AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

What happened up at the pig farm ? ( GP2 )

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 holly

holly

holly

• 22,816 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

So who did and who did not put in the big ones ??? HOLLY

#2 C.Eaton

C.Eaton
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:FT shooting, in fact shooting in general :)
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Hockley, Essex, UK

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

Jeez give them a chance 'Olly, the M4's probably a nightmare.... smile.gif

QUOTE(holly @ Sun Apr 15 2007, 19:44) View Post

So who did and who did not put in the big ones ??? HOLLY

#3 robF

robF
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

i saw dop go off with some shiny... smile.gif

#4 Guest_deepdiver_*

Guest_deepdiver_*

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

Stuart 43
Dop 42
James Osbourn + me + two others 41 (James beat me in the shoot off for third)
Barry got a second in A?

#5 holly

holly

holly

• 22,816 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:03 PM

Must have been easy shooting ??? HOLLY

#6 theodopperless

theodopperless
  • 754 posts
  • Location:witham near chelmsford on the way to colchester in essex of the south east region of england part of the united kingdom

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(holly @ Sun Apr 15 2007, 22:03) View Post

Must have been easy shooting ??? HOLLY

jerk.gif

#7 HotShot

HotShot
  • 802 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South Yorkshire

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:09 AM

Sounds like a few people failed the chrono sad.gif

#8 Guest_deepdiver_*

Guest_deepdiver_*

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:28 AM

I'm not sure how many did fail the chrono - but there was a strong feeling that they should not, after traveling considerable distances, be dismissed for a mechanical failure.

No-one's trying to cheat!

There needs to be a better system.

Everybody should get the opportunity to test their gun with an official chrono before the shoot and have the chance to turn it down if its running hot.

Ian Finley (Duhh... I mean of course Ian Taylor! Sorry.) suggested a yellow card should be given and second failure would see the offender thrown off. This seems to me to be a good idea.

Chris

Edited by deepdiver, 16 April 2007 - 07:54 AM.

#9 TREV

TREV
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:38 AM

chris luv i think you will find his names ian taylor,you have two halves of great shots to together there smile.gif

#10 Guest_deepdiver_*

Guest_deepdiver_*

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE(TREV @ Mon Apr 16 2007, 08:38) View Post

chris luv i think you will find his names ian taylor,you have two halves of great shots to together there smile.gif

Sorry - brain's in need of a service!

#11 theodopperless

theodopperless
  • 754 posts
  • Location:witham near chelmsford on the way to colchester in essex of the south east region of england part of the united kingdom

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(deepdiver @ Mon Apr 16 2007, 08:28) View Post

I'm not sure how many did fail the chrono - but there was a strong feeling that they should not
Chris

why? some people turned up at the chrono running 820 fps odd. thats over 12ft lb and is worth a five stretch.
what excuse are they gonna use to the judge? " im sorry ive got an illegal firearm your honour but it was a sunny day and i was expecting rain" i dont know for sure but i would suspect the people that were over are probably trying to run their guns at 794 fps. i set mine up at 780 which is clearly too high as i went through at 797/788 and am going to turn it down this afternoon. the good news is my jennie didnt get thrown off this time!!
dop

#12 Guest_davros_*

Guest_davros_*

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE(theodopperless @ Mon Apr 16 2007, 08:56) View Post

why? some people turned up at the chrono running 820 fps odd. thats over 12ft lb and is worth a five stretch.
what excuse are they gonna use to the judge? " im sorry ive got an illegal firearm your honour but it was a sunny day and i was expecting rain" i dont know for sure but i would suspect the people that were over are probably trying to run their guns at 794 fps. i set mine up at 780 which is clearly too high as i went through at 797/788 and am going to turn it down this afternoon. the good news is my jennie didnt get thrown off this time!!
dop

Thanks Dop, thats saved me a repy:-)

I too was a little close to what I deem a 'safe' level - and my home chrono confirmed this - my own laziness, but needless to say it is recitified now. Glad to the Jen 'the rocket' Stone got through:-)

Lee 'Dr. Plumber' H

#13 Guest_deepdiver_*

Guest_deepdiver_*

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:22 AM

I can't speak for the law, but with the overcrowding in our prisons, a "five stretch" might be thought to be a bit excessive.

Although the police can confiscate the rifle, and prosecute the (ex) owner. Had Mr. Plod been running the chrono - one would hope that they would show a bit of discretion. After all, they are not faced with an armed gang of criminals (are they?).

No. These are honest, clear eyed, sports persons. Who, perhaps not being mechanical geniuses, like yourself, are alarmed, shocked and dismayed to find that their expensive match rifle goes up and down like an Essex ladies drawers.

These are clear eyed sports persons who may feel less like traveling hundreds of miles next time.

