AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Venison recipes anyone?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chriss200_*

Guest_Chriss200_*

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Apologies if this has already been asked, but does anyone have any great venison recipes they wouldn't mind sharing?

I'm doing a 'deer in a day' course next week, and as i'll be coming away with a lot of meat, I thought could do with some decent recipes.

Thanks.

#2 kent

kent
  • Member.
  • 965 posts
  • Interests: Rifles and stalking from air to centrefires, Versitile hunting dogs GWP -the best! Flyfishing for wild fish fresh or saltwater. Wildfowling
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:lancashire

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

Much depends on which deer. Roe, Red and Sika are far darker and stronger meats utilising dark chocolaite in caseroles works well and Rosemary with salt and fresh ground black pepper on steaks. Fallow is much lighter meat and goes well with fruits Coating a haunch with marmalade during roasting and allowing to cool then serving cold is great, also try a sage cobbler with this meat. I have no personal experiance with munties as we don't have them up here

#3 Don

Don

'The Squirrelbasher'

• Member.
  • 2,473 posts
  • Interests:Movies, computers, motorbikes (big & fast!), & airgun/rimfire hunting
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:New Forest, Hampshire

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:47 AM

You will need:

* 900g venison shoulder
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 3 medium onions, peeled and sliced
* 2 clove garlic, chopped
* 2 tbsp plain flour
* 2 tbsp sweet paprika
* 6 juniper berries, crushed
* 2 tsp dried thyme
* 1 pinch black pepper
* 400ml passata
* 200ml beef stock
* 600g potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks

Method:

Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3. Trim up the venison and cut into large chunks if not done already. Heat the oil in a large casserole and brown the meat all over.

Remove the meat to a plate and add the onion and garlic to the casserole. Cook over a medium heat for about 15 minutes until the onion is just tinged with brown.

Mix the paprika with the flour, thyme and juniper berries. Tip the meat and any juices back into the casserole, add the flour and paprika mixture, stir well and cook for a couple of minutes. Pour in the passata and beef stock, season well, stir and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, cover with a lid and bake in the oven for about two hours. 20 minutes before it is ready, add the potatoes, replace the lid and cook for 20 minutes.

Serve drizzled with soured cream and sprinkled with chopped parsley.

Don

#4 Guest_Chriss200_*

Guest_Chriss200_*

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:16 PM

Thanks guys!

#5 shinny

shinny
  • Member.
  • 995 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:derbyshire

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

We've tried 'em all.......and Muntjac is the BEST eating of any venison but all species eat well if not too old and properly prepared. Take old stags/fallow bucks to the dealer and let someone else eat them! Eat does and prickets. I can't give recipes 'cos that's not my department...Candy does the cooking, I'm finished with them once they are skinned and butchered until parts reappear on my plate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users