AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Home made sausages

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 potshot

potshot

"One Shot Potshot"

• 2,210 posts
  • Interests:All things Airgun. Wildlife Filming, Cooking, RC Helicopters and fine Whiskey.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lancashire

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

You can buy a sausage making kit for about 20.00 with skins...there are lots of recipes for making sausages but game and wines/port and beer are great to replace the liquid requirement...I make chorizo sausage, port and game, red wine and venison and mixed game, with brown beer. Remember to substitute 50% of the meat mix with a good fatty belly pork...I don't use rusk I like my sausages to be meaty and like them to hang for about two days before eating...if you want to use rusk use French toasts instead crumbed up...they add texture and colour. Seasonings are salt pepper and any fresh herbs you might like to use. Bonne appetite.

#2 rikthornton

rikthornton
  • 57 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Norfolk

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Ahhh, I'd love to give this a go. If only to get some decent venison sausages - I've tried several butchers now, and a couple of supermarkets, and for some reason that escapes me they all feel the need to be heavyhanded with the seasonings. Very much a case of 'Where's the venison???' - have you a link for the kit you mention?

I'm also on the lookout for a fruit-press, my neighbour has a couple of heavy-cropping apple trees and last year much of the fruit was wasted. I have plans this year ;)

Edited by rikthornton, 17 August 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#3 potshot

potshot

"One Shot Potshot"

• 2,210 posts
  • Interests:All things Airgun. Wildlife Filming, Cooking, RC Helicopters and fine Whiskey.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

I bought mine from Lakeland it's a bit like a plumbers silicone gun with a few nozzles and I got some synthetic skins with it, but buy them at 2.00 a tube from a local butcher...one tube makes about 20 lb of sausages. You can also get them from your butchers outfitters.

Edited by potshot, 19 August 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#4 rikthornton

rikthornton
  • 57 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Norfolk

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

Ahhh good stuff - I've had things from Lakeland before but never saw those, I'll have a shufty. Cheers!

#5 j j m

j j m
  • 633 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Tyne & Wear

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

i used to do it years a go bit fiddly at first but you soon get the hang of it,i used to make them with rabbit and pigeon and some seasoning really nice they were

#6 potshot

potshot

"One Shot Potshot"

• 2,210 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Bush Wear sporting catalogue....there are lots of bits and pieces for sausage making.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users