#14 Clunkersark

Clunkersark
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(deepdiver @ Mon Apr 16 2007, 08:28) View Post

Everybody should get the opportunity to test their gun with an official chrono before the shoot and have the chance to turn it down if its running hot.

Chris

Were people not allowed to put their guns over the chrono before the start just to check everything was ok ?

Clarky

#15 loopyloo

loopyloo
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:shooting,animals,logic games and puzzles

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

yes i believe they were

my gun never seems to waiver from 778 till i entered wales on a very hot sunday morning

i run over the crono at 820 bloomin heck i said and went to the car park and turned it down

i played with the crono before going to my lane just to check it said 789 well i hoped it didnt get hotter

by the time i got round to officially going through, it had cooled down and the gun was 769

I think we should crono at signing in and take what reading it says if over then no sign in till its fine

for those found twiddling in the car park after will be disqualified or if they dont get found out i hope they feel ashamed for cheating( i realise the minority here will feel no shame)but at least its still trying to make sure our guns are legal and people can sort their guns before getting on the course even if it means doing the afternoon session instead

ok i will wait for the onslaught of people say my system will not work laugh.gif

#16 robF

robF
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:20 AM

i think the argument against signing in was that it would create a log jam before the course, and that there was the possibility of it being tampered with before shooting.

i took the idea that if i got booted of 1/2 way around for being ott, then it didn't bother me...

i saw a jump at newbury of 15 fps between the 2 days, and in the hot open area on sunday i went high... i've had to rezero now...the last day of newbury i was running 799...at the GP i was running 801...

keeping her in the shade, and using the teatowel over the gun was a hassle, but it seems (touching formica) to have worked.

i tend to run mine at about 11.2

i think its probably a lot to do with guns setup in the summer...for me, i choose the route that i dont touch the power if she's ok in the summer, but i do have to rezero for different seasons...it could be the chrono caught out the people who set up in the winter?

#17 kilty

kilty
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Air Gunning, Fine Dining, Fine Wines
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

Craig and I used the chrono just before the off and we were both well inside at 760 odd.
When we went through officially we were still well inside at 760 odd.
That was a Steyr and an Anschutz.
It was "interesting" to hear one competitor being tested......" 813, 820, 769" OK.
Another one, 830, 820, 8 something, Disqualified.

Great day. I would have been gutted if Disqualified. And yes it possibly would influence whether I would go again.

My aim is 777

cheers
Barry

#18 daz ford

daz ford

Swefta Shadow.

• 1,111 posts
  • Interests:hunting,field target,and cars<br /><br />And metal fabrication.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:wiltshire

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

I think we should crono at signing in and take what reading it says if over then no sign in till its fine[/color]

Thats how it used to be done.

So long as you have 2 people at signing in, 1 to chrono and 1 to write the card.

Regards

Daz smile.gif

#19 robF

robF
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

it wouldn't bother me if i was dq'd...there is to me so much more to the events that the shooting...i often really would like to spend more time at them...i'm looking forward to bisely because i should be able to be there from start to finish and able to take some shots and have some banter...

if i was regularly being dq'd what i'd be more upset about and keen to solve is why the gun was doing that...

i think to avoid doubt, there should be something like a combro available so that 2 different chrono's tally with an OTT gun...even though it shouldn't raise any issues and it shouldnt change the dq result it might settle some people's minds that it is indeed the gun and they wont neccessarily question the course chrono.

i tend to steer away from chrono's just because i catch chronoitis easily...with 100% faith in the course chrono it really just raises the question of how do you shoot a gun day to day thats varying that much (assuming it wasnt ott off the course).

at newbury there were some that were close...i'd bet a £ that there's more dq's on hot days than cold ones... smile.gif

#20 HotShot

HotShot
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:21 PM

I heard that one of the NEFTA lads was over - he had driven down the day before and stayed in a hotel so he could shoot the GP. He is an experienced shooter and I can't believe he just turned up and hoped that his winter settings would still be fine. He managed to get through the chrono at the Inters as well (although it was warmer this weekend).

My gun has been turned down to mid 760s - that gives me 35fps to play with at Harriers + I will be checking it regularly up to the shoot smile.gif

Dave.

#21 Guest_Martz_*

Guest_Martz_*

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

1st thing i did on arrival, upon noting the heat and direct sunlight was to nick a combro and check my gun, it was a little close for my liking so i turned it down to give myself a larger margin.

Having driven 190miles there, i wasn't going to be DQ'ed over something in my control. I was leaving that treat until i was halfway home, realising my scorecard was in my pocket.

withstupid.gif

Nice weather though biggrin.gif

#22 robF

robF
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

scores are up, so we can get onto the more important answer to hols original question...smile.gif

#23 Jon

Jon
  • 5,824 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffs

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

Forgetting one important thing as proved last year and noted again yesterday twice, the difference is a lot of shooters were dq and probably were ok! 1.45 it was 16ft/sec high and around 3.30 18ft/sec high compared with seven other chronos in good lighting.
760 may not be enough, seen one fail registering 820+.

