AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

missing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 plotter

plotter
  • 13 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:carmarthenshire

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

last week after tweaking my scope i was shooting two inch square pieces of wood constantly at 77 foot.
today |?? i couldnt hit one, well i did but not the one i was aiming at. after about 15 mins it started to come and i was hitting them again. does it take everyone a good few shots to settle down or is it just me?
problem is i want to go out hunting, but with the misses i had today i need alot more practice to hit the target first time or i just wont bother....

#2 Just Jacques

Just Jacques
  • 200 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Yorkshire

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

You might not be getting the same velocity with your first shot as you are with subsequent shots and it might be building up. In which case I would try the following which is an old soldier's tactic.

Get to 20 yards and put up a target. It could be a bit of old wallpaper and draw a 90° line vertical and horizontal approximately through the centre. Line up your scope exactly with the lines on the target and just see where your first shot goes. Do subsequent shots and see if your point of impact changes. If it does you have got a problem with velocities and the charge that is coming. Initially from your gun – – I don't know if it's a pre-charged or not. It's a cheap and cheerful way of checking things out, it's also an extremely good way of zeroing in a scope if you've got a rifle clamp.

Best,

JJ

Edited by Just Jacques, 16 July 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#3 Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson
  • Member,
  • 1,015 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South Yorkshire

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Plotter, the other thing here is that hitting 2" square at 77 feet isn't nearly accurate enough to go shooting rabbits. You need to be able to hit something half that size at nearly twice that distance to be sure of getting your kill shot. You'll be lucky to get within 26 yards of a bunny and then you need to hit a ten pence piece size target.

#4 Just Jacques

Just Jacques
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Do let us know how you got on and the outcome.

Best,

JJ

#5 plotter

plotter
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

will do, like i said if i aint good enough to bunnys ill keep practicing, and i wont be going out for them until i am... i am a dab hand at rats at 20 ft though lol

#6 bb-builder

bb-builder
  • 360 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:north yorkshire

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

will do, like i said if i aint good enough to bunnys ill keep practicing, and i wont be going out for them until i am... i am a dab hand at rats at 20 ft though lol

Hi plotter you don't say what gun your using springer / PCP 177 / 22 and power are you some ware near the legal limit? all these things can have a bearing on distance kills.

Mel/T

#7 plotter

plotter
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

i have a qb78 up to 10.6 co2 and an edgar bros springer model 75 not chronod??? for winter shooting

Edited by plotter, 19 July 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#8 Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson
  • Member,
  • 1,015 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South Yorkshire

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Right then, if it's the QB78 there's a strong possibility that you're getting a change in pressure due to temperature change. Hot CO2 capsule in the house cooling to ambient outside.

#9 Just Jacques

Just Jacques
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

I think you'll find that Bob Johnson is correct I've experienced this many times and this is why moved across to air from CO2 many years ago
best,
JJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users