AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#211 Matt

Matt
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

Well Darron it sounds like it is all going in the right direction . good to hear some body actually at last giving some warts and all details . up to now it has been like a sort of secret society . good luck at the GP . AA here we come ??? HOLLY

Lol.

Matt

#212 holly

holly

holly

• 22,062 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

Well Darron it sounds like it is all going in the right direction . good to hear some body actually at last giving some warts and all details . up to now it has been like a sort of secret society . good luck at the GP . AA here we come ??? HOLLY

Lol.

Matt

Well that is not very nice is it . there we are wishing Darron god speed with his new 9015 to AA . and your laughing at his efforts . charming ??? HOLLY

#213 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 9,900 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

Daz will find his own level, he can always elect to shoot in AA as we all can, but it's always better to get there by earning it, not via a shake n' bake sarge route...:grin:

#214 PelletOnPellet

PelletOnPellet
  • 27 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South Yorkshire

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

>>Speak for yourself. I can hold my cross hair on a pellet mark at 50m

I can say with 100% certainty that you can't hold a gun still enough to discern if one barrel is taking more wind than another, that's my argument. If you can do what you say, I'll bring a BR target down and £100 that says at 50m you can't 10.10 the card.

#215 NatS

NatS
  • 884 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Suffolk

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

Oooh a challenge!

#216 Piemanlarger

Piemanlarger

Awesime

• 2,370 posts
  • Interests:Ft
    Railways
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:W.Glamorgan

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

I can say 100% thats why your C grade and im AA lol

Each to their own.

#217 PelletOnPellet

PelletOnPellet
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

Each to their own.

Wave your @@@@ all you want but your deflection still doesn't address anything, as usual. There's a reason barrels are tested in a vice on not off a bag by hand, you can't measure how much wind/accurate a barrel is taking by hand simple as that because it's purely subjective, wide open to pilot error and open to confirmation bias.

#218 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

Each to their own.

...and Si goes for the goolie shot...:grin:

#219 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

Each to their own.

Wave your @@@@ all you want but your deflection still doesn't address anything, as usual. There's a reason barrels are tested in a vice on not off a bag by hand, you can't measure how much wind/accurate a barrel is taking by hand simple as that because it's purely subjective, wide open to pilot error and open to confirmation bias.

Bingo, and even then unless you can swing the barrel 180º degrees and shoot the other side in the same wind conditions and get a positive result can you say that a barrel is more or less a wind beater.

It's the same reason why they do speed runs up/down the same course within a given time frame.

#220 PelletOnPellet

PelletOnPellet
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

Bingo, and even then unless you can swing the barrel 180º degrees and shoot the other side in the same wind conditions and get a positive result can you say that a barrel is more or less a wind beater.

It's the same reason why they do speed runs up/down the same course within a given time frame.

I've been talking to Bri about it for testing batches of pellets, remove the pilot and see how good they actually are, hoping to get around to it this year.

#221 Darron

Darron
  • 978 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands, Walsall

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

Guys, my findings with the Barley twist Steyr i had against the FTP was that the non scientific ratio of 2.5 - 1 worked for me. When i sat at a target and read the wind i would say to myself "well if i was using the FTP i would aim edge of kill, but im using the Steyr so i will give it a kill" - that says to me in layman terms "The Steyr is more affected by wind than the FTP" - i dont need any test tubes or beakers to know that much.

#222 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

Guys, my findings with the Barley twist Steyr i had against the FTP was that the non scientific ratio of 2.5 - 1 worked for me. When i sat at a target and read the wind i would say to myself "well if i was using the FTP i would aim edge of kill, but im using the Steyr so i will give it a kill" - that says to me in layman terms "The Steyr is more affected by wind than the FTP" - i dont need any test tubes or beakers to know that much.

Except that it's not as simple as that mate.

The scenario you are talking about is your findings for a particular pellet at a given fps in a particular wind. Change the pellet and what happens, suddenly the poi changes and may or may not 'seem' to be better in the wind.

In simple terms it's basically where your barrel chucks the pellet at that speed and has naff all to do with the wind. :grin: 

#223 NatS

NatS
  • 884 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Suffolk

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Hehe leave the beakers and test tubes to me.

#224 Darron

Darron
  • 978 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands, Walsall

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

Except that it's not as simple as that mate.

The scenario you are talking about is your findings for a particular pellet at a given fps in a particular wind. Change the pellet and what happens, suddenly the poi changes and may or may not 'seem' to be better in the wind.

In simple terms it's basically where your barrel chucks the pellet at that speed and has naff all to do with the wind. :grin:

I can see what your saying Col and please dont take this the wrong way, i am only concerned with how my "set up performs in the wind V my other set up". If somebody was to take my barrel and put it in there rifle and use there pellets at there choice of speed i couldnt give a monkeys knob what results they get. I am not trying to say the a such and such barrel is better than another, or that FTP's need less wind than a Steyr im just saying what I KNOW to be true about my guns. In essence if i was sat on a range infront of a 50 yarder with a wind that i would give inside of edge for with the 9015 i would give 1/4 kill with the FTP and a Full kill with the Steyr of course if the wind decides to increase / decrease at point of release im screwed. Im talking about all 3 guns firing at the same target at the same time.

#225 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:18 AM

Daz, no problem, at the end of the day we're just discussing the black arts of accuracy at the end of the day. We all strive to be better and understand a little bit more about wtf goes on when the trigger gets pulled and a target does or doesn't go down.

Best bet is to talk to Jon, he knows and if you can slow him down a bit you'll understand more...:grin:

#226 holly

holly

holly

• 22,062 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Put simply Darron , it is Suck It And See ??? HOLLY  :cheers:

PS Years ago i was looking for the Holy Grail of air rifles ? yes the one that took no wind ( no such thing ) the Holy Grail of air rifles is the one where you give it an inch of wind and it Takes an inch of wind . hallelluhlyah brothers . i have seen the light .  :amen:

#227 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

I think everyone would be surprised to see a slow motion shot of a pellet at range, not what you'd expect and goes a long way to explain why some barrels/pellets appear to be 'wind-beaters' but aren't...:grin:

#228 Jon

Jon
  • 5,697 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffs

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

If use 10 other barrels will be exactly the same or at least very close.

If wind mag sown as constantly keep saying but goes amiss, you will see the slug fly.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users