AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Optics Warehouse

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 DTM

DTM
  • 162 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dyfed

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

cheaper than a sightron :)

#32 NeilMac

NeilMac
  • 2,878 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, horses, cycling, archery
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Somerset

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

True, if you can get it at that price.

Edited by NeilMac, 30 September 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#33 Jon

Jon
  • 5,953 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffs

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

£1400 - £1700 more realistic for the VX6 42mag, mahe much like the Comp Series and focus like my old PR VX3.

March 80 start at £2500, 10-60 £2100 ish. Assiming could get VX6 42 mag for £1700 you would always be thinking if i had paid £400 more could have had a good scope with a lot more mag and far superior resolution no other high mag scope offers.

Fixed mags not about setup thats how to make it tick. What he is on about is this modern -rubbish- tying strings down and not finding friggin targets certain clubs hell bent on doing, brainless when faced with 8-12 in front.

#34 holly

holly

holly

• 23,705 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

Let us not get carried away with the posh scope route . you do NOT need more than a true 40 mag to range 55 yards . you want a good field of view and nowadays since they brought in the yellow / white targets ( which personally i don't agree with . black is the colour of targets )  you need the colours to be rather on the flat side . to counter the bright colours , when ranging . plenty of scopes will do that for less than £700 ??? HOLY

#35 Jon

Jon
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:06 PM

For once i will agree with the ole man having used for decades both ends of the spectrum.

Some scops you will just click with straight away like my ole Mark 4 35, 1st release Tasco in 94 and March 10-60 knocking about some where. Problem is if used to decent optics its ultra hard to go back to inferior and the trouble i am having the last 4 years.

Currently theres nothing out there i would part with hard earned for. Would have shelled out in March for a Vortex from UK distributors but any company that fails to answer prospective sales dont deserve any business, so spent down the pub.

Black targets best colour followed by white.

#36 DTM

DTM
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

Had a look through a golden eagle that was for sale. Nice glass but the reticle was a bit thin for my old eyes :( Scared of losing it in the dark bits.

#37 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,503 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

I don't understand why some people have such a fear of fixed mag. scopes. As I was explaining to someone at the Worlds, if you look at the target, bring up the rifle and you don't see it then you're not properly lined up on the target in the first place.

The simplicity of a fixed mag. scope can't be over-estimated for stability, lightness and sheer optical quality.

#38 DTM

DTM
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

Thought I might give a leup a try as lots of people are using them. Trawled the net looking for a 40 mag second hand one. Absolutely zero for sale. Says a lot doesn't it. Once you get one you tend to hang on to it. £1500.00 on fleebay for a new one from Italy :(

#39 holly

holly

holly

• 23,705 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

The price of a good 40 mag is going up cos they no longer make em .  as for the comps being more stable than varible mag scopes , don't think so . my 35 and 40 mag comps went out up to 8 yards when it got down to zero temp . i know what Jon is saying about quality optics . but there is some snobbery in it as well . " oh yes i have a March/Leupold/Zeiss/S&B " and so on . i have an old custom shop . that has been around the club for years . the turrets are a bit rough . the side wheel is a bit stiff . but that old scope ranges and is dead clear . £150 . put a decent shot behind it and if it lasted it could win , of that i have no doubt . Big Nikkos have won more silver ware than any other scope . what works , works . simple as that . run what you brung . not what they tell you to like . don't get caught up in the " it's new and i have got to have it " what you already have may be your ultimate scope . ??? HOLLY

PS last two worlds won i think by a Big Nikko .

#40 Jon

Jon
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:41 PM

I don't understand why some people have such a fear of fixed mag. scopes. As I was explaining to someone at the Worlds, if you look at the target, bring up the rifle and you don't see it then you're not properly lined up on the target in the first place.

Where do you start looking naked eye when theyve tied the strings down needlessly. ie Tawd, Anston and Springfield. Targets numbered invisible at 45 yrds with naked eye, mind boggles at the mentality.

#41 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

I must admit the only course that I've shot that is a 'target rich' environment where it's all to easy to shoot the wrong target is the wooded section at Kent Woodsmen.

Even some of the KW regulars get caught out as target numbers are not necessarily by or even near the target but on a tree a couple of yards in front. Everyone knows this so takes it nice and slow making doubly sure that you're lining up on the right target.

When I shot through the last round of the WL earlier in the year with Pete Edwards I had to tell him a couple of times that he was lined up on the wrong target...:grin:

#42 holly

holly

holly

• 23,705 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

One of the worse course settings i have comes across . was at that club at doncaster in the very old quarry . i have never seen so many crossed strings in all my life . none tied down . every time you sat down , up came at least one reset string . some times two or three . so for me , tie em down ??? HOLLY

PS use the senses and the MK one eye ball .

#43 dc1

dc1
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

I must admit the only course that I've shot that is a 'target rich' environment where it's all to easy to shoot the wrong target is the wooded section at Kent Woodsmen.
Even some of the KW regulars get caught out as target numbers are not necessarily by or even near the target but on a tree a couple of yards in front. Everyone knows this so takes it nice and slow making doubly sure that you're lining up on the right target.

