AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

FTP900 firing cycle time mod?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Darron

Darron
  • 1,120 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands, Walsall

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hi my FTP shoots fantastic groups at 50yds when bench rested, as good as i could expect from any rifle. When i shoot off the bag and as expected the groups open up (whos doesnt hey?). What has become clear is that to perform well with the FTP your technique especially follow through must be perfect (yes i know it should be good whatever rifle you shoot) but the more i get used to my FTP the more it is clear that the cycle or lock time is remarkably slow to other rifles i have used (GC2, Ripley etc). My question is has any body modified there FTP to over come this? shorter hammer stroke, stronger spring? i dont know.

Thanks

#2 Jon

Jon
  • 5,983 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffs

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

Had a butchers at Ians twice, to do so will be opening a can of worms.

Theres preset positions in the hammer and cocking that have to be met, so modding or making new hammer 8mm longer at front with extra 8mm cocking clearance there wont be anything forward of closed cocking lever position up to the valve.

If do other way cocking position on hammer will be further forward and not fire off.

There is a way but wouldnt like to say how long it will last, longer protruding valve stem and relieve front of hammer at close position.

If it were mine I would be doing hammer, spring guide, spring, cocking lever.

FTP lightish hammer, long spring but still has to travel 14.2mm with a fair whack of preload upon firing.

By any chance was you motorsport orientated needing and learning quick reactions? Most people give you a weird look and cant tell the difference ie MPV and granny doing the shopping.

Assuming above done that's only part of the sorting, RN10, EV2 mark2,3,4 and FTP same valve close quick but open slow. Where abouts in that firing cycle pellet does the biz no one knows. No1 and 2 hand made one offs pellet moved upon closing of the valve with 2.8mm stroke easy to open small valve monstrous return spring setup by feel any pellet same power. Stronger spring more power not the other way round, can show the Danly die springs used with rated values.

My JB Titan or what was left of it just the cylinder and breach block ran at 1.4mm stroke, below that couldn't get the velocity, ask Tony Wall and Mr ISP it was instant probably better than electric Daystates 15 yrs later.

Personally couldn't say whether its rifle or you, only you can but have to determine perceived from actual.

Newer Anchutz are pretty quick as at 11 years ago, having gone on to one I had to develop techinique and follow through, something never done for previous 13 years.

#3 Darron

Darron
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:34 PM

Hi Jon,

Ian had said that you had had a look and there were complications involved. To be honest i think that by perfecting my own technique and making it a consistent process will go along way, as opposed to a small reduction in lock time which would be less noticeable and not noticeable at all if the technique is wrong anyway.

The greatest help to me will be what we have planned already, i know that this will help with my positionals. I meant to ask will you be doing anything with the A/T?

I was never motorsport orientated but my father was an F1 powerboat racing driver for many years, im afraid i was born a freak lol.

see ya sunday nice and early with my fluorescent jacket!

#4 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,898 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

Jon, just to open the can of worms again, would you say there was any particular reason why AA would design the FTP with such a long stroke, surely it's obvious that you want the shortest possible with an easy opening valve, or are there other considerations.
Still surprised that after all these years no one has followed the sharp innova/ GC2 route to valving?

#5 Darron

Darron
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

Yea my GC2 of the early 90s seemed like lightning in comparison.

#6 Jon

Jon
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

Col it all comes down to R&D they never had anyone just reliant on others.

Without even stripping one down I knew exactly what they did and what used to be done with certain 100 series around 1991 to 93+ when all the rage to get as quick as possible. Logic in that one light hammer, long stroke long spring but still has to travel that distance.

When you take certain 10m rifles with hammers around 1/4 the weight and running 3.5mm stroke you will realise just how far behind they are. One you will try Friday hammer approx. 1/3 the weight, reduced stroke from memory two months ago to 4.3mm from 5.5mm.

Most people cant tell the difference between slow and quick but if you have quick reactions like a race driver or similar sports orientated it will stick out like a sore thumb in one fired shot. Similar with centrefire feels instant.

#7 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,898 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

Col it all comes down to R&D they never had anyone just reliant on others.

Without even stripping one down I knew exactly what they did and what used to be done with certain 100 series around 1991 to 93+ when all the rage to get as quick as possible. Logic in that one light hammer, long stroke long spring but still has to travel that distance.

When you take certain 10m rifles with hammers around 1/4 the weight and running 3.5mm stroke you will realise just how far behind they are. One you will try Friday hammer approx. 1/3 the weight, reduced stroke from memory two months ago to 4.3mm from 5.5mm.

Most people cant tell the difference between slow and quick but if you have quick reactions like a race driver or similar sports orientated it will stick out like a sore thumb in one fired shot. Similar with centrefire feels instant.

After trying the 9015 at the show it is apparent just how quick the lock time is in comparison with other rifles, as you say it's the difference between a flint-lock and centre fire rifle....:rolleyes. 

#8 MarkHolding

MarkHolding
  • 15 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Stapleford, Nottinghamshire

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

Its probably worth talking to Air Arms about it, as they like the feedback and can change things on future model's. They must be doing something right though, as there rifles win lots of competitions. You would think that at that level of rifle there engineering would be spot on wouldn't you.

#9 Jon

Jon
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

Might be something to do with collaring anyone who was anyone stretching back 12 years, even B graders.

How many are untouched, I would say less than 1%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users