AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

My missus uses oppersite eye to shoot.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sg1

sg1

Early Morning Admin(yawn!!)

• 1,940 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight Sporting Rifle Competition Shooting,Clay Pigeon Shooting(ESP),Collecting Swords/Knives, Cooking , Computer Repairs and of course my Partner and our 3 kids.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South coast, west sussex

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:39 AM

Myself and the missus shoot L.S.R 20yard comp at our local club and the new season is just about to start.
She has an unusual shooting stance in that she shoots right handed but uses left eye through scope!
It seems to work for her or at least it did until she started using rimfire instead of her AA S200.
The only thing(apart from the rifle) she has changed is going from using a x12 mag scope to a x9 mag scope.

Could this be the varible that is causing her now inacurrate shooting?

I have used her rifle and ammo (either SK pistol match or Standard plus) and achieve 47+/50 so I'm pretty sure the rifle/scope is on target(CZ BRNO).

Could it just be a case of getting used to a new setup?

Any suggestions would be most welcome smile.gif

ATVB

sg1

#2 kent

kent
  • Member.
  • 965 posts
  • Interests: Rifles and stalking from air to centrefires, Versitile hunting dogs GWP -the best! Flyfishing for wild fish fresh or saltwater. Wildfowling
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:lancashire

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

Shooting from right shoulder with left eye through scope, Now i bet thats awkward! I have never seen this but she cannot possibly be looking directly through scope and cannot be comfortable and relaxed, i am even thinking perhaps you worded that one a bit off?
Anyway, yes she should shoot off the same shoulder as her eye or you should get a cross over stock made. With a scope the whole master eye thing isn't so critical, why does she do this?

#3 sg1

sg1

• 1,940 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight Sporting Rifle Competition Shooting,Clay Pigeon Shooting(ESP),Collecting Swords/Knives, Cooking , Computer Repairs and of course my Partner and our 3 kids.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

Nope.... it's not 'worded a bit off' it's the way she shoots!!! Right shoulder/left eye.

I have since worked out that she has a VERY dominant left eye and cannot seem to keep right eye focused if she blanks off left eye (glasses required for sure!! ) but she still has the other issue of "feeling uncomfortable" using the right(right) eye.

My next suggestion/solution was for her to attempt to shoot left handed (as have many target shooters successfully) but again she says that it feels strange to her and unnatural (and shooting left eye/right shoulder don't?? ohmy.gif ).

She used to and still does get 'reasonable scores' from 'her method' with her air rifle which had a X12 mag scope and I'm wondering if the higher mag over her X9 she has on the rimmy is /was easier for her to use with her 'unique shooting stance?

Any further thoughts on this?

ATVB

sg1

#4 Just Jacques

Just Jacques
  • 200 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Yorkshire

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

When I was young it was traditional for everybody to be right-handed in everything that they did from writing to playing cricket etc.

I am left eye dominant, but was always taught to shoot right-handed. I compromised when shooting rifle by shooting right eye right-handed.

When shooting pistol, it's very difficult to shoot left side right-handed, so I spent three months and taught myself to shoot lefthanded left eyed.

I would think from what you've told us that from habit your wife is used to shooting right-handed, but in actual fact she probably would do much better if she could teach yourself to shoot lefthanded left eyed.

Left-handed gear can be quite expensive, but I would suggest that you try and get your wife into a left-handed set of equipment. You should always shoot with your dominant eye for the best results.

I honestly don't think it's anything to do with the scope, how long have you actually tried this for? It's a very difficult situation and you're going to have to approach the whole thing with a lot of of tact and diplomacy. You could get your Sunday lunch burnt -- -- -- LOL

#5 sg1

sg1

• 1,940 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

Sunday lunch burnt!! Hardly- I'm the one who cooks in our house!! biggrin.gif

She has been using her method for about 11 months+ and as previously said, been quite successfull smile.gif
I'd love for her to change her stance to a more orthadox one and really EXCELL in her competition shooting.

as for left handed gear- not really a problem for now as she 'could' use her AA S200 MKIII left handed and also her CZ BRNO 'could' be used left handed but I wouldn't recommend she tries it with her Semi .22LR ohmy.gif .

