AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Spanish Style rabbit casserole

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hughgoldsmith

hughgoldsmith
  • 1,436 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dorset

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

Spanish rabbit casserole: This is a dish of my own creation that i came up with today, it was a total success and i think my favorite way to eat rabbit to date!

Ingredients:

1 x jointed rabbit.
2 x medium onions, quartered.
3 x cloves of garlic, crushed.
1 x tin of tomatoes.
75g of pancetta, or diced streaky bacon.
Sliced chilli, to taste.
1tsp of paprika (smoked preferably).
15 x green olives (whole but, stoned).
2 sprigs of thyme (or 1tsp of dried).
3 x potatoes, quartered.
a pint of chicken stock.
100g of chorizo.

Stage one:

Fry the pancetta / bacon in a frying pan with a little oil, once crispy place in to the bottom of a casserole dish. The lightly fry the quartered onions and again layer in the bottom of the dish. At this point you can also add the raw potatoes and the springs of thyme to the dish.

Stage two:

Roll the rabbit joints in seasoned flour and then brown in the frying pan. Once nicely browned place in the casserole on top of the other ingredients and leave to one side. Start preheating the oven to 180C.

Stage three:

In the same frying pan gently fry the chillies, garlic and chorizo for about 2 or 3 minutes. Add a tsp of smoked paprika and stir it in. Then add the tin of tomatoes and the green olives and bring up to the boil. You can then spread this mixture over the top of the other ingredients.

Stage four:

Pour the stock in to the casserole dish and put the lid on and place in the pre heated oven. Give it about 10 mins at 180C and then turn the oven right down to 140C and leave to casserole for about 3 hours (cooking time will differ depending on your oven). Check the dish every 30mins to and hour to check that it is not drying out (if it is add a little more water / stock or wine. It is ready to eat when the meat is tender and falling off the bone. Enjoy with what ever you want, but I did it with home baked ciabatta bread and some veg.

Sorry I forgot to take a photo of the finished dish till I had eaten most of it.. you get the idea anyway.

#2 Guest_NorfolkBoy_*

Guest_NorfolkBoy_*

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:30 AM

I made this tonight (with a couple of omissions as I didn't have any olives or chorizo) and it was fantastic.....

#3 hughgoldsmith

hughgoldsmith
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

Glad you like it mate, you really must try it again with all the ingredients, especially the chorizo. It will make it even better!

Hugh

#4 Guest_dagsie_*

Guest_dagsie_*

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

looks nice ill try this tomorrow let you know

#5 kent

kent
  • Member.
  • 965 posts
  • Interests: Rifles and stalking from air to centrefires, Versitile hunting dogs GWP -the best! Flyfishing for wild fish fresh or saltwater. Wildfowling
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:lancashire

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

Choizo goes great with Rabbit!

#6 hughgoldsmith

hughgoldsmith
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

Let me know how you like it dagsie!

Hugh

#7 Guest_dagsie_*

Guest_dagsie_*

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

hi
tried this recipe and was great thanks /Always just gutted quarry and left mum to do rest but noticed after doing myself most fat if any on the back of rabbit is that fat or should we get rid any thoughts? smile.gif

#8 cookey

cookey
  • Member.
  • 556 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:killybegs/donegal/ireland

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:28 PM

look,s and sounds divine now just need to go get me a bunny might go out tonight must dust off the s410 bin a while since it was out

#9 Guest_Daystatemk1_*

Guest_Daystatemk1_*

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

Had something very simular to this in grand canary's found a resturant up in the mountians that not many tourists no about and they serve rabbit. the resturant is built into the mountian and if you go and find it you really need someone that speaks the Lingo as the locals can be a little "anti tourist" if you parden my meaning. biggrin.gif

#10 ducati

ducati
  • 111 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:southport

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

what time do you want me round for tea biggrin.gif

#11 plumbob

plumbob
  • 114 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lutterworth

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

One of the supervisors at work made a similar dish with one of the rabbit's that i sold him, he even managed to get his wife and her friend on it because it was that good banana.gif

#12 Eddiekneejerk

Eddiekneejerk
  • 5 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South Tyneside

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:36 AM

This works really well in a slow cooker chaps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users