AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hatsan Breaker 900X

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 itsray

itsray
  • 18 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Leicestershire

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

Anyone taken the plastic and very ugly silencer/moderator off this model? If so how?

Is it an interference fit or glued?

I have now given it a full overhaul and fitted a full Delrin tune up kit including a PTFE cylinder liner which has made this 'cheapo' into a respectable, accurate and smooth action rifle with little recoil. It's that silencer that spoils the appearance and probably the muzzle sound level.

Cheers

#2 itsray

itsray
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:19 AM

:poster_oops: Now for the sad news;

Why in hells name did they opt to use a system that prevents the changing of a the moderator system? The moderator removal first requires that the end cap of the moderator be removed by prising it out using a caliber specific diameter drift and then removal of the baffles. You then use a 19mm socket (3/8" drive) on a long extension to unscrew the moderator retaining nut that secures it to the barrel. After that hassle the moderator then has to be forced off the barrel (which is splined) and a very tight fit too. There are also 2 thick steel washers, one inside and one outside to reinforce the security of the plastic moderator.

I am now considering buying a Striker 1000s barrel which is the same but does not have a moderator fitted and of which the front sight is a far simpler fit. After that a barrel adapter to suit with a 1/2" UNF female thread on which to put my own choice of moderator.

Little wonder that this 900X is so cheap to buy and has been spoilt by the lack of care and poor design. No doubt the incorporated moderator will be seen as a benefit by many but in reality it is not very efficient and looks cheap and nasty when compared to the standard Walnut stained Beech stock.

I will add more when I get the new barrel  adapter and moderator fitted.

My advice.....considering that the Striker 1000S uses the same action apart from the cocking link arm, (only the stock is plastic, the barrel is fitted with an easily removed foresight and it does not have a moderator included) give this 900X a wide berth and add a bit more to buy a rifle that can be more easily modded. Wish I had bought the Striker 1000S and bought the wood stock as a spare part!

Isn't  hindsight a wonderful thing....

Edited by itsray, 15 September 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#3 itsray

itsray
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

:lol2:  Had a brainwave and instead of the extra expenses of buying a spare barrel to modify I grabbed the bull by the horns and had a go myself. I cut off (by lathe) the reduced end of the barrel that the moderator assemby used and crowned and polished the barrel end then re-blued the end for protection. I then fitted a slip on (very close fit) 16mm barrel adapter using Loctite 262 to secure it and re-assembled the rifle. After allowing the Loctite to cure for a few minutes I screwed on a Deben Whisper 180 moderator and test shot it. The quietness was remarkable and way lower than the original plastic rubbish that Hatsan fitted.

More importantly the accuracy of the shortened barrel has made no difference to its original accuracy, the test grouping is the same at 30m. I have yet to chrono it to see if the power levels have altered.

The only slightly negative note is that without the length of the additional moderator it is fractionally harder to cock, however being a man I still found it very easy, but mine has had a full overhaul and a PTFE kit installed. For rifles without the tune up kit and women or youngsters it may be far harder to cock and harsher to shoot.

Fuil,range test on Friday to see what it now performs like.

:amen:

#4 CapitalBee

CapitalBee
  • 1 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Herefordshire

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for posting this. I've a 900x and found it an accurate air rifle, if a little unrefined. I've added a longer M3 screw to the trigger adjustment to alter trigger break and lubed it, but little else. I plan to go the delrin route, but am interested in the moderator removal (you're right, it is rather ugly)

#5 itsray

itsray
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

Hi CapitalBee, if you fancy doing it you will like the results, definitely.

Tested on the range and the power levels were unaffected at 11.20. The accuracy at 35m was about as tight as I could hope for given the cheapness of the model I paid 50 notes for new.

All in all I am pleased with the work I have done.

Once a new moderator is fitted there is no difference to the cocking effort at all with a stumpy moderator. A longer one will make it easier though.

Just follow the instructions in my previous post.

The delrin tune up kit (£20.00 inclusive )was from TinBum tuning;

http://www.airrifletuning.com

07545 147459

Edited by itsray, 17 November 2015 - 01:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users