AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

BASC

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Pod

Pod

Paul

• 533 posts
  • Interests:Shooting and motorcycles.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Reading

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:43 PM

When the first ban 'em all gruntings were emanating from Scotland, I contacted the BASC to find out what their response was going to be. I was reassured that Firearms law can only be made in Westminster. Since this situation has been somewhat undermined, I have visited the BASC website and can find no response to this potential disaster dunno.gif

Anyone any idea if/when the BASC are going to set their wheels in motion to head this threat to shooting off at the pass? I think they really really need to act as soon as possible or most of us will be looking for new hobbies soon amad.gif

#2 raygun

raygun
  • Administrators
  • 8,567 posts
  • Interests:Airgunning
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Bolton

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(Pod @ Fri Jul 27 2007, 23:43) View Post

Anyone any idea if/when the BASC are going to set their wheels in motion to head this threat to shooting off at the pass? I think they really really need to act as soon as possible or most of us will be looking for new hobbies soon amad.gif

Hi Pod,
Couldn't agree more. I'm one who usually jumps in to defend BASC as I think they do a good job. What they don't appear to do is keep the membership (especially airgun) informed of actions they're taking to counteract things like the "Scottish" problem. It's almost certain that if airguns are banned in Scotland(whether successfully or not) they will be banned in England.
ATB
Ray.

#3 Rob M

Rob M
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:33 AM

From an article in "Scotland on Sunday", 15th July this year:

"He added it was too early to say whether gun owners who handed in weapons after any ban would receive compensation, and what would be the precise wording of any exemptions to the ban.

He said: "You will need a licence and a very good reason to own a gun - for example, being a farmer needing to keep pests down, or being in a gun club where the weapons are kept there. But we're still at a very early stage as far as the precise details are concerned."

SNP sources claim Straw is keen to see how an airgun ban works in Scotland because he is minded to do the same thing south of the Border. "
==================================================================

This is extremely important for our sport... If we do nothing and Scottish airgunners get shafted you can bet that it'll be our turn shortly afterwards. Jack Straw is known to have anti-shooting sentiments (he is alleged to want to close Bisley for instance) so we need to do everything we can to countre this...

Please keep writing, keep getting everyone you know to sign the petition...

Cheers

Rob M

#4 Rob M

Rob M
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

Bump - Keep on signing everyone! Get everyone you know to sign too, friends, family, shooting buddies, colleagues that like airguns, everybody.

Petition

Cheers

Rob

#5 Rob M

Rob M
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:27 AM

Superb, we have the Scottish situation, JSRs and Uttings giving up selling airguns due to the VCR bill, and what are BASC doing? Posting on here about "New guidance on transporting shoot workers".

amad.gif

#6 Pod

Pod

Paul

• 533 posts
  • Interests:Shooting and motorcycles.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Reading

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Rob M @ Wed Aug 8 2007, 10:27) View Post

Superb, we have the Scottish situation, JSRs and Uttings giving up selling airguns due to the VCR bill, and what are BASC doing? Posting on here about "New guidance on transporting shoot workers".

amad.gif

Shocking isn't it?

#7 Guest_Dr B_*

Guest_Dr B_*

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

Hi,
I have just joined the forum but have been shooting air rifles for 27 years, it is my passion and as I live in Scotland I am adding my voice to all campaigns aimed at stopping the implementation of unnecessary and ineffectual legislation. I have for the last two years been emailing MPs, MSPs, Justice Ministers in both Holyrood and Westminster and having regular email conversations with Dr Colin Sheddon (Head of BASC Scotland).
I know where you are coming from with your message but I trust the BASC to look after our interests, not just because we are shooters as are they are but also because they will be well aware that an airgun ban will be the thin end of the wedge for shooting in the UK in general. I can't see them letting this happen without a decent fight. To resist these pointless legal changes we must have a strong and high profile body to represent us and I believe the BASC are such a body. Hopefully if they and we maintain pressure upon those who seek to ban our sport we will avoid the death of a fantastic passtime which provides an entry point to the world of field sports for many a youngster (as it did for me).
Good luck to us all and happy shooting.
Dr B.

