,435 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Too old Suffolk...& I believe there are guys on here who are younger & up to date with what's happening airgun wise...i'm an old school collector.I must commend you on your success though it sounds like you have worked hard & created something to be rightly proud of.

This is a fully functioning up & running forum & in mho has a lot of kudos..I just hope the right "team" take it on.

#280 SuffolkRifle

• 1,154 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

Are we still

......................................standing around with our hands in our pockets stamping our feet to keep warm .................................

or has something been sorted/decided?

#281 mad mike

• 3,435 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

I too hope something is being talked about/decided..in the mean time...could you provide me with contact details of your forum Suffolk..?

#282 PelletOnPellet

• 129 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South Yorkshire

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

I too hope something is being talked about/decided..in the mean time...could you provide me with contact details of your forum Suffolk..?

Why do you keep trying to push peoples buttons?

#283 mad mike

• 3,435 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

Why do you keep trying to push peoples buttons?

Completely lost me there fella,,???

Suffolk has said he runs another forum...i'm interested in shooting forums..simples..

#284 Matt

• 1,572 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:13 PM

Right cards on table, I'm willing to be involved with the trying to move the forum forward. Ive provisionally asked two people to be involved but they gave the knock back - I understand why so will leave that there.

Anyway for me my reasons for wanting to keep this forum running is that even though I don't post very often I like the fact the forum is like a club whilst not actually being at a club. I like the fact threads go way off topic then return back and do on and do forth - I never used to get this but I do now and I like the fact holly rambles on a bit (just don't tell him).

So anyway, what I'm saying is I'll give it a shot but I'll need help to move the forum forward - I have some ideas for changes but it needs help from others.

So I've been talking to John about it and he is prepared to continue to host it and I'm hopeful Dave can continue hosting the domain if not I can sort that out (I think). Things may not always run smooth but life never does.

So there you go if you can help please let me know.

Matt

#285 Jon

• 6,001 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffs

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:03 PM

Looks like we have a taker subject to the conditions.

Matt fair play I have known you for decades and what i regard as genuine, wish you the very best however daunting, count me in you will have my full support.

#286 holly

holly

• 24,431 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

Well i do hope this works out OK Matt . good luck . ??? HOLLY

#287 Matt

• 1,572 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

Holly,

It'll only work if people want it to work, I need help to run it, I've asked two who have declined to help so will move on to asking two others.

I've mentioned to John about a few changes, have asked if he could continue to host it until we see if the forum has any future at all.

Will see what happens.

Matt

#288 holly

holly

• 24,431 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

Well fingers crossed Matt ??? HOLLY

#289 Matt

• 1,572 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:32 PM

Just to keep people informed:

* I've asked John and Dave with help to keep the forum running for the short term - long term wise if things work out I'd look to migrate to a seperate server and domain hosting - save them the hassle.

* I've asked John to see about re-organising the forum a little also maybe update to newer software version.

* I've also asked John and Dave about tutoring me on how to keep things ticking over until I learn what to do or people step forward to help the forum out.

So there you go, it may take a while for this to happen...

Matt

#290 mad mike

• 3,435 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:50 PM

Well done Matt...good luck.

#291 holly

holly

• 24,431 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

Good effort Matt HOLLY

#292 Matt

• 1,572 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

Just a heads up weve, well dave, has applied to update the forum this however means a cost.

I've said I will cover costs for this so just need an idea as for time involved.

The changes to the forum john reckons is not too major, so again this will hopefully take place in the not too distant future.

If there's anything you guys want to see on here just shout - let's see if we can bring the forum back to life.

Matt

P.s. if your at your club drop the forum name serif we can get a few new members.

#293 holly

holly

• 24,431 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

will do matt ??? HOLLY

#294 mad mike

• 3,435 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

What about a cake section Matt..?

#295 Matt

• 1,572 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:26 PM

Why not Mike, though I was kinda hoping if the classic ft shoot went ahead we could have a classic cake section there, along with how to make the perfect cup of tea?

Matt

#296 mad mike

• 3,435 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:42 PM

Nice one Matt.

#297 SuffolkRifle

• 1,154 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

........ how to make the perfect cup of tea?

Matt

Forever an argument, however, I have put forward at several times, the method that I have got listed on my forum, which dates from approximately 1900 (i.e.Victorian times) - note that tea bags do not come into the equation, but it does require fresh spring water and an open fire to warm the tea pot

#298 mad mike

• 3,435 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Why did Eaton & Neilmac bail out...?

#299 Matt

• 1,572 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:17 PM

Well we're having a few fun and games getting the forum upgraded - just want to say a public thanks to John and Dave, really appreciate the effort.

As soon as we know more I'll post back here keeping everyone informed.

Matt

#300 holly

holly

• 24,431 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:34 PM

Cheers Matt 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users