AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Creamy Rabbit Pie

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Technocod

Technocod
  • 960 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, farming, eating nice food, starting restoration projects that never seem to get finished, that sort of thing!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lincolnshire

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

For the stock and meat cook;

1 large meaty rabbit, or two smaller ones, skinned and gutted
2 medium onions
3 large or 4 medium carrots
4oz streaky bacon
About 6 whole coriander seeds and 12 whole peppercorns
Salt

For the sauce;

Zest of lemon
2 oz butter
2 oz plain flour
1 pint of stock from cooking the rabbit
2 - 3 tablespoons milk or cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the pie;

About 10oz shortcrust pastry ~ enough to make a lid for your chosen pie dish
1 beaten egg

This makes a fantastic rabbit pie, or rabbit and pigeon pie if you have one handy or your rabbits are a bit skinny (just chuck it in with the rabbit)

1.Joint your rabbit and chuck it in the pan. You are going to remove the meat later, so just chop it into pieces so that it fits nicely into your pan, which should be fairly large, i.e. a stock pot or similar.
2.Peel and quarter your onions. If you can only get the massive Spanish style ones,use one big one and cut it into eighths, but I prefer strong English ones.
3.Chop your carrots into 1 inch long chunks. Lob this and the onions into the pan with the rabbit.
4.Cut you bacon into 1 inch chunks and add to the pan.
5.Throw in the coriander seeds, peppercorns and a scant teaspoon of salt.
6.Add enough water to cover everything,bring to the boil, and simmer for an hour and a half or until the rabbit is well cooked though and comes away from the bone easily.
7.Take the rabbit and vegetables out and allow to cool, retaining the cooking liquid for later. You can remove the coriander seeds and peppercorns and throw them away.
8.One the meat has cooled enough, pull the meat off with your hands, into bite sized chunks. Discard and tough bits, such as skin and connecting tissue, and the bones.
9.Put the meat, carrots, onion and bacon into your pie dish.
10.Preheat your oven to 375F, Gas mark 5
11.In a thick bottomed saucepan, melt your butter.
12.Add the flour and mix well into a paste, allow it to fry off for a few minutes.
13.Slowly add the stock to this, a bit at a time, stirring constantly. It will gradually form a thick but lump free sauce if you are patient, take your time, and keep stirring.
14.Once this is done, allow it to bubble away slowly for a couple of minutes, then add your milk, stirring as you go.
15.Finally, add the lemon zest, and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
16.Pour into your pie dish over the meat and vegetables.
17.Cover your pie dish with the shortcrust pastry, and brush with the beaten egg.
18.Put in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the pie has started to go golden brown on top.
19.Turn the oven down to 325F, Gas 3 and bake for a further 35 40 mins.
20.Eat.

Don't throw any leftover stock away ~ reduce it down a bit and skim off any scum from the top. You can then freeze it and use it as game stock or as a base for nice winter soups.

#2 sooty

sooty
  • 2 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Nottinghamshire

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

Tried this today with a few potatoes and peas Beautiful best rabbit I have had in a long time

#3 Martnt

Martnt
  • 13 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Truro/Cornwall/England

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Technocod.
Totally delicious pie.
Have made it a couple of times now and it is a firm favourite smile.gif

#4 ANGOF

ANGOF
  • 179 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Cornwall

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

Made this last night, never made my own sauce before ( i use condensed mushroom soup normally). Now im a convert. Great recipe thumb.gif

#5 WeeJoiner

WeeJoiner
  • 331 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Cornwall

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

This sounds like the business, will try it soon. Thanks

#6 adez

adez
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:A regular family guy. Married with two kids. Run my own small business. Love hunting, fishing and drumming!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Great Missenden, Bucks

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

Hi mate.
We made this today and it was very nice indeed. The kids ate it too!
It smelt lovely while just boiling this morning.
Will definitely do it again but take out the lemon zest (I'm not fan of lemon) and make the sauce a little richer (I used milk and cream will be better).
Great recipe - thumbs up here! Cheers, adez.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users