I'll get her out in the garden with the air rifle tommorow and 'try' to get her to give left handed a go or at the very least 'try' to get her to go right shoulder/right eye but she's as stubborn as Homer simpson being asked to leave the cake shop, but I will do my best biggrin.gif

#6 frazzle

frazzle
  • Member.
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:I am a collector or air and firearms. Not been collecting long, and am the first to admit that i have a LOT to learn. This seems like a great forum and im looking forward to picking the brains of the many experienced airgun users here.<br />If i can be of help to any of you guys, ask away........
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:LOT

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

sg1

i am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot handguns with 2 hands using my left eye, and rifles with my right eye on the scope. As Kent said, the old 'must use your dominant eye' is not at all applicable with a scoped rifle, and even with handguns, as long as you close or blinker the dominant eye, you can use the other with no real detriment. Are you able to adjust the scopes diaopter to fix her right eye vision? If so, then her less than perfect sight is not relevent. The only drawback she will get (i know cos i do too) is that after a lengthy shooting session she will be a little blurry eyed, nothing serious and after a few hours it fixes itself anyway. If her eyesight is beyond the diopter adj, then she could wear glasses and just close the left eye (or buy the blinker strip for that eye).
Her less than perfect accuracy is almost certainly down to her lack of comfort. Maybe the rimfire puts her a little more on edge than the airgun? Either way, using her left eye would help a huge amount

Frazzle

#7 sg1

sg1

• 1,940 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

@Frazzle....
I too am left eye dominant shooting right shoulder/right eye and I do fine- that's what I find so damn frustrating!!!

ATVB

sg1

#8 robF

robF
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:24 PM

i assume the scope is parallaxed to 20yds?

is it set up for her eyes?

if the old scope was good, can you put it back on again?

there are different levels of dominance vs handidness. A swapping of hands may be a better option, but it depends on the shooter. I also shoot right handed with my weaker eye. As my eyesight deteriorates, that's something I may have to change one day... dunno.

#9 sg1

sg1

• 1,940 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

Yes both the scopes she has tried are paralaxed correctly (Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9 x 40AO/4-12 x 50AO), Basically , I set it up for her initially to get her 'on target' and then she fine tunes it to her vision- or at least that's the theory!!

It may even be the balance/weight of the rifle too as she does really well with her AA S200 which is shorter and lighter than her CZ BRNO which is why I got her to bench rest it to sight it in and she was doing much better so I think it's more of a weight issue (the rifle-not the missus lol )

#10 potshot

potshot

"One Shot Potshot"

• 2,210 posts
  • Interests:All things Airgun. Wildlife Filming, Cooking, RC Helicopters and fine Whiskey.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lancashire

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

I am right handed, I play golf and tennis right handed, I also write with the same hand but everything shooting, archery, snooker and pool I am left had dominant and dont quite understand why this is so....I just could not get my head around shooting right handed....Im a lefty and stuck with it...you say she has tried to shoot left hand left eye, she might find this better and more comfortable in the long run, a bit strange at first as her mind and body will have to adapt to an alien stance.

Edited by potshot, 16 April 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#11 sg1

sg1

• 1,940 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

This is what I suggested to her but she just literally 'can't get her head round it!!' so I guess if she's comfortable doing it her way then.....

I give up!! ohmy.gif smile.gif

#12 jamie

jamie

Supplier of 60% MOLY PASTE

• 384 posts
  • Interests:shooting , surfing (net) formula 1 , bike racing
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:lydney, glostershire

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hello i am right handed with most things (yes that included) i am a carpenter so use my hands more than most now i can use the left but am right your right arm man.
BUT i shoot LH (with left eye) maybe its the dominant eye i don't know but crossing over arms and eyes would result in some unhappy neighbors and black nails .
A strange kettle this one , the lady may be suffering from the recoil (try shooting a springer after a pcp) in fact try her with a springer and her fav scope ?
Jamie

#13 sg1

sg1

• 1,940 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:24 AM

She started out with a springer and did quite well , then she progressed to PCP's and now also Rimfires!

Maybe she should try my 12G O/U - I bet she won't like shooting THAT with the left eye along the rib LOL.

#14 Kathy

Kathy

MadCow

• 308 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East Anglia

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

I used to shoot right-handed and left-eyed (virtually zero vision in right eye) but eventually saw the light and although it felt awkward to shoot left handed at first, I got used to it, and it wasn't such a pain in the neck.
Haven't done any pistol shooting for years, but when I did I held the gun with both hands.

#15 ryanm

ryanm
  • 12 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:NI

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

You can get these for target rifle, but dont't think they would work particularly well with a scope. The weight unbalance would be awful.

http://intershoot.co...hting.html#a262

#16 sg1

sg1

• 1,940 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

Well it's been a while since my last post on this but last night at the range (and at home first) I got her to shoot right eye, right shoulder and she did four shots virtually through the same hole in the 9 ring!!!! smile.gif she also keyholed another comp card in the 8 ring!! she couldn't believe it and TBH niether could I!!! ohmy.gif .
I have a funny feeling her scores are going to climb over the next few rounds and she's already chuffed to bits because she's been the top of her division(14) for the first two rounds and things are looking up thumb.gif

atvb

sg1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users