#24 holly

holly

holly

• 22,816 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

The chrono is here to stay . not perfect i know BUT neither are we ? NOW it is rather obvious that it was better to shoot at a certain time ? as deepdiver and dopper are not normally BIG winners ? so what were the conditions like on each detail ??? HOLLY

#25 kilty

kilty
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Air Gunning, Fine Dining, Fine Wines
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

Holly

Craig and I opted to shoot in the morning , we pre registered as Craig was back to school today. abiggrin.gif

We left half way through the afternoon session and to my eye, the conditions were similar to the morning.?? who knows?

The day was fantastic, you should have been there and maybe a pot would have been yours.

Dop and Chris were in good company with their respective high scores. They shot well!

I haven't yet been able to define "LUCK" as if I'm trying to hit the target and the little fecker falls over..........result.

Great idea having a toilet tent half way round for us lads....what about the ladies?????

cheers all

Barry

ps 2nd in A grade.... that's a FIRST and probably a LAST all at the same time. smile.gif

#26 HotShot

HotShot
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(Jon @ Mon Apr 16 2007, 19:07) View Post

Forgetting one important thing as proved last year and noted again yesterday twice, the difference is a lot of shooters were dq and probably were ok! 1.45 it was 16ft/sec high and around 3.30 18ft/sec high compared with seven other chronos in good lighting.

Well Jon - all I can do is run my gun mid 760 and test regularly on my own and club chronos. Then test it on arrival at the comp. If it then fails during the comp and I am kicked off and face the long drive home I can justify my never bothering to turn up again at a GP. There would be little point.

I haven't failed a chrono yet - so hopefully I won't have to worry awink.gif

Edited by HotShot, 16 April 2007 - 06:57 PM.

#27 holly

holly

holly

• 22,816 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

I'm not worried kilty . the word on the street was that all the chancers were going to wales . the big one will be harriers . and the good news is that old clarky is not just on fire but is incandescent ? me i am quite happy to do my 4 or 5 GPs qualify for the showdown and do as many opens as i can get to . why cos the opens are the life blood of the air rifle clubs .bit of excitement for em . working together and such . yep i love em ??? HOLLY doh.gif thumb.gif

#28 AndyIoW

AndyIoW
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:15 PM

I have always kept my rifles running near the 11ft lb mark just to allow for any hot weather. Inters weekend through the chrono at 768ps(temp guage read 15 DegC) , my club chrono 770fps, my chrono 765fps, GP1 chrono 782fps(temp guage read 30 degC). I will turn it down bit more so that I am at least a bit more of a safety margin.

My other rifle that was being used on Sunday also ran 12fps higher than the club chrono, so I would say in hot weather it will run higher,I just need a set of mark on the scope for hot and cold temps rolleyes.gif

IMO, the emphasis is on the competitor to ensure that thier rifle conforms, the opportunity exists to check the rifle over the chrono before the start. If I do fail the chrono then I will take it on the chin as they say and learn from the error.

Back to the shooting at GP1, I enjoyd the course but not that silly wind can we have the gale forces back for next year please abiggrin.gif smile.gif . The other club member that shot hit 9 and considering its his first GP, not his rifle or scope (a 3-9x) and only started shooting 3 weeks ago he was quite chuffed and my thanks to Hugh and Pat Osbourne for showing him the ropes and putting up with him smile.gif abiggrin.gif .

See you all at GP2

#29 holly

holly

holly

• 22,816 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:14 PM

Andy , 9 . that must have been BAZZA on one of his good days ? what have you done with the old fa-t ??? HOLLY

#30 robF

robF
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(Jon @ Mon Apr 16 2007, 19:07) View Post

if rich had chrono'd later he would have been dq'd...we found out tonight the reg is failing and as the pressure drops in the bottle the speed goes through the roof.

i'm wondering if jumps of 60 fps could be rigs failing like that also...its difficult to tell, rich said he was taking less wind in a practice session, a lot less...but had to refill and then started having to give a lot more...we think it was starting to let go perhaps 2 days before.

thing is, how many chrono in the middle of a fill or a hot course...probably only the really dedicated...if you dont see a shift, you assume all is well...hitting high? scope, temp, rangefinding...wind up a bank etc...get the gun back, fill up, fine...or running 20fps hot...but you havent seen the full range over the fill in the heat to see if at some point the heat is causing a huge jump...just your luck if its your turn.

i reckon a 2nd make, say a combro for peace of mind of all would be a good step...if 2 chrono's say the same thing, what would be said then?

i still reckon it would bother me more why the gun did it than getting dq'd...yep its a long way to drive, but i could spend the rest of the session bouncing flicking stones at the other teams abiggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users