AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Rabbit and Pigeon prep

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mikey Video_*

Guest_Mikey Video_*

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

Sorry if this is a duplicate topic but i can't see where the topic appeared after i started it last time. Any way any help with the following would be great.

After shooting a rabbit i paunched it within 60 mins. then skinned and quatered it and left it in the fridge over night. cooked it the next day. fried some of it for a pasta dish and made a sort of stuffed roll from the belly flap and loin.

The legs tasted fine but the loin and tender loin smelled a bit like the guts and tased the same. (not that i have tasted guts but you know what i mean)

Did this happen because it was in the fridge and not the freezer or did i do something else wrong. Was it not paunched quickly enough.

Also as an aside. do you bother hanging a woody? and if you do hang any bird in the feathers. do you draw it out before hand?

#2 WVAM

WVAM
  • Member.
  • 491 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:surrey

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

There shouldn't be any reason for the middle bit (saddle) to smell assuming you did not contaminate it with the innards at any point. Always worth washing the carcass before you store or use it. There are also some glands on a rabbit that you should remove. They are either side of the anus, little cream / white bits and I think there is some fatty tissue on the top of the upper spine that should come off though not sure.
It is ideal to paunch as soon as possible but on colder nights I've left them till the morning without a problem. The flaps around the belly (skirt) aren't worth keeping and often come out quite tough. The saddle often has a very pronounced membrane over the meat which is worth removing by a fine cut along the side of the spine - it can also be tough.

For a quick recipe, take the meat off the bone and fry in a little olive and sunflower oil until tender, only a few minutes.

Woodies I usually breast as soon as I can, saves them hanging around. There are some good pics on the site under hunting on how to do this quickly. Saves all the effort/mess of drawing the bird.

Others will do it differently but it works for me.

#3 Guest_Noid_*

Guest_Noid_*

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

Maybe you nicked the guts when gutting it?
I did the same the other night and threw it away rather than risk it.

I generally soak mine in salt water over night after paunching and skinning then and poach the meat off the bone the next day.

As far as woodies goes, I've only ever done one but i just breasted it and left it in water in the fridge over night and pan fried it the next day.

#4 Devonlad

Devonlad
  • 8 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Devon

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE(Mikey Video @ Wed Jun 24 2009, 12:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry if this is a duplicate topic but i can't see where the topic appeared after i started it last time. Any way any help with the following would be great.

After shooting a rabbit i paunched it within 60 mins. then skinned and quatered it and left it in the fridge over night. cooked it the next day. fried some of it for a pasta dish and made a sort of stuffed roll from the belly flap and loin.

The legs tasted fine but the loin and tender loin smelled a bit like the guts and tased the same. (not that i have tasted guts but you know what i mean)

Did this happen because it was in the fridge and not the freezer or did i do something else wrong. Was it not paunched quickly enough.

Also as an aside. do you bother hanging a woody? and if you do hang any bird in the feathers. do you draw it out before hand?

I assume you emptied the bladder once shot ? if not, then in futire hold the rabbit by the forelegs and with the other hand press and run your hand down over the belly to the crotch, this will force out the urine, repeat a couple of times to ensure its empty, if left it can seap into the flesh with a smelly result, then continue to gut as normal without piercing the intestines.. Rabbit pee is quite good for attracting other rabbits to an area.. so if your aim is good bottle it in a small container, keep in a cool dark place.. "NOT THE FRIDGE" for obvious reasons..

Edited by Devonlad, 27 June 2009 - 01:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users