AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Italian peasant dish

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adez

adez
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:A regular family guy. Married with two kids. Run my own small business. Love hunting, fishing and drumming!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Great Missenden, Bucks

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

Hello. I have seen a few good recipes on here so thought I would add a simple, but very tasty one.
It is a traditional peasant dish from the Italian countryside done with CHICKEN or RABBIT cooked the same way.

You need 1 - 2 cleaned rabbits or one chicken.
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
A couple of pounds of potatoes (Maris Pipers are good)
A fresh red and green pepper (optional)
A couple of nice tomatoes or a half dozen or so cherry toms
Oregano (dried is ideal)
Good quality olive oil
Salt & pepper

Cut the rabbit or chicken into pieces (your preference on how and size)
Try to keep the meat about the same size to ensure even cooking.

Lightly season the meat pieces with salt and pepper (and I use some dried garlic powder too) then seal the meat pieces in a frying pan with olive oil. The idea is just to seal the meat and lightly colour - not to cook through. Put to the side.

Peel the potatoes and cut into homemade chunky chips (quite large). Par boil them until slighlty softened (lightly salted water) and leave aside.

Wash and prepare half the red and green pepper and slice into strips.

Peel the onion, halve it and then slice into thick slices.

Peel the garlic cloves and crush with your hand lightly to release flavour. Leave whole or slice up (your preference).

Take a good sized baking try with high sides capable of holding all the above ingredients and coat generously in good quality olive oil.

Pre-heat the oven to about 180 - 200C

Tip the lighlty boiled chips of potato into the oil and toss them until covered in oil.

Place the pan fried meat onto the potatoes and liberally spread over the pepper, tomatoes (cut if large ones or whole if cherry type),
onions and garlic.

Liberally sprinkle a generous amount of Oregano over the contents of the pan. (This adds the flavour you want) and add salt and freshly ground pepper to season.

Cover with baking foil and seal to keep moisture in and place in the oven for 30-45 mins.

Take off the baking foil (take care not to burn yourself on the steam) and finish in the oven with no foil on high heat to make the potatoes brown and crispy if you prefer (about 5 mins). I prefer the spuds soft so I don't put it in again.

Serve with a mixed leaf green salad. I usually dress mine with olive oil, sea salt and vinegar (Malt or Balsamic) and some lovely fresh bread cut into doorsteps.

Enjoy!

#2 potshot

potshot

"One Shot Potshot"

• 2,214 posts
  • Interests:All things Airgun. Wildlife Filming, Cooking, RC Helicopters and fine Whiskey.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lancashire

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hell that sounds just like the food I love...I will give it a go this week as I have a hunting friend and his wife coming for drinks and a scoff. Love throw it in the pan recipes especially when the have so many beautiful ingredients in there...thanks for this.
Tell you what, they live well those peasants.

Edited by potshot, 06 January 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#3 bruno527

bruno527
  • Member.
  • 2,378 posts
  • Interests:country side management, hunting,fast cars,women...good ale &amp; a game pie !!<br /><br />some times all together.... niiiiiiiiice!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:gods county, in't hills !! N Yorks

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

exellent dish.......yum yummmmmmmmmmm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users