#8 Rob M

Rob M
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:45 AM

I e-mailed BASC and they assured me that they would publicise the petition.. There was a link on the BASC site for a while but it seems to have gone now... I would have hoped that they could find a little space on the 'front' page for a link to the petition... Any BASC members know if it has been mentioned in the BASC magazine? I am normally a BASC member and get the mags myself but due to financial trouble can't afford the renewal at the moment... sad.gif

#9 Guest_Dr B_*

Guest_Dr B_*

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:30 PM

Hi Rob,
Yes they have had the petition in their mag, I believe that they are doing their best. Shame that on the news last night there was an article about some more ******** shooting a lady in Glasgow. But then if the legal system enforced the laws they have we would not have a problem. As they don't we potentially get lumbered with more laws that only cause problems for the law abiding users not the trouble makers!
DB

#10 Guest_Dougie_*

Guest_Dougie_*

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

More problems on the way with a proposal to devolve more power to Hollyrood including that or the control of air guns.
I see a complete ban coming. Any ideas

Doug

#11 raygun

raygun
  • Administrators
  • 8,567 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

Looks like the Calman Commisson wants to give them Gun Control decisions.

http://www.timesonli...icle6493743.ece

ATB
Ray.

#12 Guest_mark b_*

Guest_mark b_*

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

well i for one have knocked basc on the head after there prommises of legal support failed to materialise when i was turned down for my sgc.

they seem'd keen enough to take my 70 a year and send me out a mag every once in a while but when i asked them for help surprise surprise nothing doing,

fine if you run about wearing tweeds in your range rover and go to the shooters meals at upper class establishments, but for joe blogs who shoots bunnys with his airgun FORGET IT!!!!

jmho..... Grumpgramp.gif

#13 Dunc

Dunc
  • 54 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:bucks

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(mark b @ Sun Jun 14 2009, 17:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well i for one have knocked basc on the head after there prommises of legal support failed to materialise when i was turned down for my sgc.

they seem'd keen enough to take my 70 a year and send me out a mag every once in a while but when i asked them for help surprise surprise nothing doing,

fine if you run about wearing tweeds in your range rover and go to the shooters meals at upper class establishments, but for joe blogs who shoots bunnys with his airgun FORGET IT!!!!

jmho...

Guess it would depend on why you have been turned down for a SGC. Why was it not granted?

Edited by Dunc, 14 June 2009 - 06:08 PM.

#14 Guest_mark b_*

Guest_mark b_*

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

havent got a clue tbh, no criminal record, married with 3 kids, live in a quiet village with no crime to speak of. no mental health issues.

withdrew my first application on recomendation from the FAO manager told to reapply in 12mths and would get it no problem.

did this only to find the manager had retired and the new manager a mr davey scott had taken over, got my interveiw at home checked my security etc no probs there.

waited paitiently for 9mths then had a letter deliverd by the enquiry officer saying i had been refused no reason given.......

have looked into this extensivley and have found that by law they must give 2 valid reasons why they feel an sgc will not be issued and provide these reasons in writing.

i have also recently found out that shooters putting in for renewals of SGC and FAC have been refused and many shooters have had there certs revoked for no apparent reason.

my region is at best terrible when it comes to FAO add to that the manager is anti shooting and what do you get????

amad.gif amad.gif amad.gif

#15 Dunc

Dunc
  • 54 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:bucks

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(mark b @ Sun Jun 14 2009, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...have looked into this extensivley and have found that by law they must give 2 valid reasons why they feel an sgc will not be issued and provide these reasons in writing.

I would push for them to give you the 2 reasons. And I am surprised that BASC have not helped as they have been very helpful to me in a situation not unlike yours. Did they not say anything?

#16 Guest_mark b_*

Guest_mark b_*

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

all i was told mate was " there is no point in law to be made and therfore we will not be assisting you in an appeal" i have contacted the FAO and requested the reasons behind my refusal however after several attempts they are still not forth comming with the info even though i have pointed out the HO guidlines state i should be furnished with 2 reasons.

unfortunatley i dont have the finaces required to lodge my own appeal so for now it is at a stailmate, but i will be applying again in the future.

#17 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Super Admin
  • 4,129 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio, building electronic equipment.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffordshire

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

Why not give your MP something to do, besides fiddling expenses?

DaveL

#18 raygun

raygun
  • Administrators
  • 8,567 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:19 AM

If the Calman Report is acted on it will have very serious implications for the Scottish airgunners.

At the best it will mean it will be treated as a money maker and the worst I wouldn't like to think about.
It would not be beyond the possibility of an outright ban.

