AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

lightweight air pistol - target

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_debi_*

Guest_debi_*

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

Hi

as per my wanted ad..need advise on which air pistols are best for a 10 year old girl to use whom is doing penthathlon competitions. This is a 10metre target shoot with a compressed air, single shot pistol. I have heard about twinmaster all rounder and a lp2 compact but need advise if I should be looking out for any other makes/models that are the same type of spec.

thanks a confused mum new to all of this !

#2 Rutty

Rutty
  • 78 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Midlands

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

A good start if you can find one is the FAS 604. One of the problems that juniors face is not just the the weight of the pistol but the reach to the trigger. The FAS is good in this respect as it is not only one of the lighter pistols but has a well placed trigger for smaller hands. Another point in its favour is that they usually sell for 125-175. Now the minuses, they are no longer made and FAS has gone out of business. That makes spares a bit problematical, but they do tend to be reilable and the parts that usually need replacing, the seals, can be sourced fairly easily and are not difficult to replace.

The Steyr LP2 is an excellent pistol, but comes at a considerable price, as you probably already realise. There are other "light weight" versions on offer from many manufacturers. To get a reasonable overview you could look on the Edenkillie Website. The owner of the company is a National Coach and would be a good source of advice.

Only available through the importers is the Aeron ACZ Spider Junior. It is certainly worth considering.

There are other sources of advice that are freely available. If you contact the National Smallbore Rifle Association they will be able to put you in touch (hopefully) with clubs in your area that shoot target air pistol. Then there is also the Stirton Forum. You will need to register to gain access, but I feel that you would find it a useful place to put your questions.

Finally, if at all possible, try before you buy.

As a footnote, your daughter is starting out on a path that could lead to some suprising places. Have a look where it lead for another member of the Pony Club who is now a member of our rifle club.

Rutty

#3 peter5761

peter5761

Quarnford Airgunner Buxton

• 356 posts
  • Interests:Metal detecting
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Macclesfield

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:08 AM

"they are no longer made and FAS has gone out of business."

Incorrect, a google search for "fasdomino" you will get the exporters of FAS pistols,
they still make a range of pistols, I just re-sealed my Nephews 604 last week.

I can offer one for sale if anyone is interested, its

140 + 8 postage RMSD

its also on Airgunbbs

Attached Files

Edited by peter5761, 26 January 2009 - 12:11 AM.

#4 Mike95

Mike95
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Taken up the airgun again after 40 years due to rats in the garden. Started with a QB78, moved on to Gamo 440 and Webley Longbow. Also acquired a Webley Nemesis pistol and joined a local target club.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

Problem will be grip size for a 10 year old. I am sure I read somewhere that the Gamo pneumatic single shot was used in youngsters comps? A small 10 year old might have problems in cocking the single shot pneumatics, however. Obvious question but what are the other youngsters using in the comps?

If it must be a pcp the Rohm is about your only reasonably priced gun. If CO2 is allowed, the Tau is excellent but the grip might be too big for a youngster.

Mike95

#5 Rutty

Rutty
  • 78 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Midlands

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

Incorrect, a google search for "fasdomino" you will get the exporters of FAS pistols,
they still make a range of pistols, I just re-sealed my Nephews 604 last week.

Thank you, I stand corrected.

Rutty

#6 Guest_mickson_*

Guest_mickson_*

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:44 AM

Drulov lov21 is a co2 powered pistol very light, and designed for youngsters...Mickson...

#7 yana

yana
  • Member.
  • 511 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Zuid-Holland

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

Pitty yr not considering CO2; the Tau 7 junior is a very small but VERY accurate pistol!

#8 Guest_DONFRAMAC_*

Guest_DONFRAMAC_*

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:00 AM

Try Mr Clevely at checkmateguns, Chorley, as he has a new FAS AP 604, and can service them.
Tel. 01257 260132/ 07773455561.
Contact http://www.dominoguns by Email, and you may be able to get one of the small-size grips. ( newest ones are laminated, not solid hardwood.)

Edited by DONFRAMAC, 30 August 2009 - 03:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users