AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Small Print ?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 holly

holly

holly

• 24,293 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

A while back i had a rant about my home insurance . got it from another firm . got the policy and for the life of me i could not see what i had and did not have ., so i rang em up . what i really had was contents . not building . i thought i was being careful . ah well if the house burns down every last thing in it is gold plated chippendale . and not forgetting my rolex navigator . special edition ??? HOLLY

PS Oh God The Lambo's Gone .

#2 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 602 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

Are you still paying a mortgage? If you are I think its technically illegal to not have buildings cover. Otherwise, its just stupid.

#3 holly

holly

holly

• 24,293 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

No mortgage . when i found out it was just contents i reinsured with building cover . but i really thought i was getting building cover in the first place . there was ten pages of gump to read through and after i had . i was still none the wiser ??? HOLLY

#4 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

Had to use the insurance to cover the water damage to the kitchen when the pipe burst in the bathroom above.

Thought it was going to be a ball-ache as it was months ago and only recently did the ceiling finally give up the ghost needing to be pulled down.

They couldn't have been better, saw the photos of the damage and the flexible pipe that had split, asked for a couple of quotes to get the damage sorted and within a couple of days money transferred into the account, no hassle. 

They don't even want to see proof that the work is carried out, amazing.

When I had a chimney go through the roof during the '97 hurricane the insurance company (Eagle Star) couldn't have been worse. Were willing to pay for a repair £6k if their guys did it but when I got my own guys to replace the entire roof for £2.5k they quoted some 'betterment' bull-excrement- and would only offer to pay out £1.5k.

Reluctantly I agreed as I needed it doing, so the roof was replaced, then they sent an ass round to check the work and even though it was perfect they deducted a further £600 for 'administration' so only sent me a cheque for £900.

I had the last laugh though as I got the ombudsman on the case, he reviewed all the evidence and even sent his own bod to inspect the work and he ordered them to pay me the full amount with interest as it was now 18 months later. They paid me in instalments and eventually two years after the storm I finally had all they owed me.

Then I sold the place to property developers, doubled my money and they ripped it down and built a surgery on the site....oh well  :grin:

I wasn't surprised when they went bust.

#5 Jon

Jon
  • 5,983 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffs

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

Technically correct Steve, one of my pet hates insurance co's, double glazing, tree surgeons and ppi.

#6 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:54 AM

Technically correct Steve, one of my pet hates insurance co's, double glazing, tree surgeons and ppi.

You missed people that mess with your rifles...:rolleyes:

#7 NeilMac

NeilMac
  • 3,033 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, horses, cycling, archery
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Somerset

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:47 AM

We have both the horses insured, for vets bills and that sort of thing. Insurance companies being completely risk averse will only give full cover to horses up to the age of 15, after that the cover slowly diminishes until only the tail and maybe one hoof is insured.

My lad Harry is now 16, but my wife (who deals with all this) noticed at the renewal that she had been charged the full amount for the previous year, despite the policy saying that from his 15th birthday onwards, his cover would reduce. The long and short being she had overpaid by several hundred pounds. She rang the company and said "I want my money back" and they said "Ahhh, but you enjoyed an enhanced level of cover, so we don't owe you anything", naturally her reply was to point out that had we tried to claim on the cover, they would have been the first people to say he was too old and that is was an admin error. An e-mail to the MD and mention of a similar e-mail to the ombudsman did the trick, refund issued.

#8 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

We have both the horses insured, for vets bills and that sort of thing. Insurance companies being completely risk averse will only give full cover to horses up to the age of 15, after that the cover slowly diminishes until only the tail and maybe one hoof is insured.

My lad Harry is now 16, but my wife (who deals with all this) noticed at the renewal that she had been charged the full amount for the previous year, despite the policy saying that from his 15th birthday onwards, his cover would reduce. The long and short being she had overpaid by several hundred pounds. She rang the company and said "I want my money back" and they said "Ahhh, but you enjoyed an enhanced level of cover, so we don't owe you anything", naturally her reply was to point out that had we tried to claim on the cover, they would have been the first people to say he was too old and that is was an admin error. An e-mail to the MD and mention of a similar e-mail to the ombudsman did the trick, refund issued.

