AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Non mechanical regulator

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tonybubb

tonybubb
  • Member.
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Model Engineering especially airguns
    Shooting generally
    Hot air ballooning
    Vintage and modern sports cars
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Sussex

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:29 AM

Haven't visited this forum for a while but still continuing my home workshop R&D airgun experiments. Having two workshops in different countries and commuting between the two makes things difficult but at least being in Spain I can experiment with higher powers than UK without needing a RFD.
Had to leave a nearly completed Rifle project in UK so have returned to an old shelved project to convert a .177 BSA Ultra to a hammerless self resetting action.
My next step is to fit an infinitely adjustable regulator using a gas spring. This is a new design of my own that is tried and tested and is about as non mechanical as is possible. But I have recently learnt that John Bowkett has a non mechanical regulator that sounds very similar. I can't find out how it works. Does any one know? Jon perhaps?
Tony

#2 Darron

Darron
  • 1,120 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands, Walsall

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:00 PM

You need to contact this forums technical guru Holly on here he is sure to know

#3 DTM

DTM
  • 174 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dyfed

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

Don't you mean he's sure to have an opinion?  :Barfly:

#4 tonybubb

tonybubb
  • Member.
  • 519 posts
    Shooting generally
    Hot air ballooning

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

Don't you mean he's sure to have an opinion?  :Barfly:

He may be interested if the project comes to fruition as my object is to build something that will equal the GC2 in consistency without the complication, muzzle blast and low shot count. I could even make it semi automatic if that were allowed.
Tony

#5 Jon

Jon
  • 5,983 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffs

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:25 AM

Best of luck Tony theres very very few about that are doing any R&D at all, keep it to yourself or they will copy, change its name take the credit and the dosh.

Gas ram types are subject to ever changing temps original design and last 3rd to develop John Alcock in 1983. What that means is power will be up and down subject to temp used in and why most junked the NJR late 80's 4 parts to make.

The mechanical ones two types first by three days was the Barry McGraw 1983 he got nothing out of it as used by Welham later by Korrik, AA, Steyr, Feinwerkau, Tesro, Pardini to name a few.

Three days later Mick Dawes 1983 he got nothing out of it either. Semi balanced reg still used today by ISP 92, myself 92, NM 98, BSA 96, Walther and Anchutz from 98 just the threads used and valve sealing changed.

#6 tonybubb

tonybubb
  • Member.
  • 519 posts
    Shooting generally
    Hot air ballooning

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:48 PM

Thanks Jon.
I can't use a semi balanced regulator as it does not give an absolutely constant output pressure. My valve system Is so sensitive to regulator pressure that even a change of 50 psi during exhaustion of the main reservoir would be unacceptable. My solution is to use an unbalanced gas spring with the pressure of the gas in the spring being almost the same as the desired output pressure. It is also manually adjustable during use so that the output pressure can be adjusted using a built in pressure gauge. This would take account of possible temperature changes. The power output is directly proportional to the regulator pressure so the maximum regulator pressure would need to limited for sub 12ft/lb.
Tony

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users