For the rest of the U.K. don't think it will stop in Scotland.

ATB
Ray.

#19 Mike2

Mike2
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, then Beer !
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Cheshire

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

Please read this article - http://news.scotsman...guns.5395232.jp

11,000 signatures on http://petitions.num...ScottishGunBan/ are the very minimum we need, I'd suggest - so why not visit and sign ? There are an estimated 4 Million plus airgun shooters in the UK - a vast pool of support.

Theres also information from BASC and a link to the petition at http://psa.bizhostin.../whats_new.html

If you can get as many of them as you possibly can to sign this petition, we MIGHT have a chance - but it depends on us getting other shooters to sign.

Remember, if this is seen as a success in Scotland (make no mistake - as a political issue it will be described as a success despite any evidence to the contrary * ) then there WILL be pressure for the scheme to be adopted throughout the UK.

It's our sport - we need to muster as much support as we can get - remember that airgunning is the route most people use to get into the sport.

* Just look at the pistol ban - more people than ever getting killed and injured by criminal with pistols, yet the government still insists that it is a "success."

#20 Mike2

Mike2
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:20 AM

Just curious - has anyone from this board signed the petition yet?

We're up to 1,000 today, but if we want to "overpower" the alleged numbers of signatories to the scottish petition seeking a ban on airguns, we'd need 11,000 at least.

#21 Guest_F. Prefect_*

Guest_F. Prefect_*

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

I live in the US and by chance also live only about 100 miles from where Quackenbush air rifles are produced. The only reason I even mention the rifles produced by Quackenbush was that when I was in the market for a new air rifle (my 20+ year old Benjamin pump up had at last pumped it's last) and was in disbelief when reading some of the reviews written by owners of rifles manufactured by Gamo, RWS, and other manufacturers claiming kills of Fox and even coyotes using these rifles claiming MVs of as high as 1650 fps.

After eventually buying one made by Gamo and after thinning out a good deal of my overpopulation of squirrels I have little doubt that a well placed shot could dispense with an animal the size of a coyote at a relatively close range with no problem.

Then while surfing I happened across the Quackenbush website and got a look at what his (I don't recall exactly what they were referred to as, but it seemed like there was an attempt being made not to portray them as any kind of weapon, yet showed kills of animals weighing several hundred pounds!) rifles were capable of.

I am in NO way opposed to the manufacture and sales of these "next generation" air rifles, but I believe that technology may have put them in a light that will not be long overlooked in this country, where it seems every time you turn around some new law has been passed making the ownership of firearms more difficult.

I used the term "firearms" because it should prove interesting (as well as how long) it will take the anti-gunners from beginning to take a serious look at these "fireless" weapons. I'm not saying that these rifles and handguns are "toys" to say the very least and parents should be made well aware of just what they are giving their 11 year olds, thinking they are no more than price inflated versions of the Red Rider they had when they were kids.

So what's my point? Get ready to be Restricted I suppose might sum it up and in some ways, given what many of these rifles can do, it might even be for the best. But I really belief it should be I, the father, that should be the on doing the restricting. Facing the facts, these rifles fall into a category that is somewhere between a 22 rim fire and the above mentioned Daisy Red Rider and it seems that if the government has the opportunity to become involved in the regulation of such rifles, it's just one more of my personal "rights" that have now been invaded by our good ole Federal Government an just asked the same question that is asked with every new law they pass. When will it finally STOP?

F. Prefect

#22 Mike2

Mike2
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:42 AM

I've also said in another thread -

I see there are 4,936 registered members of this board.

I see there are 3,512 signatures on the petition.

Are we really all that apathetic?

Admin - Perhaps a PM to all board members about this ?

#23 Mike2

Mike2
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:17 AM

....and I suppose it would have been helpful of me to include a link to the petition. doh.gif
Sorry !

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ScottishGunBan/

Have we all signed? Have our friends/family?

Some say its pointless signing petitions - but if we don't at least try it certainly will be pointless.

#24 Just Jacques

Just Jacques
  • 200 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Yorkshire

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

Better link

http://petitions.num...ScottishGunBan/

#25 The Green Man

The Green Man
  • Member,
  • 3,526 posts
  • Interests:Travelling, airguns and photography.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Solden, Tirol

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

Published today.

"The Scotland Bill is also likely to allow the Scottish Parliament to take control of national speed limits, drink-driving laws and airguns legislation."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-11863388

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users