When I shot through the last round of the WL earlier in the year with Pete Edwards I had to tell him a couple of times that he was lined up on the wrong target...:grin:

So youve been to the Holly school.of talking -rubbish-.

For the last few years our numbers hang off the bottom of targets,A5 white background with.black numbers, cos certain numpties with multigrand rifles and scopes couldnt work out that when the.number at gate sez 30 and theres a bit of string from gate to target,with 30 in front of it , thens thats the one to shoot at.

And they still cant!!!!

#44 NeilMac

NeilMac
  • 2,878 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, horses, cycling, archery
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Somerset

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

We spent hours prior to GP1 making sure you could only see the targets you were shooting from the lane. Any other targets were obscured with logs, branches or boards.

#45 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

When I shot through the last round of the WL earlier in the year with Pete Edwards I had to tell him a couple of times that he was lined up on the wrong target... :grin:

So youve been to the Holly school.of talking -rubbish-.

For the last few years our numbers hang off the bottom of targets,A5 white background with.black numbers, cos certain numpties with multigrand rifles and scopes couldnt work out that when the.number at gate sez 30 and theres a bit of string from gate to target,with 30 in front of it , thens thats the one to shoot at.

And they still cant!!!!

:rofl2: Funny as I'm sure it was one of last year's WL shoots that Dan shot a lane out of order because the numbers were mixed up?

The targets couldn't have been that obvious as Pete kept trying to shoot the wrong targets not unless he wanted to hand me first in A grade on a plate...:grin:

#46 dc1

dc1
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

No,thats Pete

Edited by dc1, 03 October 2017 - 02:06 PM.

#47 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

No,thats Pete

Maybe, but if you know there's at least 4 or 5 targets that you can see from a particular lane then you'd think it best to double check you were lined up on the right target. I couldn't let him keep shooting the wrong targets as I would get grief that I'd only won A by being a bad sport letting him shoot them, so I couldn't win either way.

#48 holly

holly

holly

• 23,705 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Ahh but you wanted to colin . you wanted too ??? HOLLY

#49 Jon

Jon
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

i have never seen so many crossed strings in all my life . none tied down . every time you sat down , up came at least one reset string . some times two or three . so for me , tie em down ??? HOLLY

PS use the senses and the MK one eye ball .

Good course setting theres no need to tie the strings down.

Hate to think what Barry Longbottom would do with courses nowadays vetted the day before competition a good 60% would be pulled dependant on club.

Obviously at the gate you pull the strings to see where, if still cant see at least you know which direction to look, tell me im talking bo....s.

Quite a few stand at a gate and visually look for the targetstaking an eternity slowing everyone up, could be the wrong ones numbers cant be read, too far. With todays course setting you could have targets at 120 degrees aprt overlapping many lanes behind and in front, so if strings tied down you could be looking for a needle in a hay stack whilst on the clock. Often pays to let partner shoot first at least have an idea where to start looking.

Asides from that many clubs do it on purpose for no reason. Before the min 10 yard lift not so long back always recall an 8 yarder at a certain GP that went 45 degrees right 4 yards+ to previous lane with that other lanes strings through a U nail, then back to the target.

Likewise another GP two kneelers both strings almost vertical from the gate 12 ft up a tree to the right and on for another 10 yards straight then lost. Long story short previous lane caught up all 3 targets still not found, marshall called turns out two targets placed on ground to the left around 30 degrees around 35 and 40 yards back with dark bush behind, the mentality. Previous and next lane had no crossed strings!

Ft was never about guesswork it was about wind and trajectory despite what vocal brainwashers state.

#50 holly

holly

holly

• 23,705 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

All i ask is that the strings when pulled on another lane  DO NOT come up in front of me as per Doncaster ??? HOLLY

#51 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:07 AM

Always remember that kneeling target up a pole at the Regionals at Tondu. The strings from the previous lane went right above the kill at the apex, if they were pulled you could take the shot, if not you ran the risk of hitting them.

#52 Piemanlarger

Piemanlarger

Awesime

• 2,590 posts
  • Interests:Ft
    Railways
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:W.Glamorgan

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

Always remember that kneeling target up a pole at the Regionals at Tondu. The strings from the previous lane went right above the kill at the apex, if they were pulled you could take the shot, if not you ran the risk of hitting them.

​But no one did.

#53 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

​But no one did.

Funnily enough I remember it so well because I hit the string. Asked the people at the top to hold it which they did for the five seconds it took for me to take the shot, as they dropped the string I hit it...:rolleyes:

#54 holly

holly

holly

• 23,705 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

And it cost you a burger Colin . oh yes . very nice it was too ??? HOLLY 

#55 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

No, what cost me a burger was you rabbiting

No, what cost me a burger was you rabbiting on and making me forget I was on a kneeling lane....:rolleyes:

#56 holly

holly

holly

• 23,705 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

I was talking to the fellas on the next lane . you did it all on your own Col ??? HOLLY

PS delicious .look forward to the next one .

#57 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:50 AM

I was talking to the fellas on the next lane . you did it all on your own Col ??? HOLLY

PS delicious .look forward to the next one .

I guess the memory cells died on that one...:rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users