Excellent, Wendy sounds like one lady not to mess with....:grin:

#9 NeilMac

NeilMac
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

SWMBFAO = She Who Must Be Feared And Obeyed.

#10 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

SWMBFAO = She Who Must Be Feared And Obeyed.

:rofl2:

#11 Falcon

Falcon

falcon

• 41 posts
  • Interests:shooting air rifle,clays, gardening,my grandchildren,diy.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

We had our insurance renewal through from the bank, thinking we would get a good deal but was shocked for the amount just short of £400 for buildings and contents so I did a bit of scouting, and ended up with a broker who did all the graft of sifting through different insurances he told me that it would be the "norm" for banks to charge that amount.

I ended up with a major player paying £170 and that included personal liability........Bob

#12 holly

holly

holly

• 24,293 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

I got mine from the halfax . as i got them seperate . the house was £ 131 , the contents £ 90 . shame really . cos i could go down to the heart foundation and redo all the furniture secondhand , and good named stuff too for around two to three thosand pound ??? HOLLY 

PS will just get the basic contents next year .

#13 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:05 AM

PS will just get the basic contents next year .

Yea after all a rifle reservoir going off then setting off a few air bottles isn't going to do that much damage is it? :rolleyes:

#14 holly

holly

holly

• 24,293 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

Keep my bottle in the car ??? HOLLY 

PS cheaper cars than houses .

#15 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

Keep my bottle in the car ??? HOLLY 

PS cheaper cars than houses .

Good plan as long as the car doesn't get nicked...:grin:

#16 Darron

Darron
  • 1,122 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands, Walsall

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

Having a lot of experience of the insurance industry from my time as an underwriter please do not overlook the value of “service “ would you pay a little more for great service? To deal with a company that wants to treat you fairly and promptly? If so then don’t look anywhere else than Direct Line they are the best by miles and I don’t work for them or get paid for endorsing them.

#17 holly

holly

holly

• 24,293 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

Will remember that Darren ??? HOLLY

#18 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

Good point Darron, idiotic to save a tenner and spend that on frustrating phone calls trying to get in contact with a company that doesn't want to be contacted under any circumstances....hmm now why does that remind me of GayState....:grin: 

#19 NeilMac

NeilMac
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

You beat me to the last line Col.

#20 Darron

Darron
  • 1,122 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands, Walsall

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

One has to understand the mentality of Daystate Col. When asked do they still manufacture veterinary dart guns etc TB said no but I’ve being busy buying them back off DEFRA and stock piling them in the hope of another outbreak of foot and mouth so I can rent them back to DEFRA and make a fortune.
Nice!

#21 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

One has to understand the mentality of Daystate Col. When asked do they still manufacture veterinary dart guns etc TB said no but I’ve being busy buying them back off DEFRA and stock piling them in the hope of another outbreak of foot and mouth so I can rent them back to DEFRA and make a fortune.
Nice!

Nice work....:grin:

#22 holly

holly

holly

• 24,293 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

Darron , would you mind having a few shots at Colin . as i am pretty sure he has foot and mouth . why , cos he is always putting his foot in his mouth ??? HOLLY :poster_oops:  :amen:  :cheers:

#23 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,922 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:25 PM

Darron , would you mind having a few shots at Colin . as i am pretty sure he has foot and mouth . why , cos he is always putting his foot in his mouth ??? HOLLY :poster_oops:  :amen:  :cheers:

Pot, kettle, black springs to mind..:rolleyes:

#24 holly

holly

holly

• 24,293 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:16 PM

The only thing that springs tou your mind Col , is nookie and cider??? HOLY

PS and possibly CAKE ? :cheers:

#25 NeilMac

NeilMac